basically, I'm looking to record a version of Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd, and I'm curious as to how I can get a 12-string effect with a basic 6-string electric.

The guitar is running to the computer with no amp. I'm using Audacity to record and mix.

Any ideas?
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by nephilium
jellyfish pick

That's what I thought of. You still need the octave sound though.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
You can do it by 1) using a chorus pedal, 2) using an octave effect, or 3) restringing your guitar in Nashville Tuning (first two strings are regular, but the last 4 are an octave higher than usual).
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
You can do it by 1) using a chorus pedal, 2) using an octave effect, or 3) restringing your guitar in Nashville Tuning (first two strings are regular, but the last 4 are an octave higher than usual).

Huh. By first two, do you mean the thinner or thicker strings? and isn't that kinda dangerous? string breaks and stuff?

But, say I were to use the computer effects to, say, double-track the guitar part and then up the pitch to give the 12-string effect. how far would I need to up the pitch by?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
yes, the EHX POG or Micro POG can give you the 12-string effect. Also,(and I don't even know if this is something you want done) there's a pretty easy way to record through Audacity with your amp and effects. Simply purchase a 1/4 outlet splitter. Stick it directly in the input slot of your amp. Then through one side connect a cable to your effects and/or guitar just like you normally would, and through the other side connect a cable to your computer. Don't expect amazing quality but it gets the job done.
"I sorta don't trust anyone who doesn't like Led Zeppelin"
-Jack White
Actually, all I'm doing now is hooking the guitar into the line-in on my computer, no amp. gives it more of an acoustic guitar quality, which is what I want.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by Wulver
Huh. By first two, do you mean the thinner or thicker strings? and isn't that kinda dangerous? string breaks and stuff?

But, say I were to use the computer effects to, say, double-track the guitar part and then up the pitch to give the 12-string effect. how far would I need to up the pitch by?

It's a different string guage. A guitar in Nashvile Tuning is basically the other half of a 12 string guitar. D'addario makes a set of strings specifically for that purpose, or you can just use half of a set of strings for a 12 string.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Ah. that would involve buying something then. Still, interesting concept.

What I'm really looking for is something I can do to the audio after I record it, to get the 12-string effect. Since I can do that for free.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
You could double the track, and then crank the treble.
Or you could record it twice, once with the neck pickup and strumming close to the neck, and the other with the bridge pickup and picking close to the bridge.

It may not sound exactly like a 12-string, but it may very well help with that sound.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

well, yeah, but isn't there a certain harmony the strings of a 12-string are tuned to? or is it really just octaved? I'm not sure of the properties of the 12-string, honestly.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
The E, A, D, and usually G string sets are one regular, and one set an octave higher. The be and high E sets are in unison.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Okay, thanks, I'll try this tonight, see how it goes.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
I see people suggesting the EHX Pog but to be honest if you were going to buy that you might aswell just buy a 12 string altogether it wouldn't exactly cost much more, i mean i got a damn good electro-acoustic 12 string for 350euro!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Bossman123
I see people suggesting the EHX Pog but to be honest if you were going to buy that you might aswell just buy a 12 string altogether it wouldn't exactly cost much more, i mean i got a damn good electro-acoustic 12 string for 350euro!
You're joking, right? This guy doesn't even wanna buy strings ffs!
Quote by Wulver
Ah. that would involve buying something then. Still, interesting concept.

What I'm really looking for is something I can do to the audio after I record it, to get the 12-string effect. Since I can do that for free.
Keep looking. You get what you pay for.

You might come up with something interesting, but it WON'T sound like a 12 string.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.