Ok, so I have a guitar (ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe) loaded with active EMGs (81/60). I currently have an amp that kinda sorta has an almost tube circuit I think (Vox AD50VT) But I would really like to use my active EMGs to the fullest. I was looking at the 50W version of the Peavy ValveKing, because I doubt highly that I'd need more than 50W of tube volume, and becuase it was one of the least expensive.

So what do you guys think? My budget is up to $800-1000 (CAD) but I would rather not spend quite that. I doubt I would need more than 50W, but if there is a reason I should get ore than that, let me know.

Any suggestions, recommendations, bettr ideas and that sort would be appreciated.

Thanks
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
well the valveking is all tube. by your guitar i'm gonna guess that you play metal. you'd probaly want to go with a crate amp maybe or a marshall combo (not MG series). i'm not a metal player, i'm a blues player so i dunno what amps would be good for that but if your complaining about a vox with your emg's, a valveking isn't gonna be any better.
i very muck enjoy my VK. sounds great with emgs, but if youre a metal guy you might want a good metal pedal. you probably dont need 100w, but thats what i have and it has no trouble playing small shows, it is one loud amp.
50 Watts should be more than enough.

Even if you're gigging, stick to 50 watts tube is my 2 cents.

It'd also leave you some cash for an OD or an EQ.
Check out my profile if you wanna hear what the valveking sounds like with emgs. I posted up a quick sound test, nothing special. Its setup to my liking so it dark as hell but you can get an idea of how much gain the thing has.. It was all amp only pedals used was my isp and eq and volume was .5 - 1.0.
I have a pedal, Line6 Uber Metal for me distortion purposes. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?
Quote by -Collapse-
Quote by CodySG

^Oh no, that's awful. Try a Metal Muff with Top Boost in store, you'll see what we mean.

Actually, I properly EQed my Boss MT-2 the other day, and it's much better than I used to give it credit for now I'm not a completely n00bish at EQing.
Quote by webbtje
^Oh no, that's awful. Try a Metal Muff with Top Boost in store, you'll see what we mean.

Actually, I properly EQed my Boss MT-2 the other day, and it's much better than I used to give it credit for now I'm not a completely n00bish at EQing.

...how awful?
Quote by -Collapse-
Quote by CodySG

i'm afraid to turn my 50w vk up past 4 or 5 because it's so friggin loud... to get bedroom level i need to have the volume at like .2 :P

long story short 50w is prolly more then you could ever use... 100w is that and then a bit.
Your gonna need some extra push, because with gain fully driven w/ gain boost, your only gonna wet your feet in like 80's gainish type sounds.

And 50w tube is LOUD.
Valvekings are not very well built from what I've seen on here, but they sound pretty good with an OD and came do almost anything. A better buy though is a used Marshall JCM combo of some sort, as they were higher quality, had better speakers, and can do anything with an OD, plus I find the tone controls respond a bit better.