Ok so i really dont understand the ending. I get how tyler is his imagination and blah blah. he somehow killed tyler's personality and exsistance but how? I know he shot himself but how did he kill tyler without killing himself. i know he said hes putting the gun to "our head" but still...did he just survive just because of the fact its a movie? or did he use like an imaginary bullet or something to kill tyler. but if thats the case, why is he wounded?

help is appreciated.
And we will send you to whatever God you wish...
that movie still gives me a headache. Check the IMDB boards...

EDIT: From the boards

"The part of The Narrator's mind that was Tyler had taken over at that point, and was having sex with Marla. Owing to the narrators split personality, the part that was his "true" self just gave him memories of the event, but in the form of seeing not watching it. And he only shot himself through the cheek, not fatal. Causing himself a huge injury was evidently enough to destroy Tyler"

"The Narrator imagined he killed Tyler, that was his goal so that is what he thought happened. In reality, the bullet exited the Narrator's cheek."
Quote by Captain_Kickass
dreamtheater91 has destroyed my soul with that story

Squall Leonhart of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!

PSN name = liftingshadows
Quote by dreamtheater91
"The Narrator imagined he killed Tyler, that was his goal so that is what he thought happened. In reality, the bullet exited the Narrator's cheek."

so he could have shot himself in the toe and tyler would have still died cause he imagined he did? that confuses me because of the bullet hole you see in the back of tylers head.
It is really is quite simple, especially if you have read the book. Completely different though.

As stated before, his goal was to kill Tyler and therefore, since Tyler represented all his goals and who he wanted to be at the time, the injury that he sustained was enough along to kill Tyler as he shot himself and committed a deed that was associated with his goal, thus, his goal was achieved, he shot himself through the cheek and consequently, killed Tyler.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
The book makes more sense, read that. Anyway the book it makes it seem like he killed himself, but then he talks about being in 'heaven' which sounds strangly like a mental institution. So I assume he shot himself, didnt die the bullet exited his cheek or watever, then he was commited.
Well, Tyler was in his head, so when he shot himself, he thought he would be killing himself. And as he really thought he would be killing himself, he knew he would be killing Tyler, and was totally convinced Tyler would be dead after the shot. And as all of this was in his head, the shot killed Tyler because he was convinced the shot would kill Tyler (Basic brain functions); so the shot itself did kill Tyler, but was switched to an angle that would not kill him.
And as his brain is already f***ed up, he could end Tyler without killing himself (although he knew killing himself would be the only choice, that was why it worked)..

Damnit..^^ you beat me to it..
So Tyler represents his goals and his goal was to kill Tyler. So he was convinced by shooting himself, Tyler would die. So he shot himself and bang...goal accomplished? Makes perfect sense.
Quote by papertowelboy1
yea i didnt really understand it either. but that song in the end is bomb ass. tight movie though

haha Where Is My Mind? - Pixies. i agree, great song. great movie too.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by A_New_Level
So Tyler represents his goals and his goal was to kill Tyler. So he was convinced by shooting himself, Tyler would die. So he shot himself and bang...goal accomplished? Makes perfect sense.

So if Tyler represents his goals, and his goal was to kill himself (in order to kill Tyler), then Tyler killed himself?

But how will he have any goals from then further?
i guess he can still have goals. maybe his life is less confusing and is normal now that tyler is gone.
Quote by A_New_Level

Tyler more represented his deep down desire to be free of want. Ultimatly he realises Tyler is dangerous and is trying to take him over, thus he has to kill Tyler.
was tyler trying to take him over because he was trying to stop tyler from accomplishing his ideas with project mayhem?
Quote by A_New_Level
was tyler trying to take him over because he was trying to stop tyler from accomplishing his ideas with project mayhem?

I think that was partly it, but also because he was threatening to reveal he was mentaly unstable (in the book tyler tells him if he ever talks about him to anyone he will never come back). If he talked about tyler obviously someone would ultimatly realise something was going on.
You're looking too much into it. He shot himself in the head, and watched Tyler suffer the same fate. It was only later he realises the bullet had exited his cheek and he'd survived, but by then Tyler was already dead.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Yeah, he just had to "kill" Tyler mentally, and he thought he had killed him, and that was enough to get rid of him.