I have a C50 and as i can remember the Power Tube are Sovtek EL84 but not JJ. Can i change the Sovtek to JJ? Is that okay? Do i need to bias after i put the new tube? Go to guitar tech?

Also what r the sign that i need to retube? I hear Preamp tube last loger, than the Power Tube?
It should be fine. I believe as long as you use EL84's, it doesn't matter. I'm not a tech, but I believe that the c50 is a fixed bias or something like that.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
It should be fine. I believe as long as you use EL84's, it doesn't matter. I'm not a tech, but I believe that the c50 is a fixed bias or something like that.

Hmm fixed bia... hmmm, i guess i should ask a tech about this matter, but thank you for your advice
Quote by Midnight Murk
I emailed Peavey about a month ago and they told me it was fixed bias.

So does that mean i don't need to bias at all? Just take out the old tube and put the new one?
You are wrong fixed bias is kind of like an oxi moron fixed biasing means that when you replace the power side tubes you need to rebias those tubes.There are plenty of articles on biasing amplifiers out there. If you do not know how to do it get it done by a tech otherwise you can waste a good set of tubes in a hurry.
yea C30 doesn't have an adjustable trim pot. it doesn't need it because you don't have to mess with it when you switch tubes.

and JJ/Tesla EL84s are top notch btw.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Nice, i will just wait and see when time comes who is right or wrong... But judging by the email, then i am convince that it is just plug and play. However, they did lie on the fact the they use JJ, where in fact they use sovtek!

So if anything go wrong i will sue Peavey!!! LOL (seriously )
Last edited by angeldef at Feb 3, 2008,
they said "now" they use JJs...

how old is yours?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by modernp
You are wrong fixed bias is kind of like an oxi moron fixed biasing means that when you replace the power side tubes you need to rebias those tubes.There are plenty of articles on biasing amplifiers out there. If you do not know how to do it get it done by a tech otherwise you can waste a good set of tubes in a hurry.

do you know what an oxymoron is?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
from eurotubes.com
"Saying that an amp is fixed biased only means that the manufacturer used a simple resistor in the final bias stage instead of a variable resistor which is commonly referred to as a trim pot. So, if your amp is "Fixed Biased" and you want the best performance you can and should have the simple resistor replaced with a trim pot in series with a lower value resistor. Any decent technician can do this for about $50.00, including the adjustment."

elsewhere on the eurotubes.com they say the peavey classic series is fixed-biased also
well the nice thing is, JJ/Tesla EL84s are $15 a pair.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
well the nice thing is, JJ/Tesla EL84s are $15 a pair.

Thank God.
I'm thinking (down the road, when I get a real job). I want to try and get my hands on some telefunkens. Not sure how hard they are to find, but I THOUGHT I saw something similar (very expensive) on tubedepot. I've heard they last a long time, and *probably* sound great.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by kool98769
do you know what an oxymoron is?