I actually wanted to title this thread: "Bogner Uberschall v. Framus Cobra v. Soldano SLO," but, I think the Soldano is so different-sounding from the Cobra, that I thought I'd leave it out. Although, on second thought, I would really welcome comparisons of all three if you have them (however, please reserve comment to amps you've actually played). I'm looking to play all types of metal sounds and don't really care about cleans. My current amp is a non-plus, 6505.

• Soldano SLO

This was the first amp that made my jaw drop. To me, it's a Mesa/Boogie-ish kinda tone, perfected. Lots of gain, and a nice, throaty, full-sounding distortion. Crisp mids and highs. Well-defined lows. Not as muddy as Mesas. But, has that nice "pure" Mesa-ish guitar tone that's excellent for totally unaffected-sounding leads.

• Framus Cobra

Incredible frequency range. Plenty of "fizz" if you want it. As another UG'er put it, it has lots of "sizzle." Similar to my 6505, but of course, much, much better-sounding, and with excellent cleans. Most notable about the Cobra, I found, is its ample, "thumpy" bass response. 'Course, I've only heard this head through a very "thumpy" Divided by Thirteen, Greenback-filled 4x12. After playing through the Cobra, I had no interest in the Soldano anymore.

• Bogner Uberschall

This is the only amp of the three I've never actually played through. I listened to the Bogner online demos, and of course, they sound very awesome. If anyone can make comparions of the Uberschall to the other two, I would appreciate it.

Now, I'm thinking, about how much I loved my 6505 at first for its "fizzyness." And I think I see why some may tire of this. I still like "fizzy" and I'm having a tough time deciding if I like the more "sizzle-ey" sound of the Cobra, or the "purer," darker tone of the Soldano. But, I've read such high accolades about the Bogner Uberschall on this forum over the last several months, that I'm sure it's one of the three amps I will be considering.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

im incredibly jealous of you for being able to afford to even CONSIDER buying any of these amps.

i havnt played through any of them personally, but ive heard them all used once or twice, and my personal favourite is the soldano.
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by jeowy
im incredibly jealous of you for being able to afford to even CONSIDER buying any of these amps.

i havnt played through any of them personally, but ive heard them all used once or twice, and my personal favourite is the soldano.
Well, after playing the Cobra a few times at Guitar Center recently, I was ruined. I've been going back and forth, deciding whether to send my 6505 to FJAmods, or to just buy something else. I got an incredible deal on the 6505, so should I decide to sell it to help finance the purchase of a new amp, I should get back nearly what I paid for it.

But the sound of that Cobra just won't leave my head, and it's been really hard to get back to playing my 6505 after that experience. And lately, I've been kinda Jonesing for that Soldano sound again. Just can't decide.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

The Uberschall is completely different from the cobra and SLO. The uber has a very loose muddy low end especially at low volumes. It is very very very dark probably darker than any amp i have played.

My personal fav from the list you mentioned is the SLO. Great great amp. Unfortunatly it is rediculously expesive. If you want a good alternative look at the Soldano Avenger it is a one channel amp that is supposed to be the SLO Od channel while it doesnt sound just like the SLO it still slays, and is much cheaper i think you can get them used for about 1200 USD
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Horlicks
Why not invest in a decent cabinet?

+ 1.

It'd seriously give the 6505 an entirely fresh sound.

In a good way.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Syn Harvest
The Uberschall is completely different from the cobra and SLO. The uber has a very loose muddy low end especially at low volumes. It is very very very dark probably darker than any amp i have played.

Definitely. If you want an Uber type sound without the muddy over-dark voicing, look into the Splawn Nitro. It's what the Cobra lead channel is to the Recto, for the Uber, if you get me.

Also, the new cab idea is a good one - a good cab makes a whole world of difference, and is something you'd keep even if you upgraded the amp.

I think getting your 6505 FJA modded would be a great plan, they really sound amazing. That combined with some visual mods and you'd be left with an awesome sounding and unique amp, but if what you want is more versatility then I can understand wanting to change the amp altogether.

EDIT: Hearing a 6505 sound like this makes me wish I still had one.
Last edited by Nolly at Feb 2, 2008,
I've found the Uberschall to be less muddy than people say. It is darker than the other two, which are quite bright heads. The SLO has a very clear tone with the most definition. It is phenomenal for leads. The construction on SLO's is also amazing. They use very high quality parts and great methods of assembling them. The cobra, is very fast and aggressive. It doesn't have as much low end thunk as the uber, and I'd say not as much as the SLO either, but I haven't played the cobra much. The cobra also has great cleans. I didn't really like the cobra as much as the others. The construction on the Cobra is not nearly as good as the SLO. I haven't seen guts of the Bogner, but I suspect that they are nicer than the cobra's. The bogner is a very saturated amp with a very punchy low end. I loved it for rhythm playing. I found it to be a bit tighter than people said (more defined and less muddy than a dual rec. for example).

Personally, I came very close to buying an über, then very close to buying Soldano (a Decatone, not an SLO), but ultimately got a Rivera KR7. I just got finished spending my first 3 or so hours of playing it, and I'm digging it.