I played one the other day and the sustain was a lil much. anyonew else think so or do u think it has the same amount as a les paul?
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
its like saying a fender sounds TOO smooth and clean, it just is what it is. taking the crunch away from an sg is like making eric clapton speed metal
All good replies. Also, don't confuse "crunch" with sustain. Both are very different terms meaning totally different things. Sustain is the duration a string will ring out. Pluck a string, how long does it ring for? What you call crunch tho is simply a term, used loosely I might add, to describe how hard hitting a guitar sounds. It's not all that accurate either. The pickups generally are responsible for how powerful an electric guitar can sound. Stock SG pickups are pretty much in the middle of the road. Mine are at least on my SG Faded. They can be hotter (more powerful) or cooler, all depending on the desired sound. Want to check out some real power? Give a Tony Iommi signature special Gibson SG a try once. Pump it through any quality Marshall amp and you'll know what I mean. The Iommi pups are hot.
im getting a sg standard. Can u play clean on it or is it just all rock soundy? Or does it sound exactly like a les paul
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Last edited by silly6-string at Feb 2, 2008,
A note doesn't sustian! It quickly dies. Pluck a string on an unamped guitar and see how long it rings before it is out of the human hearing range. It is only electronics that keeps the note going. Crudely, ramping the sound as the note dies to try and keep it even. You'll get more sustain at loud concerts because the volume effects the strings!

Pick-ups should be tested quiet -- not loud. Like a hi-fi. If you have a clean and clear sound - you can get everything else through electronics. Remember that when trying a guitar is store! From what the poster is saying is that if he turns everything up to 11 it sounds almost over the top. Yes - it is!
Stop showing off and play the music!
95% (BS statistics) of your sound comes from your amp. Any guitar can be used to play any style. I play death metal riffs on my Michael Kelly hollowbody.
wtf is TOO much sustain?
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660