Thanks. Looking for a good distortion pedal for an older SS practice amp. Know it will only help a little, but what would you recommend to get more of ACDC, Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, JP distortion sound. No heavy modern metal played.
Quote by Evil_Magician
You should just get a decent tube amp and use it's distortion.

Need to have a small amp and am not at the point where I should spend a ton of money on a tube amp. Thanks though.
You really won't get the tone you are going for without a tube amp. The bands in the 80's that use pedals still primarily used the tube distortion, but they used the pedals to add to it. Even if you use the same exact pedals those guitarists use, it won't come out as the same sound because those pedals were complementing the tube amp distortion, not creating the complete tone themselves.

You might be better off just buying a Blackheart amp instead, I still haven't got to try one yet, but I've heard very good things about them. Those fit the need for having a small amp because they have 1 Watt and 5 Watt versions, too.
A Distortion Plus is a very good choice for 80's rock and metal into a solid state amp. I vote against buying a Blackheart of VJ. They don't have very much bottom end response at all, and aren't very tight tonally, which is something you need for 80's rock and metal. Likewis,e OD pedals like the Bad Monkey and TubeScreamer are nigh useless into a solid state. Your options are fairly limited to a D+, a DOD 250/YJM308, or maybe a Boss DS-1, as most distortion pedals are aimed at the high gain crowd, and are either heavily scooped in tone (Boss Metal Core, AMT Du Hast), thin, noisy, and fizzy (Boss Metal Zone, EH Metal Muff), or too modern voiced for what you need (AMT Extreme II).
Hmm. Check out a Proco Rat or a Tech21 GT-2 Sansamp. The GT-2 takes a bit of fiddling but you could probably get what you're looking for no problem with it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Hmm. Check out a Proco Rat or a Tech21 GT-2 Sansamp. The GT-2 takes a bit of fiddling but you could probably get what you're looking for no problem with it.

I forgot those too. also very solid choices.
Most of those bands you mentioned use Marshall JCM800's or at least have a very JCM800 tone, so I would highly recommend the Marshall Guv'nor pedal, it's perfect AC/DC, Maiden, most Megadeth, and early Metallica.

If that doesn't do it for you and you want something heavier then maybe the Marshall Jackhammer would do it for you. I haven't tried but I hear it's just a heavier and more distorted version of the Guv'nor.
Quote by CJRocker
A Distortion Plus is a very good choice for 80's rock and metal into a solid state amp. I vote against buying a Blackheart of VJ. They don't have very much bottom end response at all, and aren't very tight tonally, which is something you need for 80's rock and metal. Likewis,e OD pedals like the Bad Monkey and TubeScreamer are nigh useless into a solid state. Your options are fairly limited to a D+, a DOD 250/YJM308, or maybe a Boss DS-1, as most distortion pedals are aimed at the high gain crowd, and are either heavily scooped in tone (Boss Metal Core, AMT Du Hast), thin, noisy, and fizzy (Boss Metal Zone, EH Metal Muff), or too modern voiced for what you need (AMT Extreme II).

Thanks. Was considering a DS-1.
Quote by esy191
Most of those bands you mentioned use Marshall JCM800's or at least have a very JCM800 tone, so I would highly recommend the Marshall Guv'nor pedal, it's perfect AC/DC, Maiden, most Megadeth, and early Metallica.

If that doesn't do it for you and you want something heavier then maybe the Marshall Jackhammer would do it for you. I haven't tried but I hear it's just a heavier and more distorted version of the Guv'nor.

Thanks. Thoughts on Marshall Guv'nor vs. the Boss DS-1? The Marshall's another that I was looking at and forgot to mention. Thanks. At least feel like I'm heading on the right track.
I have Guv'nor and it's fantastic. can nail any Marshall tones

DS-1's are a flabby piece of ****.
An MXR Distortion or MXR DIII is definitely the way to go. I just got the aforementioned and it is the best distortion pedal i've ever bought - not too heavy, not too light - just right! Perfect for 80's metal/hard rock sound, with tone galore. It'd make even the crappiest amp sound good!
Quote by CJRocker

VERY good explanation!
Please excuse this dumb question. Should I be looking for an Overdrive pedal to use with my Marshall MG practice amp (please, no comments here, I'll get something better when I improve and can justify it) or a distortion pedal. I'm fuzzy on the exact diffs. Seen a lot when I google pedals and maiden for the DS-1 and SD-1. Haven't checked into Distortion Plus but will do so.

Again, sorry. Better questions for you in a couple of months.
Quote by Eddie NYC
Please excuse this dumb question. Should I be looking for an Overdrive pedal to use with my Marshall MG practice amp (please, no comments here, I'll get something better when I improve and can justify it) or a distortion pedal. I'm fuzzy on the exact diffs. Seen a lot when I google pedals and maiden for the DS-1 and SD-1. Haven't checked into Distortion Plus but will do so.

Again, sorry. Better questions for you in a couple of months.

Distortion. Overdrives are meant to drive tubes harder, and do little more than clip solid states, which sounds awful. Distortions are basically another channel.
Quote by CJRocker
Blackheart+ MXR D.+ = Good
Quote by Eddie NYC
Thanks. Looking for a good distortion pedal for an older SS practice amp. Know it will only help a little, but what would you recommend to get more of ACDC, Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, JP distortion sound. No heavy modern metal played.

if its just for practicing your probably better off with a cheap multi effects like a digitech RP150

all the tracks on my profile were recorded with one, the two guess that riff tracks are using the JCM800 model and might be pretty close to the sound youre after
Tracking some more demos down on youtube, etc. I'm liking the MXR Distortion Plus a lot so far.
I have a MXR Distortion + that I run through a solid state amp, and it sounds great.
Guitars-
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Dean Evo XM with EMG 81/85
Epiphone Stratocaster
Eastman AC120 Dreadnought
Martin Backpacker
Squire P-Bass
Kala Mahogany Tenor Ukulele
What's the difference between the Distortion Plus and the MXR Distortion III? One better than the other for me and the SS amp I'm using?
Quote by Eddie NYC
What's the difference between the Distortion Plus and the MXR Distortion III? One better than the other for me and the SS amp I'm using?

Distortion + - http://aronnelson.com/gallery/v/MrHuge/album98/CrazyDistortion.mp3.html

Distortion III - http://aronnelson.com/gallery/v/MrHuge/album98/Distrotion3CarryOn.mp3.html
Quote by Evil_Magician
You should just get a decent tube amp and use it's distortion.

amen.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Quote by ravenhaller
An MXR Distortion or MXR DIII is definitely the way to go. I just got the aforementioned and it is the best distortion pedal i've ever bought - not too heavy, not too light - just right! Perfect for 80's metal/hard rock sound, with tone galore. It'd make even the crappiest amp sound good!

Which one?