Hey guys,I've been thinking about getting a new guitar for quite some time now as well..This is probably my 3rd post on the subject =x..Sorry about that guys..But I really need your experience,advice and opinions.I went to the Guitar center today and I tried a Fender US Deluxe strat HSS..Maple Fretboard,C1 Noiseless pick ups I think, graphite bridge,locking tuners....It was sweet, liked the humbuckler feel as well as the versatility with the single coils..But when I used the single coil in the neck for rhythm, it felt like it didn't have enough "umph" in it...I'm not sure if its just me,being a metal head myself, I usually play HSH guitars,and very used to the rich bucklers, but I thought I'd try something new...Well I could always change the pick ups after a while but..I want a guitar that can also do cleans as well as give a bit of crunch...I've looked at the Ibanez S series and liked what I heard, only thing is that I was thinking of getting an SV series Ibanez but they don't sell them at the Guitar Centers here...So I can't try them out...Anyway, anyone have any opinions on the Fender?Thanks in advance guys!!
Try Ibanez RG prestiges. Great cleans and one of the best metal guitars.
On the topic of Fender, they are not metal guitars. your typical rock - yeah, but not for heavy stuff.
Proud member of the UG Hate Crew

Laguna Loire of the Final Fantasy Elites - PM metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Go with the fender and replace the neck pickup with a Seymour Duncan Lil 59. It is a humbucker in a single coil size and it sounds good distorted or with cleans.
http://www.americanmusical.com/item.aspx?i=SEY%20SL591B%20WHT&src=D0407FG0HAMS0000SEY%20SL591B%20WHT&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
sorry dude but for cleans Fender>>>>>>>>>>>Ibanez. Try a Tele, the thick body gives it a much more punchy clean tone.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Thanks a bunch guys, but how about strats with metal and rock? Are they just for cleans?
i hav a fender mex HSS strat and i threw away the fender pickups and replaced them with an EMG SA 81 set and the sound comaprence is unbeliveable between then and the fender pickups

so if ur wantin gd metal and rock tones for ur fender throw on sum of ur fav pickups like dimarzio, emg and seymour duncans are probs the best ones to go wi
My strat has the Sd JB pickup in bridge and 2 SD lil59 pickups in the mid/neck. They work pretty good for metal/hard rock. I don't know about death metal or anything but they get the job done in my strat.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
But will you still be able to pull off good cleans?I was thinking of putting on some Duncans on it if I get it..If not Dimarzio Fastracks or Evolutions for the neck n middle...Maybe a breed or PAF Pro for the bridge if not another evo..
Last edited by shadowbane91 at Feb 2, 2008,
I love the cleans in my neck. The thing is, although the lil 59 is a humbucker that fits in a single coil slot, it is the best of both worlds. Good cleans in the neck but can be overdriven for a sweet sound.
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Thanks heaps man!!!This might seal the deal with the strat...I already have a good half decent guitar that is a HSH Washburn WG208 which was discontinued ages ago,its one of those under $300 guitars but it plays alright...It plays nice clean, but I don't think it can pull off blues or jazz well but with dimarzio evo's I bet it could kick some major butt...I was thinking of getting a versatile guitar as my dad agreed to sponsor me a next level guitar, so I was thinking of either this Fender American Deluxe strat or the Ibane SV5470, however the SV5470 is hard to get in australia, and the only way is to order it...So I won't get to play it...but the strat impressed me and I probably can do without the extra 2 frets.. Thks guys