I've been playing for about 13 years but I feel like my level is more like 5 years. I can play some moderately difficult songs but nothing too technical. The obvious solution is play more, but I am self taught and tend to fall back on the things I already know.

Actual lessons are not available where I live, are there any quality books, exercises, ect., that someone has truly learned from?
try learning a bunch of different scales. that would definetly help your playing ability
I broke my G string
Ultimate-Guitar.com sort of taught me everything. I started playing things as the Goo Goo Dolls and Pink Floyd by tabs, and if it was too hard I'd play Nickelback or 3 Doors Down. After that I was able to do things as Alter Bridge, Guns N Roses and Led Zep and now I am into Dream Theater and Metallica. It's just a matter of covering everything everything in your sight. It is, in my opinion, the best way to train your technical abilities, and you learn thousands of licks you can use to improvise.
I can play some of Clapton's "Tears in Heaven" but I trip over the bridge and still can get the chorus. I can play "Across the universe", and most songs that don't require too many complicated chords.
I can also play Goo Goo Dolls "Name", the lead looks simple on this site but I can't seem to get it.
Quote by rich_emm
I can play "Across the universe", and most songs that don't require too many complicated chords.

That's part of your problem, shying away like that. Find something complicated that you like then practice the hell out of it. Break the song apart and only learn certain parts at a time. To get better you have to push yourself, not just learn more of the same level stuff.

I imagine you're alot better than me, but, I've only had 3 months of lessons and been playing for a year and 3 months and I can play most of the Goo Goo Dolls "Name" that you mentioned. I try to push myself every time I pick up a guitar though. I'll spend 3 hours straight on a single song sometimes.