I really need an amp upgrade. I gave into temptation and got a good bass before a good amp and now I'm feeling that burn, so I'm having to use house equipment wherever I go. And they generally have horrible, horrible amps so I can never get the tone I want. Sadly, my budget is somewhat low.

What I'm looking at is the Ashdown MAG410T cab and the Ashdown MAG300 head. Does anyone have any experience with this? I know from word of mouth that Ashdown is very reliable, but sadly, I've only played through the head once before.

Thanks in advance =).
Low Budget? Go look at Carvin. They sound very nice and they don't break the bank. The only downside is that, you'd have to order it directly from them, so you can really try it out.
Ashdowns sound amazing for the price, I'm sure I've seen someone say they're almost on par with Ampeg. (I wouldn't go that far personally)
the MAG series is really good, and not just good for the price!

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Ive used ashdown for like a year now n i can get soo many sounds from it there well made n yer just reeeeely good amps but i think my next amp choice ill b a GK setup
GEAR
***BASS***
*Fender Jaguar Bass
*Fender Standard Precision Bass Relic
*Orange CR50 BXT Amp
*Electro-Harmonix Bass Blogger
***GUITAR***
*Squier Bullet Strat
*ESP EC-50
*Orange CR10 Amp
*Digitech Grunge Pedal
Quote by dancesisidance
Ashdowns sound amazing for the price, I'm sure I've seen someone say they're almost on par with Ampeg. (I wouldn't go that far personally)
the MAG series is really good, and not just good for the price!

I bought my Ashdown over an Ampeg and haven't regretted it, I'd say they're definitely on a par with them!

TS, Ashdowns are great amps, I have the ABM and love it, the MAG is still fantastic.

EDIT: Ashdown owners, join the Ashdown Army!

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ashdownarmy

Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Last edited by indie-bassist at Feb 2, 2008,
I have the exact rig you're looking at and it's f*cking fantastic. Even at 185 watts (you need another cab to get the full 307), it's nice and loud, and doesn't distort at all when cranked. You also won't have to go too far away from a flat EQ to find a great tone.

Tip- add a smidgen of the sub-harmonics, but not too much. Mine doesn't go past 8 o' clock. Helps beef out a little without messing your EQ.
That's excellent news haha. I think I'll go for that rig, then get a second cab later on.

Thanks very much everyone.
I just ordered the Ashdown After 8, it hasn't arrived yet but I hope it will be a good buy...

I was very tempted to go for cheaper amps though.
UG's Yellow Ranger

Go look at Carvin. On a budget no one beats Carvin. Check out the BR610 and BR615 for the basic "equivalent" of the Ashdowns. Really, they're much better spec-wise, and if I had my opinion, much better. Before you ask, no you can't try them out, unless you live in California.
It looks pretty impossible for me to get Carvin anyway. They have 2 dealers in the UK, and neither seem to stock the BR610 or the BR615. One will order it for me, but they no details on price etc, so I'd have to travel about 2 hours and go in store to find out.

That's a pain.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Go look at Carvin. On a budget no one beats Carvin. Check out the BR610 and BR615 for the basic "equivalent" of the Ashdowns. Really, they're much better spec-wise, and if I had my opinion, much better. Before you ask, no you can't try them out, unless you live in California.

I'd love to try out a Carvin. I want to see if they really are worth all the hype that surrounds them, I personally wouldn't buy something that I'd not played through and made sure that it's what I'm looking for, but most people who have tried seem to be pleased.
Quote by Bumper

you guys have made me look into ashdown

I was going to get the ampeg svt stack for 1500 but it sounds like a can get an ashdown rig thats about as good for nearly half the price
MUAHAHAHAHA I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA!!!

Unfortunately, I've never had a chance to try out a Carvin. I've seen a handful of Carvin shops though, but for some reason they're always closed when I go by them.

Anyways, I own an Ashdown MAG300 with the 210 cab, and I am absolutely pleased with it.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Or you could get a Carvin rig that's 1000x better for equal price. By the way, what ashdown are you looking at for $750 that's as good as an SVT?

Have you actually even played through a Carvin rig yet?
Quote by Bumper

Quote by indie-bassist
Have you actually even played through a Carvin rig yet?

*Points to Bale's sig*

Though, I did dive in on the Fulltone on his and your recomendations, and I love it.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
*Points to Bale's sig*

Though, I did dive in on the Fulltone on his and your recomendations, and I love it.

Yeah he's saving for one, I'm still none the wiser as to whether he's tried one out or not!

Ahhh I <3 my Fulltone.

Quote by Bumper

My Grand daughter was eight at Christmas, when she was a babe in arms I already had my first ABM500 head, since then I've had several pieces of Ashdown gear, the blue 10s and the horn sound ok whilst working but in reality they are far eastern speakers and I've had to replace a few but not with Ashdown but Eminence, the 2x10 + horn combo must be avoided as they (2x10s) just aren't up to the job, you should be ok with the 4x10 though. If the horn blows the ones I've dealt with have been sealed units therefore the whole unit needs replacing once again not with Ashdown's far eastern crap (honest).
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn