Right, I recently ordered a bass and an amp off:
http://www.thomann.de

I only realized after ordering that I had an extra 150 USD to spend, so I thought, why not buy a pedal or, two.

I have no need for them really, just something to mess around with, so any suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks a million guys.
UG's Yellow Ranger

What kind of pedals are you looking for? Distortion, multi effects, etc..? Im going to GC in about an hour to try out pedals so I might be able to recomend something when i get back.
Gear
Ibanez SR400QM
Squier P-Bass
Fender Rumble 100 2x10
Concertmate-990 Keyboard
BBE Stomp Sonic Maximizer
Squier Stratocaster
Fender 15w Guitar Amp
Quote by Micah_Bass22
What kind of pedals are you looking for? Distortion, multi effects, etc..? Im going to GC in about an hour to try out pedals so I might be able to recomend something when i get back.

Anything nifty.

I don't need a specific type, just something that I can mess around with and is decent value for money.

I guess a multi effects would be cool, if you see anything and have the time to let me know that would be awesome.
UG's Yellow Ranger

get a boss ME-50 multi effects pedal. they're awesome to play with.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
Quote by Your_Dad
get a boss ME-50 multi effects pedal. they're awesome to play with.

That costs a bit more than 150 USD

But one day, one day
UG's Yellow Ranger

If you are looking for a taste test of effects, a multi is a good choice. They're fun to practice with and you can get a feel for the effects you would use. I have a BP200 myself. I am not too sold on using them for gigging but for your purposes, its a good fit.

Just make sure that you don't get trapped in the "bright shiny" object mode of centering your playing around the effects pedal. They are addictive and can distract you from important woodshedding.
I just got a DOD FX25 envelope filter

Its really funky and fun to use and only 40 dollars
Check the FAQ. In it there are links to reviews and sound bytes of every envelope filter, octaver, and distortion on the market so far.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I'm actually going to say don't buy pedals just yet. If you think the money is going to burn a hole in your pocket invest in a couple sets of the best strings (rotosounds if you're new here) some books, and a nice heavy duty 15-20 ft. patch cord. Pedals are good, but I find you can get caught up in the, oh let's see what I can do with chorus, instead of the oh, this song would sound great with chorus, I'll add some. You should work on basic techniques first, before venturing into the world of effects. I know you're not going to listen to me, but I thought I'd just put my piece in.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I'm actually going to say don't buy pedals just yet. If you think the money is going to burn a hole in your pocket invest in a couple sets of the best strings (rotosounds if you're new here) some books, and a nice heavy duty 15-20 ft. patch cord.

You know what, that's actually a damn good idea.

Thanks, I think that's the best way to go.

I'll still be getting a pedal in about a month though when I get a debt payed back to me so thanks so all the suggestions so far and keep them coming.

You guys are great.
UG's Yellow Ranger

... A... new guy... listened to sane advice?!!?!?!?!?!! Somebody catch me, I think I'm going to faint... Man, please stick around and don't leave, we need more nice new people to balance out the idiots.
I would say get some sets of different strings, and try out different kinds to find out which you like most.

Just because a lot of people like Roto's, doesn't mean they're the best.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Yeah it does.

No it doesn't.

Baaaaaaaaaaa baaaaaaaaaa
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Yeah, thanks you guys, this is a far better idea, and to be honest I feel like an idiot for even thinking about pedals before the core stuff.

I see there is a large selection of strings for bass so I plan to buy different types and sizes.
UG's Yellow Ranger

Quote by Serideth
Yeah, thanks you guys, this is a far better idea, and to be honest I feel like an idiot for even thinking about pedals before the core stuff.

I see there is a large selection of strings for bass so I plan to buy different types and sizes.

Oh oh oh! A caveat here! You put up a warning light alarm!

Be aware that changing string gauges on your bass can require it to be setup again, since the tension on the neck can change as a result of going to a heavier string from a light and visa versa. Many newer guitar and bass players are not aware of that fact.
you went for new STRINGS>???

the multi-effect pedal is very fun to play with! I have the boss me-50b and I LOVE it! A volume pedal would be very handy during a gig! ANd if you're into metal the me-50b also provides stuff like flanger and deep filter: myung from DT uses those live pretty often. If I were yo I would buy a multi-pedal (and if you want save for it). They are very addicting.

jazz is going to call me an idiot, isn't he??
Yep, I'd just stick to the standard gauge string, and then experiment with a bunch of different brands. Some you want to look out for (in a good way) are Rotosound, Elixir, and Warwick strings. Some to look out for (in a bad way) are GHS Boomers (at least from my experience with them), and also D'addario (once again, mine died in 6 days. maybe a bad set?). I think once you get used to the general "rough" feel of Rotosounds, they'll grow on you. The tone is just great, if you ask me.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by neo_evil

the multi-effect pedal is very fun to play with! I have the boss me-50b and I LOVE it! A volume pedal would be very handy during a gig! ANd if you're into metal the me-50b also provides stuff like flanger and deep filter: myung from DT uses those live pretty often. If I were yo I would buy a multi-pedal (and if you want save for it). They are very addicting.

lol, probably.

