I wanted to hear how EMG's (81/85, 81/60, 85/81) sound like with a crunch-type sound, like a classic rock tone, and an Iron Maiden-type metal tone.

I was considering getting an ESP/LTD with EMGs, just wanted to see how they fair with other types of metal/rock.
They sound pretty good IMO. Especially the 60. Just go to a store and try it out yourself.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
EMG has some clips on their website. Just go to the specific model you're looking for, and they have both overdriven/clean clips.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
They sound pretty good IMO. Especially the 60. Just go to a store and try it out yourself.
My local shop only carries a few MIM strats, Squiers, ****ty Deans, and low end Ibanez's and Artcores.

I guess i'll have to wait til I get a ride to a GC or Sam Ash
Keep in mind that active pickups like those rely on having a good amp, more so than passives do. Of course, the amp is always going to be the most important part of your tone anyway - it's just that this applies doubly so to active pickups.

If you don't have a good amp (and by 'good', I don't just mean 'you could kind of gig with it'. I mean a proper, touring-quality rig), then EMGs (and in fact, all active pickups) tend to sound utterly awful. I cannot stress enough how important it is that you have a really good, proper amp rig for them. Your Peavy might just be good enough to do the pickups justice, but I wouldn't bank on it.
Quote by TJM2482
I wanted to hear how EMG's (81/85, 81/60, 85/81) sound like with a crunch-type sound, like a classic rock tone, and an Iron Maiden-type metal tone.

I was considering getting an ESP/LTD with EMGs, just wanted to see how they fair with other types of metal/rock.

I would recommend EMG 89's. You can coil split em to sound like Iron Maiden's single coil stuff. They have excellent cleans, and they have a really smooth distortion.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by TJM2482
I dont see what's wrong with my XXX, it's a mid-end tube amp.

EMGs are very sterile pickups. Lots of high end, cut really well.
Normally thats a good thing, but with an already sterile amp, it could be a bad combination.

Depending on how you EQ the amp, you could get a great sound.
Remember...90% of your tone is the amp.
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD Viper-400
Jackson RR3
Gibson SG Voodoo
Washburn Acoustic

Peavey 6505 head.
Marshall JCM200 TSL100 head.
Vader 4x12.

Maxon OD9.
Boss NS-2.
Cuz the Triple XXX is a bit on the bright side, i'd get an EMG 89/60A set, or a a 58 (yea, 58, it was the first model they made) for the bridge. I believe since the 60A is alnico, it should sound warmer and have a bit wider tonal spectrum, and the 89 is splittable. I liked the sound of the 58 i heard sounded like an 81 without the the hid mid focus. Like a tighter 85.