I posted this in the Gear Building and Customizing but i am not getting enough answers so...I am thinking of making the neck of my Epi SG Special unfinished. Anybody know how i would go about doing this w/o hurting my guitar too bad?
Hello
I guess just sand it down & polish it, but be careful to make it even.
Dean From Hell
Jackson USA King V
Randall RG-50 TC All Tube Combo
yea, fine sandpaper i guess
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
Polish it with what?
I want it to feel like the neck of a Squeir i guess...that is the only guitar that i can think of with a neck like that.
Hello
Quote by MXBoy11
Polish it with what?
I want it to feel like the neck of a Squeir i guess...that is the only guitar that i can think of with a neck like that.

lol, squier

you can use gun stock oil to finish it, or danish/tung oil. They feel good and are not sticky.
Quote by MoleMania
lol, squier

you can use gun stock oil to finish it, or danish/tung oil. They feel good and are not sticky.

Yeah, i didnt want to say it either, ut i just couldnt think of another guitar that i have played with an unfinished neck.

I have been told that if i dont put something on it, that my neck will warp. Is this true. If i use gun stock oil (like hoppes) will i have to apply it on a regular basis?
I just want to sand it, put something on it, and be done with it.
Hello
on my first beginner guitar, i just sanded the neck with really fine sandpaper. didnt put anything on it.

felt sweet, super smooth!
-Keep on listening to the great Joe Strummer. Cos through music, we can live forever.
Quote by wilson479
on my first beginner guitar, i just sanded the neck with really fine sandpaper. didnt put anything on it.

felt sweet, super smooth!

Did it affect the straightness of the neck. Did you sand it all the way to the wood?
Hello
no all you need to do is rub it with 0000 grit steal wool intill it is satin smooth. then run a cloth down it to pick up left over steal wool. it only has to be satin not down to the wood.
^^Yeah thats exactly what I did. Would it be bad if some steel wool particles got "magneted" onto the screws of my pickups?
Hello
Quote by MXBoy11
^^Yeah thats exactly what I did. Would it be bad if some steel wool particles got "magneted" onto the screws of my pickups?

no just grab a magnet an pull them off or a hair dryer will blow them off or just leave them.
but if you don't rub it off the neck it will get in your hand.