And you just proved the point that these things should be labeled as dangerous as crack for new bassists. Yes they are addictive as hell. (Don't get me wrong, I was the same way when I got a synth wah too early on)

The only advantage of some of the better multis is that they do have drum loops built in. These can be great for practice and locking your timing. But you can get these from other sources as well.

Build your chops and technique and then think about pedals, because as I said previously, they can distract you. But if after playing a while, you want something to sample the world of effects, a multi is not a bad choice.
Quote by anarkee
lol, probably.

And you just proved the point that these things should be labeled as dangerous as crack for new bassists. Yes they are addictive as hell. (Don't get me wrong, I was the same way when I got a synth wah too early on)

The only advantage of some of the better multis is that they do have drum loops built in. These can be great for practice and locking your timing. But you can get these from other sources as well.

Build your chops and technique and then think about pedals, because as I said previously, they can distract you. But if after playing a while, you want something to sample the world of effects, a multi is not a bad choice.

The chorus effect on the multi actually made my chords sound better and because of that I wanted to learn them and practise them etc.
Quote by neo_evil

Nah. I'll do it for him. New players need to work on technique before they get let lose on effects. Bootsy and Tom Morello can make effects sound good, because underneath it all they are incredible players. Bootsy backed James Brown when he was just 18, which was a huge achievement.

Strings, a tuner, a good lead, a good strap and a gigbag/case are much more important items to own.

EDIT.

And this is why you need to not use effects when you start. You should be able to pull chords off an make them sound full and rich without using effects. If you continually use them, you start to rely on them to sound good.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at Feb 2, 2008,
Quote by gm jack
Nah. I'll do it for him. New players need to work on technique before they get let lose on effects. Bootsy and Tom Morello can make effects sound good, because underneath it all they are incredible players. Bootsy backed James Brown when he was just 18, which was a huge achievement.

Strings, a tuner, a good lead, a good strap and a gigbag/case are much more important items to own.

EDIT.

And this is why you need to not use effects when you start. You should be able to pull chords off an make them sound full and rich without using effects. If you continually use them, you start to rely on them to sound good.

didn't read the first line :P
Thought he had some experience
Neo, don't take this personally, because its not meant as such, but you also bring up another problem I have with pedals and newer bassists.

Yes, chorus pedals can make things sound better. But choruses and other pedals can mask issues with technique. A bass chord, if played well, should wonderful with or without an effects pedal. If it doesn't, something may be wrong with the technique being used or you just need to take it a bit slower and work on getting the right tone. I think its great when something pushes someone to practice more and gain new knowledge. But a pedal is not a substitute for solid technique.

[edit] which gmjack said as well. Damn, I need to learn to type faster...
Oh, I think I should point out, I'm not completely new to this, I did play guitar for two years, it's just I have no clue on anything bass related.
UG's Yellow Ranger

Quote by Serideth
Oh, I think I should point out, I'm not completely new to this, I did play guitar for two years, it's just I have no clue on anything bass related.

Then you're new at this. Bassists and guitarists have to have a TOTALLY different mindset. As far as I'm concerned, you start at the bottom rung of the ladder, along with everyone else just starting out on bass (no matter how long you played guitar previously).
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
Then you're new at this. Bassists and guitarists have to have a TOTALLY different mindset. As far as I'm concerned, you start at the bottom rung of the ladder, along with everyone else just starting out on bass (no matter how long you played guitar previously).

Did you read what you quoted?

"it's just I have no clue on anything bass related.".

I understand I know nothing to do with bass, but I was referring to things like restringing and such.
UG's Yellow Ranger

Last edited by Serideth at Feb 2, 2008,
Another tip you might want is to take your bass in and watch them set it up. It'll cost you $50 or so, but you won't regret it, plus you'll learn how to do all the stuff yourself. I never did that, but I probably should have. It would have made my life much easier.