I've been hearing "don't anchor" from every corner of the internet, and yet when I look at all the fast guitarists, they all ****ing do. I have yet to see one who doesn't anchor and is fast as hell...

Please, enlighten me.
Blackstar HT-5

Agile AL-2000 with Chrome Hardware
resting your right hand on part of your guitar, usually for stability.
Shawn Lane - fastest ever

And anchoring is when any part of your hand(mostly the pinky or palm)touches any part of the guitar near the bridge to provide a guide sort of.
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
Rusty Cooley & Shawn Lane. Both easily the fastest, most consistent and relaxed players ever.

^Also, MAB anchors like a bitch.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Batio definitely anchors. I went to a clinic late last year and he said he rests his pinky and ring fingertips against the body of the guitar for stability. Heard it straight from the guy's mouth.
Gear: Schecter Damien FR
15W Crate amp
Danelectro FAB Distortion pedal
Quote by rizo299
This thread is a bit curve-full, as in it has lots of curves, but no point.
Quote by dsubstanceuk
How is it even possible to play amazingly fast without anchoring? There's no stability otherwise!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XDhg9zKqnzk

and

http://youtube.com/watch?v=57q5zdvMw58
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

*Facepalms self over this bloody topic*

This is a source of massive arguments between achor-ers and non-anchor-ers and to be honest, this argument about "My hero and other people anchor thus it must be a freaking waste of time" is rather tiresome, and there's probably no less than 12 of these in the MT sections first 5 pages

Do whatever you like and try it out; the simple fact is that it DOES relieve muscle tension and so can make you alot more free to move and speed up; BUT many players haven't developed this and so have adapted, hence types like John Petrucci and how many people have

Shawn Lane is a grea example of not anchoring, he makes my eyes bleed with fluidity

I don't anchor, and i'm converted to it, but give it a try regardless of whether or not your heros do it
Last edited by philipisabeast at Feb 2, 2008,
Both work, just one may work better than the other, depending upon the person. I don't anchor at all and I can still play pretty quickly. Its all in how comfortable you feel doing it or not doing it.
Gear: Schecter Damien FR
15W Crate amp
Danelectro FAB Distortion pedal
Quote by rizo299
This thread is a bit curve-full, as in it has lots of curves, but no point.
I always anchor, no one ever told me or showed me about doing it but thats what I naturally did when i started playing guitar.
Quote by kyrreca
You could get $1000 custom made pickups hand wired with Eric Johnsons pubic hair, and they'd still sound pretty bad through a ****ty solid state practice amp.

Quote by Geetar_Axel
Really? I thought Frontmans where highly respected around here?!
^Absolutely, I started exactly the same way and anchored as that's just how I thought you played the guitar and it served me fine for a couple of years and without the internet I wouldn't have discovered that it's possible to play with more ease through not anchoring, so I tried it out and I liked it and it's stuck for me personally

But it was purely down to the internet alone that I found it, and most of these guitar gods relied on their ears and themselves to learn, they didn't have the wealth of resources we have now
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Shawn Lanes legato doesnt count. I dont anchor when I play legato either but I think were mainly talking about anchoring while alternate picking...

At 2:40, he picks the whole thing.
Quote by dpv
they are both using their forearm as an anchor; still anchoring.

Shawn Lane indeed lightly anchors his forearm, but that's still a lot less anchoring than planting your fingers on the guitar. As for Rusty, see 1:20, or most of that video and look at his elbow area. You'll see his arm is completely free from the guitar.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9