i dont know if im in the right thread but--

anybody know any tips for meshing two guitars--i ve seen a bunch of bands with two guitarists live and some of them mesh well, while others sound like a trainwreck.

thanks
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (about to be Voodoo Modded)
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
Have one play rhythm and one play lead? Have one do more textural sounds while one holds chords and grooves? Or have one play all the chords open and the other play inversion or barres for different sound qualities.
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
The trick is that their parts have to be in different ranges and also for them to be in harmony (unless you're a dissonance kind of guy). Like if two guitarists are playing powerchords together chances are they will sound very muddy unless they're very tight rhythmically, which I've only seen rarely.

My own band has three guitarists in all, but our lead singer is one of them so she doesn't always play and I sometimes play synth. But when we do have three guitar parts, we make three very distinct lines that fit together when the rhythms are perfect.

Basically with two guitars you HAVE to have a constant rhythm/lead or a harmonized lead. Like the rhythm guitarist can play chords and the lead can play a moving line, octave chords that correspond with the chords, or a repeating riff of some sort. As long as the parts make sense anything goes, really.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
ok thanks man,
its just a little weird right now, because for the last 5 years, ive been the only guitarist, and i used a boss loop station to cover rythems for solos, and my drummer said that he wanted an actual person to play the rythems---ergo 2nd guitarist.
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
Quote by rocknskate4
ok thanks man,
its just a little weird right now, because for the last 5 years, ive been the only guitarist, and i used a boss loop station to cover rythems for solos, and my drummer said that he wanted an actual person to play the rythems---ergo 2nd guitarist.

If you get another guitarist, get a really good one. He has to be able to harmonize with you as well as play chords. It would be even better if you can work on back-and-forth stuff, or even let him play solos too. IMO bands are a thousand times better when the guitarists can alternate between rhythm and lead and cooperate.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
yea i know, but in this case i think that the pros are ultimatley going to outweigh the cons
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
make sure he or she is very good, i feel like i have to change my rhythm guitarists underwear. "what cords do i play, i want to do fast stuff, what key is this, teach me this scale"

:\
haha, this guy that i just got is good---as far as i know--i think he knows his theory
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl
thansk alot man
Gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American Strat
Taylor 214ce
Keeley TS-808
Boss GT-10 Processor
Boss RC-20xl