I just got a new peavey royal 8 tube amp. This is my first tube amp. I really like the sound of the amp but have some questions related to hum. I new that tube amps hum but I just want to make sure what I am seeing is normal or not.

So I have been looking into the hum :

1) With my laptop power supply plugged into the same power cord as my amp I get lots more hum.

2) With the guitar cable (10' live wire) plugged in coiled up not plugged into the guitar there is a much louder hum.

2.a) touching the metal the plugs into the amp quiets it down a bit

2.b) uncoiling the cable makes the hum even louder

2.c) plugging it into the guitar with the pickups turned all the way down basically eliminates the hum.

2.d) turning the pickups up brings the hum back. If I crank the pickups the hum is quite loud.

This being my first tube amp is this normal? I am comparing this to my microcube with seems much quieter. Is there anything that can be done to quiet it down or is this just how tube amps are?

I also had a couple of questions about the amp in general (I just copied the below from the peavey forum where I was not getting any responses).

First about me. I have been playing for only a little while ( 6 months ) using a micro cube with my Epiphone g-400. I am very much a beginner and have never used a tube amp before. I picked the Royal 8 because I was looking for a tube amp but wanted a headphone jack for late night use that would not keep my kids up. I was just about to get a Vox da30 when I found the Royal 8. I hope that I made the right choice.

1) I like playing with the effects on my cube amp and while I know the Royal 8 does not have these built in I was wondering if I could use something like a line 6 pod xt. Wiring like this : Guitar -> Pod -> amp in ?

2) I would like to eventually add an external cab by wiring it like this : (Invalid img)

What can I expect this amp to push a 1x10, 2x10, a 1x12 or a 2x12 ?

3) related to number two. I thought this would be quieter then it is for night time practicing. Looks like I will probably add a attenuator. Eventually I would like to try doing an amp build so I was thinking of building one. I having been looking but have not found any plans. Any ideas where to look. If I do not go down this path I will probably get a mini or mico mass from ted wber's site.

4) I am planning on leaving the stock speaker in there for a while while I am getting used to the amp. But from reading posts it looks like most people like to replace the speaker. What are some good options?

5) I was watching the demo video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEu0NzSZ7RE) and was wondering about that pickup that allows you to go from single-coil to humbucker. What is that and is that something that could easily be swapped into my g-400? I loved the difference in sound that it made. I assume it has some sort of switch to change modes. could I just change the 3-way switch to a 4 or 5-way one? I am not afraid to solder as I used to be into rc cars and had to do it often.

Remember I am pretty green so if these are stupid questions I apologize in advance.<br>

thanks
Last edited by cleb at Feb 2, 2008,
i cant answer much past #5, but thats coil splitting that he does. usually, you would use a push-pull pot on your volume/tone knobs depending on which pickup you're doing it to. you would probably need new pickups and the push-pull pots.
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Quote by icon_player_5
i cant answer much past #5, but thats coil splitting that he does. usually, you would use a push-pull pot on your volume/tone knobs depending on which pickup you're doing it to. you would probably need new pickups and the push-pull pots.

Thanks... looked online after and found some sites for wiring these up... look pretty easy:

link : obviously for a different type of guitar but help in understanding the wiring
Sounds like normal tube amp hum. Just make sure to use a grounded power supply and good guitar cords, stay away from florescent lights, crt's, etc.
Quote by uldhppi
Sounds like normal tube amp hum. Just make sure to use a grounded power supply and good guitar cords, stay away from florescent lights, crt's, etc.

Yeah I had a friend come over and he said the same thing... I always worry when I get new toys