So I'm doing music for the HSC and was wondering what did you guys play for your assesment(s) and what was your mark?

I am thinking of playing:

Swamphell - Kalmah
Eugenes Trickbag - Steve Vai OR Scarified - Racer X

Discuss.
Quote by devilscruffs14
once i banged a 5 year old chick, i love banging older women.

HAHA
You generally get two kinds of musicians in the Australian HSC.

Extremely good musicians who take your ass to school with their eyes closed/guitar behind their head.

And

The pop/punk guitarists who only pass the audition to University because of their repetitive yet catchy power-chord progressions.

The guitarists scored high 90s and got into Uni, piece of cake but the drummer dropped out, which is a huge shame.

Some of the musicians in my school are extremely good.
There's a bassist who can absolutely beat anyone in Sydney at bass guitar (Freaky finger technique, he's like BWOAH)
Drummer (He left before the HSC though but **** he's good)
He could do insanely technical **** like 250+ BPM blast beats and ****
Few year ago (bout 6 not sure)
Guitarist who was into shred and neoclassical and everything. He owned pretty much everyone.

I say do Scarified. It may not be the fastest song ever but it's insanely technical having to keep up with Semi-Quavers and maintaining clean playing/notes and the string skips at the end will surely impress the judges.
did you do music in the HSC? what was your mark and what pieces did you play?
Quote by devilscruffs14

HAHA
Personally, I haven't done the HSC just yet, but I've watched several performances of friends and other seniors.

You generally get an idea of what the bar is for most people.

About 30% of the guitarists who actually play well are shredders and the other 70% are pop/punk guitarists.

It's generally not too difficult to get a mark in the high 80s to low 90s if you can play Scarified perfectly.
woooow so u can play blitzkrieg bop or all the small things and get hi-90's? SWHIT!!
Quote by jimzer
woooow so u can play blitzkrieg bop or all the small things and get hi-90's? SWHIT!!

Not exactly, you need to play a more difficult pop or punk song to get into the high 90's.

A guy last year did a pop song for his HSC and was asked for an encore by the judges later in the year. He scored low 90s.
scarified wont score you well dude. its an amazing song and all, but it doesnt have the dynamics HSC markers go for.

the song is balls out, and in your face, but their is not much contrast. there is only speed, and lots of it. no dynamic = bad marks in HSC

im planning my HSC music songs now, being in yr 11 now, and ive only chosen one song

mr pink (live at the jazz cafe) - level 42

if you can paly scarified, your amazing, unless your doing it with pick > then again, being able to play it with a pick must mean you still ****ing good anyways

for my yr 11 yearlies i am gonna play YYZ - Rush, but for the keys break down, im gonna throw a slap solo in there
im in year 10 now and im looking at doing vce music next year...
i think itll be fun but i think ill write my assessment piece
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
Quote by flea_is_my_god
scarified wont score you well dude. its an amazing song and all, but it doesnt have the dynamics HSC markers go for.

the song is balls out, and in your face, but their is not much contrast. there is only speed, and lots of it. no dynamic = bad marks in HSC

im planning my HSC music songs now, being in yr 11 now, and ive only chosen one song

mr pink (live at the jazz cafe) - level 42

if you can paly scarified, your amazing, unless your doing it with pick > then again, being able to play it with a pick must mean you still ****ing good anyways

for my yr 11 yearlies i am gonna play YYZ - Rush, but for the keys break down, im gonna throw a slap solo in there

You can put in your own dynamics to Scarified.
I'm doing the HSC in 2 weeks time... I'm doing Dani California & Can't Stop by RHCP, with added guitar parts and stuff, and backing vocals... and I'm doing Pretty Handsome Awkward by The Used, but that's more to show off vocals than guitar work, although I added a solo towards the end of the song.

I wanted to play either Tears Don't Fall by BFMV, Nightrain or Welcome to the Jungle by G'N'R or Beat It by Michael Jackson... but I'm kinda limited by the abilities of my classmates. There's only 6 of us, and a few year 11s as well, so not a lot to choose from, which means we're limited to songs that the others can actually play. I guess it's kind of a disadvantage, but just have to make the best of a bad situation I suppose.
Out of curiosity, what is HSC?

