I dont understand why everyone bashes Marshall on here? If they are so bad, why do alot of famous people use them? Can someone give me a good explanation on why they are not good amps.

And "because they suck" is not an explanation
Hello
Quote by MXBoy11
I dont understand why everyone bashes Marshall on here? If they are so bad, why do alot of famous people use them? Can someone give me a good explanation on why they are not good amps.

And "because they suck" is not an explanation

some of them are awesome, i.e. jcm800.

but series like the MG make people think differently about marshall.

they aren't bad at all.
People only bash the MG series (and to a much lesser extent, the Valvestates) because while the low-watt versions are fine for practice, the 30-, 50- and 100-watt combos and stacks aren't worth their price tags. For the money you would spend on a 100-watt half-stack, you can get a brand new tube combo, or a used tube half-stack, and get a less-digital, fuller tone to boot.

I rarely see anyone who has problems with Marshall tubes.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
yeah its just the VS and MG series that suck. they truly do...sound, quality of build...i owned a VS for less than a month before it ****ted out. higher end marshalls are great though, if thats your taste. personally its not my type of amp but id never turn one down if i was offered one! haha
Marshall solid-states for the most part blow. Their tube amps are great, but can get a tad overpriced in some instances. Just do your research, I can't tell you how many of the metalhead kids buy Line 6 Spiders and MGs and despise them after they realized they got ****ed.
as has been said, people only bash the MG series, which are not true marshalls. MG used to be a crappy brand of amps called Park. Marshall bought them, slapped their logo on the front, and sold them as cheap practice amps. they break easily, sound weak, aren't very versatile, and the value to cost ratio is bad.

i, like many others, own an all-tube marshall head (dsl50), and it's the amp of my dreams.
Quote by DrNick
People only bash the MG series (and to a much lesser extent, the Valvestates) because while the low-watt versions are fine for practice, the 30-, 50- and 100-watt combos and stacks aren't worth their price tags. For the money you would spend on a 100-watt half-stack, you can get a brand new tube combo, or a used tube half-stack, and get a less-digital, fuller tone to boot.

I rarely see anyone who has problems with Marshall tubes.

i got a marshall hdfx combo for 600 aus and it sounds great, half the people that bash mgs just do it because a couple of other people who don't like do.
Quote by Tiksi
people who think that the tuning peg things have to be straight. I went to the bathroom once, I come back, and my friend detunified my guitar, and then asked why it sounded weird. ARGG!!!

mcROFL
Last edited by Burning Star 4 at Feb 2, 2008,
no one (at least very few people) have a problem with marshall tube amps, in my opinion, they're a little bit overpriced, but have a great tone that is on countless records and all, it's just the mg's aren't worth about anything in my opinion....i guess if you're starting out, and you get the small one's they'd be decent, but there's better options
The market is the market. People can't tell practise amps from giging gear. So they get mugged. There is nothing wrong with Marshalls - only the company wanting to sell cheap amps with cheap sound. If you have the money for the decent stuff they are as good as they ever were - indeed in real terms quality gear is cheaper than ever. I don't get this X are crap Y are crap. Mostly they are not, they are just not as good as the best! I wouldn't have minded a bit of Line 6 digital jingle jangle when I started out.
Stop showing off and play the music!
Quote by TJM2482
Marshall solid-states for the most part blow. Their tube amps are great, but can get a tad overpriced in some instances. Just do your research, I can't tell you how many of the metalhead kids buy Line 6 Spiders and MGs and despise them after they realized they got ****ed.

Tell me about it... at first, I bought a Spider III and it sucked... then I bought a Marshall MG30... and it sucks, too.
At least i have a Metal muff pedal and that makes it sound better, to me atleast.
NO one hates "Marshalls". They hate the MG series. And most of them jump in the bandwagon saying "Don't buy them they suck", Well they do suck, they are extremely digital sounding, very thin, and fizzy. But the 15 watts one is decent for bedroom practice, even though you can have better amps for the price. But anything more than 30 watts isn't for bedroom practice, the 50w or the 100w cost a fortune, and you could have had a better tube amp, or even a better SS amp with that price.

So the thing is, MGs are decent for bedroom practice, but there are better amps to be had. And the more expensive ones, the "louder" ones are overpriced.

You can get a nice vox valvetronix which is a hybrid. Or a valveking if you are looking for a tube amp, or if you are looking for an SS amp, the roland cube is way better than the MG.

I know because I had an MG for a while...
Quote by Burning Star 4
i got a marshall hdfx combo for 600 aus and it sounds great, half the people that bash mgs just do it because a couple of other people who don't like do.

I think you'll find a lot of those people have owned an MG at some stage and know from their own experience that they do in fact suck. If you get the chance to do a side by side with a Marshall tuber you'll see

btw I got my JCM800 for AU$750. That's the problem with the MG's, they sound average at best (personally I hated the one I had) and they're over priced because of that little white badge.
Marshall MGs are the equivalence of plugging your guitar into a cat's ass and trying to play something.

However, their tube amps are to die for. I love gettin' my hands on a good JCM800 or 2000.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
avts are crap too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's the MGs that suck. I personally don't like Marshalls very much because they're expensive and I find their tone a bit boring. I do, however, like their cabs.

Oh, and just because a lot of famous people use something doesn't make it good.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
Quote by Dave_Mc
avts are crap too.

True that.

Honestly guys MG's suck. My old frontman 15g was better than a 30 watts "dmxMG" or some crap, even with all it's built in effects that are basically useless.

This isn't me being OTT, it's true.
i played through my first mg the other day it was one of thr worst amps ive ever played through
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Quote by gruenburger
i played through my first mg the other day it was one of thr worst amps ive ever played through

Aren't they horrible? I can't work out which is worse the over drive or the clean.
Marshall Valvestates sound like they are battery powered. The gain on them sounds very thin and tinny.
Quote by Jackolas
Aren't they horrible? I can't work out which is worse the over drive or the clean.

the drive made me feel dirty
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
Quote by gruenburger
the drive made me feel dirty

Yeah, horrifyingly up to your ears in cow shit-dirty, not shagging your best mate's girlfriend-dirty
Quote by Burning Star 4

Wrong. I own an MG and it literally just sucks. The only way to sound good is to invest another $100 or so and buy an amp modeler.

But then, you could have just bought a better amp in the first place!
I haven't read what posts here but in direct reply to the threadstarter:

Marshallls are good amps. They are disliked cos of their MG and AVT range. Their tube amps are awesome.
However a reason I slightly dislike them isn't in their tone or anything, it's the false advertising they're given, like how they're the "best amps for metal" when actually Marshall are famed for their crunch and need an OD to hit mesa level gain.
eh. im not liking my DSL401 either. thinking a speaker swap and upgraded tubes would help...

but totally stock, no its not good.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
eh. im not liking my DSL401 either. thinking a speaker swap and upgraded tubes would help...

but totally stock, no its not good.
I agree. I don't really like JCM2000s in general. They don't really sound too Marshall-ish.
^but again, they have sovtek/marshall tubes and MG speakers... just blaming it on those...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^yea. at least the DSL401 i have (from like august 04???). the tubes were dated 08/04. and the output tubes weren't matched either. three of them had a bias point of 30. but one had 28. booo.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i dont midn the MG practice amps, i have a friend who plays one and theyre fine for metal. Be honest with you I DO have a problem with Tube Marshalls, they are too godamn expensive!!!! Marshall cutting the cheaper DSl and JCM series basically just cut out theyre middle and working class buyers. The ones available now are pretty much all 2000+ are they good? hell yea they are but you can get a Peavey or a Carvin or an ENGL for a much cheaper price.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Marshalls aren't actually that expensive thinking about it.
The DSL401 can be bought for £300-£400, one of the 80s models for around £600 and the JCM800 for around £800.
These are still rather expensive but compared to other amps, Mesa, Orange, etc.
Quote by frigginjerk
as has been said, people only bash the MG series, which are not true marshalls. MG used to be a crappy brand of amps called Park. Marshall bought them, slapped their logo on the front, and sold them as cheap practice amps. they break easily, sound weak, aren't very versatile, and the value to cost ratio is bad.

i, like many others, own an all-tube marshall head (dsl50), and it's the amp of my dreams.

MG's aren't bad amps

I got a 30w not long ago and it is pretty awesome

But I really want a JVM410H or a JVM410C

They are gods in the world of amps
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
i was at a concert last night and the band was using a marshall MG and it had so much feedback it made me wish i was deaf
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by Punk_Ninja
Marshalls aren't actually that expensive thinking about it.
The DSL401 can be bought for £300-£400, one of the 80s models for around £600 and the JCM800 for around £800.
These are still rather expensive but compared to other amps, Mesa, Orange, etc.

In the Us they're more expensive, and I dislike the 2000 series. But that's just me.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
and here i am trying to get the most out of my DSL...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Nothings wrong with marshalls...Laneys are just plain better.
XD
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Use the (fucking) search tool!

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure