I want a new guitar (i have a squier strat right now) and im wondering, should i get the cheaper G-400 or pay £100 more for a les paul custom. what are your thoughts. (i have a 160 watt peavey amp and i play green day, foo fighters,mcr occasionally some oasis)
go try em out see what u like, but youll enjoy the g-400 much more for that pop punk green day. if your a fifth chord junkie then the g-400 or if u also do leads then get the lp, thats my view. gl
try on both and see which one's more comfortable playing. Les Paul's are heavy guitars compared to some. So go to a shop n try both through an amp n which gets the better tone for your style..
I'm only Welsh, give me a break!!

Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Airline 2P DLX
PRS Tremonti SE
Fender Strat
Yamaha FG 450SA

Peavey ValveKing 212
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop SW95 Crybaby
Shit load of Picks
I love my g400 and can get a huge range of tones from it.
When you go to try it out make sure you play it standing up to see if you could cope with the neck heavyness or not.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Bear in mind, thanks to the different way Epiphone finish their guitars, the G-400 is actually tonally closer to a Gibson Les Paul, while the Epiphone Les Pauls have a thicker, darker tone than any Gibson model.

To an extent you can 'correct' these tonal differences with EQ settings or changing pickups, but without major tweaking and upgrading, they'll still always end up sounding a bit different.

That aside, the G-400 is generally considered better value for money. The quality is the same, but you just always end up spending more on any Les Paul model - they're simply always more expensive. So, if money is much of a concern for you, the G-400 is the obvious choice. Alternatively you could get the G-400 anyway and use the extra money you save to upgrade the pickups.

On the other hand, most people find Les Pauls more comfortable to use, as they are body-heavy and naturally hang down, while SG-types are neck-heavy and swing up, which some people find jarring. The LP is definitely worth considering. You should really try both out at the same time.
The G400 is the first choice. If you want the LP the standard (plain-top) seems to me the best value.
Quote by 5dilloneastoe
I want a new guitar (i have a squier strat right now) and im wondering, should i get the cheaper G-400 or pay £100 more for a les paul custom. what are your thoughts. (i have a 160 watt peavey amp and i play green day, foo fighters,mcr occasionally some oasis)

lp custom.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by Peytonnn
have you considered a MIM strat?

Unless he goes HSS there's not much point as it won't suit his tastes.