I guess it's just an Australian thing, never heard of it.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
Yeah, it's the Higher School Certificate... it's the exams you do in your final year of school (year 12) if you live in New South Wales (the other Australian states have different names for it). =]
Hmmm since this was 7 months ago my song choices have changed. Im thinking of playing some Andy Mckee because that seems to get good marks and has large ranges in dynamics etc. All out shred isnt that good for marks ive found out.

and the HSC is the Higher School Certificate which is like the final exams in year 12 and based upon your results you can choose certain uni courses.
Quote by devilscruffs14

HAHA
Quote by TubzyX
Hmmm since this was 7 months ago my song choices have changed. Im thinking of playing some Andy Mckee because that seems to get good marks and has large ranges in dynamics etc. All out shred isnt that good for marks ive found out.

and the HSC is the Higher School Certificate which is like the final exams in year 12 and based upon your results you can choose certain uni courses.

looks like he got my advice from someone else, a long time ago

my friend and i were considering playing sacrified for one of our assessment next year, but we soon realised problems

its a great song, just it isnt what markers look for
I'm in year 11 now and the performance is coming up. There is only me and another guitarist, and we only play metal. We have no idea what we are going to do, I don't think backing tracks are allowed.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
In Victoria we have a set syllabus for solo performance in year 12, so we can't choose anything we want. The songs on you list you can choose are good songs though. I'm doing Under the Bridge by RHCP, Sisters by Steve Vai and Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits. I think I have to choose one more as well.
im doing nothing else matters and fade to black cos im a noob
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
BrockTandem - I did Under The Bridge for my last assessment and got 94% for it, so if you do it well you should be okay. I did Sultans of Swing in year 10 as well, got good marks... nice song selections
I have a friend who is doing Eugene's Trick Bag and he does a fairly good job, but it's ass by itself, just a flurry of notes. I personally am trying to keep my options open with my HSC performances, considering I'm trying for a scholarship in the International Conservatorium of Music for composition, so I am doing one ensenble piece of my own composition with my band that is quite technical and textured in dynamic, and one solo piece, which is the composition I am submitting (with a backing track that I have recorded that contains bass, drums, overdubs, pianos, strings etc). My other elective is a Musicology.

Essentially, what i envision the markers are after is a little bit of everything, not just mindless technicality like a lot of people think. I heard someone did American Idiot in an ensemble and got 89 because of the energy in the performance. I have tried, with my perofrmances, to mix technicality, diversity, unity, contrast, skill and energy/image into my performance. I mean, someone just sitting there emotionless, frantically going up and down scales won't impress, it's the energy and portrayal that contributes as well as you individual skill.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Last edited by IncubusMan999 at Sep 4, 2008,
^ We watched you guys on video the other day, nice job by the way, that bloke didn't do a bad job of Eugene's Trickbag either.

I'm year 11 but I'm pretty sure on two of mine, Lenny - SRV, and Fly Me To The Moon, Paul Gilbert's version.
HI
I'm doing mine in a years time and I was wondering, what is the format for it?
Is it a concert night thing? just in front of some teachers? or do they record you and send it off?
Also, I'm planning to do Death - Crystal Mountain (and maybe Spirit Crusher), Tony MacAlpine - Tears of Sahara and hopefully vocals for This Godless Endeavor by Nevermore.
I'm doing 4 performances. This is what they are with my trial HSC marks next to them and a youtube link.

Tall Fidder - Tommy Emmanuel (core) 8/10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjquoPYtB-c
Angelina - Tommy Emmanuel 18/20 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR04kmcSXU
Classical Gas - Tommy Emmanuel 16/20 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQJ1k2HMoRU
Starry Night - Joe Satriani 17/20 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQA4359xbkA

Quote by 3lusiv3
I'm doing mine in a years time and I was wondering, what is the format for it?
Is it a concert night thing? just in front of some teachers? or do they record you and send it off?
Also, I'm planning to do Death - Crystal Mountain (and maybe Spirit Crusher), Tony MacAlpine - Tears of Sahara and hopefully vocals for This Godless Endeavor by Nevermore.

They bring in external markers that mark you. You enter the room and you're not allowed to play anything but the piece you're playing. (You're allowed to tune). You bring your ensemble in when they're playing and they can't stay in there if they're not playing. There's 3 markers and they basically only say "thankyou" at the end of your piece and "when you're ready" at the start. They also time you so you don't go over 5 minutes.
haha im doing my final hsc performance on thursday 11th september (thank god i want to get ti done) i am doing it on sax tho. but i can tell you what they like and what they look for. alot of people will be like wtf is he talking about but listen anyway.

you need variety in styles, you need to show off EVERYTHING you can do. so eugene's trick bag is perfect for showing that u can shape phrases with dynamics (like as the pitch increases increase volume and visa versa). and it is a slassical style so there itself is one style covered.

every song you do you need to be featured, are you doing 4 performances or a different elective?

basically what i have is

-charlie parker song - a really fast jazzy be-bop piece
-cute- big band swing song
-concertante- a classical-esque song that has piano accompaniment
-introduction dance and furioso- a neo classical/contemporary piece

. the finer details is what gives the higher mark, you are much ebtter off doing something that you can do better but isnt as hard then something u can scrape in with then is difficult.

i know im rambling on now but i have my marking sheet for my trial and ill show u what they mark it on

technical fluency
phrasing
dynamics
expressive techniques & performacne techniques
intonation
communication/presentation
stylistic interpretation
mucality

if you want to know what specific thing in each area ask and i will share ^^
Gear:
Maton MS503
Squier Strat
Randall RG75DG3+
H & K 100W Switchblade
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Digitech Crossroads
Digitech Jamman
Zoom G1

Quote by Sol9989
Caramello wins life.

Quote by A8039077
Caramello, that's mother****ing genius!
ah that marking criteria helps heaps. yeah i decided against shred pieces mainly because there is little variation in them. I am doing 4 pieces but havn't completly decided on them yet. Im thinking of composing a piece which will allow me to show off all different styles etc.
Quote by devilscruffs14

HAHA
You need to remember there are two different Music courses, Im doing the first one, because it the only one we can do.

I haven't really got very complex songs, but me and my friend (keyboards) are doing a song or two with fairly high levels of improvisation. Jazz is a great style, most musicians love it and it demonstrates many aspects that you are getting marked on, I kind of made a mistake, but i've learned so much by choosing music considering I started guitar halfway through year 10.

I also have one heavy song, just because i've wanted to do something like it. Pull Me Under, which I got 17/20 and im pleased.
Last edited by silly hats at Sep 4, 2008,
Quote by StratPat
^ We watched you guys on video the other day, nice job by the way, that bloke didn't do a bad job of Eugene's Trickbag either.

I'm year 11 but I'm pretty sure on two of mine, Lenny - SRV, and Fly Me To The Moon, Paul Gilbert's version.

Oh dude, you guys saw us on DVD as well? Damn, I thought my one was shit performance, compared to how I usually do it. Then again, I didn't have my band and massive pedalboard, so it sounded kind of empty, and I couldn't use the dirty channel.

Nice choices though for your pieces. You pretty much can't lose if you know what you are gonna do early.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by fretsonfire74

They bring in external markers that mark you. You enter the room and you're not allowed to play anything but the piece you're playing. (You're allowed to tune). You bring your ensemble in when they're playing and they can't stay in there if they're not playing. There's 3 markers and they basically only say "thankyou" at the end of your piece and "when you're ready" at the start. They also time you so you don't go over 5 minutes.

Five minutes?!
I can probably shave seven seconds off Crystal Mountain, but I can't take 3.5 minutes off TGE.
Oh well.
Last edited by 3lusiv3 at Sep 4, 2008,