I usually sit with my guitar on my right leg with no strap, just smushing it between my chest and my leg. It's nice and I get no tension in my arm, but I guess it's bad for my back, seeing as I'm not sitting straigh.

So, I've started sitting straight using a strap, but now my left arms gets tensed up after a few minutes. I get, what my dictionary tells me is "lactid acid" in English. I've never heard that word before, but I'm hoping it is the one I'm meaning.

When I sit and play, using a strap, my guitar neck is pretty angled. It looks like this;

From this website, the dude is sitting in a somewhat similar position, with the neck angled at some sort of similar angel (second pic, top row);

http://www.guitarprinciples.com/Guitar_Technique/sitting.htm

But if I get...lactic acid...when I sit that way, after a few minutes, but the site lists the position as one you can/should use, what am I doing wrong? If I raise my foot up, well, how does that affect the position of the arm? Or are my arms simply weak and I should start working out? Or am I just not used to it and I should stick to it?

Anyways, if I alter the position a little, but then of course, that feels weird and unusual, I would be playing this way;

And finally, when I play sitting down, with no strap (the most comfortable of them all), the angle of the neck is as following;

So the last one feels good, and so does the second, but I'm just not used to playing that way. What am I doing wrong with the first one and should I just loose that position and start using the second?
Quote by ChrisN
...but before our bassist moved on to bass, he played guitar. He was trying to learn barre chords. To make his fingers stay, he sellotaped his whole hand to the fret board.
Then he got cramp and couldn't get the tape of without scissors.
Yes, but the no strap one is bad for my posture, and when I eventially start playing standing up I'll suck. I was sort of preparing for that .
Quote by ChrisN
...but before our bassist moved on to bass, he played guitar. He was trying to learn barre chords. To make his fingers stay, he sellotaped his whole hand to the fret board.
Quote by Sorella
Yes, but the no strap one is bad for my posture, and when I eventially start playing standing up I'll suck. I was sort of preparing for that .

well...i'm new to guitar too and when i practice standing i got no problem holding the gituar in the angle you use in the last picture, what's stopping you from using that angle while standing?
try to keep your left hand close to your body..so that your forearm extends from the side of your body.
Quote by Gego
well...i'm new to guitar too and when i practice standing i got no problem holding the gituar in the angle you use in the last picture, what's stopping you from using that angle while standing?

Oh, wow. A breakthrough just occured. I sat down like in pic nr 3 and put the strap just long enough so it would stay in the same position, and voilá, I was sitting with the strap on the guitar and then stood up. No tension!! Eh...hehe...it was that simple all along eh? I even remember hearing somebody saying it can be hard to go from sitting and playing to standing up, but that the trick is to keep the strap as long as it would be if you were using a strap when sitting, but that totally never went through to my head. I was always asuming you should CHANGE the position (and not keep it on the right leg but between your legs) and that's where I got problems.

Thanks .
Quote by ChrisN
Quote by Sorella
Oh, wow. A breakthrough just occured. I sat down like in pic nr 3 and put the strap just long enough so it would stay in the same position, and voilá, I was sitting with the strap on the guitar and then stood up. No tension!! Eh...hehe...it was that simple all along eh? I even remember hearing somebody saying it can be hard to go from sitting and playing to standing up, but that the trick is to keep the strap as long as it would be if you were using a strap when sitting, but that totally never went through to my head. I was always asuming you should CHANGE the position (and not keep it on the right leg but between your legs) and that's where I got problems.

Thanks .

No problem Mind if i ad you to friends btw?:p Wanna build up my connections here and since you seem to be new to it too