I've been playing for a while now. But i have serious issues with slides... Everytime i try to slide over a few frets, it sounds like im individually fretting them. I don't get that smooth slide sound!

HELP!!!
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.

I think you could be pressing down on the strings too hard.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
That's it, pressing too hard. You want the slide bar to press hard enough to produce clear notes, but not hard enough to touch the frets. Raising the action helps too. I switch from regular picking to slide a lot, sometimes in the sme song, so I keep all my guitars set a bit on the high side for slide playing, about 1/8" at the 12th fret. (pretty average for a lot of pro players too, according to a magazine article I had a while back, htat's the same height used by Clapton and Gilmour) It works well, I can still play finger style guitar with no trouble, and can handle slide without banging on the frets too much. I have a lot of trouble playing slide on guitars with low action, they tend to bang on the frets bad and I've been playing slide for 30 years, I've gotten pretty decent at it and I know how much pressure to use. But low action still makes me hit the frets.

I also keep a couple of guitars a little higher and in open tunings (G and D), but mainly because they're el cheapo guitars and don't have great necks, but el cheapos are my favorites for slide. In general though, everything is very close to the same, even the higher ones are only about 1/64" higher, not a lot really. HTat makes them a bit harder to play, but not enough to be a problem, the action just feels a bit high.

It takes time and practice, you have to develop a feel for how hard to rest the slide bar on the strings. It might help to think of it as resting the bar on the strings, not pressing it. It takes a light touch and a pretty relaxed left hand. Then you have to also be able to muffle the strings behind the slide bar with another finger, that also takes a very light touch, you don't want to push the strings closer to the frets while trying to mute, then the slide bar will again have problems hitting the frets. It's not easy, but with time and practice you can get the hang of it.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Thanks a lot guys. The problem is that I don't use a slide bar. I mean, im not into those songs which really have tons of slides or anything. But some guys do decent slides without the slide bar... Anyways, my guitar has low action...
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.