So, I was offerd some studio equipment, free to use..
It contains ;

- TASCAM 2448 MK II, Thats a Portastudio with USB 2.0..
- Alesis M1 Active MkII, Pair of monitors..
- Studio Projects B1, A mic..
And a Shure SM57..

First off all I was wondering if that would be any good for homerecording.. Like, better quality than most people have around here...

And as a second question, I have around $500 left, and what could I spend that on?
Some Drum mics? A sound card, or can the TASCAM be used as an usb interface?
The Tascam is a portable recorder, not a USB interface. It is a fairly nice setup, great considering it is free. Personally I would spend $500 on drum mics, acoustic treatment, and cables.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Hmm, cables and acoustic treatment are a good thing..

Anyone here has experience with the Studio Projects B1, is it any good?
The B1 is an excellent condenser for the money. It's obviously not as good as a lot of high end mics, but I find that it can do a commendable job for vocals and acoustic.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by thrice_removed
The Tascam is a portable recorder, not a USB interface. It is a fairly nice setup, great considering it is free. Personally I would spend $500 on drum mics, acoustic treatment, and cables.

+1

As for the monitors, the Alesis and Event brand monitors tend to be very soft in the mids. I suggest some KRK RP series but I have yet to try the Alesis M1 Active MkII in person.

the recorder you are looking at a is a MTR which is a stand alone recorder as thrice said, you should only need a PC to connect via USB2.0 to get the audio from the MTR onto the PC.
Quote by moody07747

the recorder you are looking at a is a MTR which is a stand alone recorder as thrice said, you should only need a PC to connect via USB2.0 to get the audio from the MTR onto the PC.

So, is it possible to get not mixed down tracks on to PC.. Or should they be mixed down first?
ive not used a MTR before so I'm not sure if it sends a final mix down to your PC or all the final tracks to be honest.
I think they all differ.
try downloading and looking through the manual first.
The only MTR I have used is the Boss Micro BR. On that, you can export mix down or export individual tracks. I would go with the individual method mostly, as it gives you the freedom of editing with your computer.
There is poetry in despair.