okay, so i am completely self-taught, never taken a lesson in my life.
but i'm actually a really good guitar player, and i personally think i am a very creative writer.

i just applied to the college i want to go to for music (Virginia Commonwealth University)
everything in the application process went fine

but at the end it said i had to go in and audition for either classical or jazz guitar.
i have no idea what either of those is or what i will have to do/play for them
i opted for the jazz guitar.

any ideas on what i might have to do.

i can read sheet music because i have taken band since 6th grade, however i can't exactly read the sheet music for guitar.

helpppp
you will need to play some music off of sheet music most likely...learn how to read for the guitar its the same as the other instruments except that theres no bass cleff
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by fifer
you will need to play some music off of sheet music most likely...learn how to read for the guitar its the same as the other instruments except that theres no bass cleff

it looks a lot more complicated than a concert band piece.
Quote by fifer

And that you need to read chords.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by Doodleface
And that you need to read chords.

is that difficult?
sorry about the double post.

i have about a month until i have to do this

should i get some lessons on how to read for jazz guitar?
... You have 'no idea' what either Jazz or Classical guitar is, and yet you're applying to study music? I'm rather at a loss...

Anyway. You opted for Jazz? Go to YouTube, type in 'Joe Pass'. Watch.
lessons wont hurt you
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
thats weird to me it looks really easy, I havent gotten it down to where I can read it and play it good, but I can read it and after a while play it better...just learn how to play notes on the guitar as well as chords...I dont know what else you would need.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by bokuho
... You have 'no idea' what either Jazz or Classical guitar is, and yet you're applying to study music? I'm rather at a loss...

Anyway. You opted for Jazz? Go to YouTube, type in 'Joe Pass'. Watch.

i have no speakers...
get some charts for some jazz standards... go to a music store and get some lessons before starting classes. Get a book of chords with alternate chord forms, ie the root first chord and all the inversions thereof.... your instructor should be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.chordbook.com/guitarchords.php here is a link to an online chord generator.

http://chordfind.com/ here is another.

http://www.jazzstandards.com/compositions/index.htm this is a link to a page with tons of standards.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Im sorry, but there is just no way you are going to be able to pass this audition. If you don't know what jazz guitar is, and can't read guitar sheet music then there is just really almost no chance you will be able to do it. Maybe if you practice and study non stop everyday with very little sleep and breaks inbetween.

Also, Brianthemayan, your sig disturbs me. Can't people believe what they want? It isn't up to you to decide what is right and wrong. Plus the fact that you can't prove or disprove a god exists.
I hate to have to say it, but I think you're somewhat screwed..you can't "learn" jazz in a month, and you can't learn anything that you don't listen to. Your course will likely require you to have a good working knowledge of music theory, particularly the minor/major relationship that jazz favours. You'll also need a good knowledge of chord construction and possibly be required to sight read sheet music.

In all honesty I'd save yourself the embarrasment and not go.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by FendermanOC
Im sorry, but there is just no way you are going to be able to pass this audition. If you don't know what jazz guitar is, and can't read guitar sheet music then there is just really almost no chance you will be able to do it. Maybe if you practice and study non stop everyday with very little sleep and breaks inbetween.

Also, Brianthemayan, your sig disturbs me. Can't people believe what they want? It isn't up to you to decide what is right and wrong. Plus the fact that you can't prove or disprove a god exists.

in my defense, i'm not completely clueless about the subject of jazz guitar. i know a few jazz songs, and a copious amount of jazz chords, i am just not sure what they are asking me to do for the audition.
i can read music, i just haven't really tried to read for guitar.
i am thinking about taking lessons.

either way if this doesn't work out, i could just major in music theory instead of music performance.
spend some time on the school's websites to get an idea of what you should be prepared for:
http://www.pubinfo.vcu.edu/artweb/music/guitar/audition.html
http://www.vcujazz.org/programs/auditions.html

sounds like it will be tough. i would really consider contacting either an undergrad student that's already there or perhaps a faculty member and asking a lot of questions.

Also, what exactly are your goals for this degree? some people do music education because they weren't good enough for music performance, doesn't mean they'll make a good teacher and subsequently enjoy teaching.
Last edited by black_box at Feb 2, 2008,
i learned all the theory i could.....i studied the hell out of theory and i can apply it to any genre and if i do say so myself i can play any style....but...you might need to know how to sight read
Quote by black_box
spend some time on the school's websites to get an idea of what you should be prepared for:
http://www.pubinfo.vcu.edu/artweb/music/guitar/audition.html
http://www.vcujazz.org/programs/auditions.html

sounds like it will be tough. i would really consider contacting either an undergrad student that's already there or perhaps a faculty member and asking a lot of questions.

Also, what exactly are your goals for this degree? some people do music education because they weren't good enough for music performance, doesn't mean they'll make a good teacher and subsequently enjoy teaching.

i might go into teaching, but it's more or less just to broaden my horizons.

i appreciate all the encouragement.
really i do, it means a lot.

i'm going to try to work my ass off.
Quote by Peytonnn
i have no speakers...

I'm sure you have some headphones or somting lieing around yoiu could use.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
- Get a teacher and lessons!
- Learn theory and practice practice practice.
- Since you play in band, try converting some pieces for your guitar to get your head round sheet music for guitar.
- Work on sight reading as well, essential in jazz.
- Improvising over chords, that's essential.

All in all... I don't think you'll make it with only a month. But hey, miracles can happen.