I'm preparing to do my second custom guitar job and I'm after some paint. The first project I did's paintjob didn't come out very well because I didn't use Nitrocellulose.

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get this type of paint and clear coat. If not in Australia, maybe an American place that would post to me.
Quote by The_Burnanator
I hate it so much when people quote themselves in sigs!!

Quote by The_burnanator
I'm preparing to do my second custom guitar job and I'm after some paint. The first project I did's paintjob didn't come out very well because I didn't use Nitrocellulose.

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get this type of paint and clear coat. If not in Australia, maybe an American place that would post to me.

I'm pretty sure StewMac would ship overseas. I think ReRanch does, too. When ReRanch asks for your login, it just means the owner is traveling on business ... just try again later.

Another option for the Nitro clearcoat is Deft, usually sold at bigbox DIY stores. You may have similar brands there and at US $4/spraycan, an awesome bargain compared to the typical $16/spraycan from StewMac or ReRanch.

Good Luck!

No overseas places will ship nitro.

Durobond paints in brookvale sells nitro (there 851 guitar lacquer), This is the same stuff used by Gilet guitars.

Mirotone also sells a nitro lacquer, if i remember correctly this is where ormsby guitars get his(?)

I also believe that wattyl sells a nitro as well, and VHT sells nitro in a can available from some supercheap/autobarn/repco stores.
if i use nitro for clearcoat, do i also have to use nitro colourcoat and sanding sealer?
or will waterbased stuff do for those 2?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Depends what your using underneath it. But I wouldn't go using a waterbase under nitro as they are generally softer.
sure thing perry, i'll contact you when i get up to the finishing stages.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer