Page 1 of 2
hi

im thinking about getting a Frontman 212R for my band's guitars (2). any opinions?

edit: i have a zoom floor modeller/pedal and a bc richy warlock. genre to play is mainly alternative rock.
Last edited by Raziel123 at Feb 2, 2008,
It's all right. I have a 65R. It has pretty good cleans but lacks distortion. When I throw my Gt-8 in front of it it sounds pretty good distorted though. I'm selling mine if your interested.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
It's horrific, I heard one before that sounded like a yeti farting and roaring in diatonic harmony.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
It's all right. I have a 65R. It has pretty good cleans but lacks distortion. When I throw my Gt-8 in front of it it sounds pretty good distorted though. I'm selling mine if your interested.

won't the distortion sound good with the Zoom i have too?
what do you recommend? we're on a tight budget and we have to "feed" two guitars.

edit: we don't do gigs, only rehearsals.
Quote by Horlicks
Tell the other guitarist to buy his own amp, cheeky bugger

I agree!! It just gets awkward!!

Plus Go tube! I know everybody harks on about it but it is worth it!

One of these? <<Click Here>>
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
15watts? isn't that weak? my current amp is 15watts.

and he was actually gonna buy the amp for both, cause i was gonna buy something else for the band (mixer possibly). we can't both each buy an amp cause there isn't enough money for that.
Quote by Raziel123

and he was actually gonna buy the amp for both, cause i was gonna buy something else for the band (mixer possibly). we can't both each buy an amp cause there isn't enough money for that.

15 tube watts my friend at least 30-40 ss watts equivalent because of the more saturated harmonics. That thing will cut through pretty much any band situation.

Secondly have you actually though about how to share an amp? And what it will sound like?

Why do you need a mixer? by the sounds of things you have the beginnings of a band right?

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Raziel123

15 watts is plenty loud. If you're playing at places bigger than pubs and the sort, get a 30 watter to be safe.

2 guitars + 1 amp = not so good sound wise.

Do you really need a mixer?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
15 watts is plenty loud. If you're playing at places bigger than pubs and the sort, get a 30 watter to be safe.

2 guitars + 1 amp = not so good sound wise.

Do you really need a mixer?

Hehe beat you to it

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
i dont know about the mixer, we just want to get some recording material, though it'll probably be a bit later on, so now "sound" would be the first priority i guess.
How about two Epi combos? 5 watts all tube goodness that you can mic.
Quote by Madsalty
Hehe beat you to it

Damn.

Quote by Raziel123
I don't know about the mixer. We just want to do some recordings, but it'll probably be a bit later on, so now "sound" would be the first priority I guess.

Getting a great sound is pretty important. I can't stand it when my tone is crappy.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Horlicks
At least invest in separate amps.

What is everybodies current setup.

As a band list everything you have.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Pearl rythm traveler drums

BC Richy Warlock Platinum series on a Crate GX-15 amp with a Zoom pedal/floor modeller (my setup)

a cheap E-zipy (looks like a fender stratocaster) on a cheap 10 watt behringer (i think) amp with another, slightly better (don't know which model right now), Zoom pedal/floor modeller. (the other guitarist)

that's it for now, we don't have a bassist yet.

and uldhppi, you mean mic them to a PA?
Quote by Raziel123

BC Richy Warlock Platinum series on a Crate GX-15 amp with a Zoom pedal/floor modeller (my setup)

a cheap E-zipy (looks like a fender stratocaster) on a cheap 10 watt behringer (i think) amp with another, slightly better (don't know which model right now), Zoom pedal/floor modeller. (the other guitarist)

Yeah, that's what he meant. I'd recommend getting the Blackheart instead, you get the EQ that way.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Horlicks
Sell the Zoom **** and your amps and put it all to two new amps.

why would i do that? i want the Zoom.
Quote by Raziel123

Right, therein lies the problem. All of you amp/effect equipment is fairly low calibre. The guitars in this sort of region are sort irrelavent so it's you amp you ned to look at. I agree with horlix if you sold you amps + zoom you could both probably buy one of these each:

UK Cheaper version of VJ

That should give you enough volume to get over ever the loudest drummer using that kit. It's all tube, has good tone and with the money saved you could buy yourself 2 mics to go through the PA.

Blackheart amps are worth a look but super hard to get hold of in the UK

EDIT: Once you have heard proper tone, you will not want the zoom.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Raziel123

Well, if you like it, then keep it. But really, amp drive will sound loads better then your Zoom pedal.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
how will i change sounds in songs without a pedal?

you're all making me feel like a noob. no offense of course
Quote by Raziel123

Just get other pedals. If you get something like a Valveking or any dual channel amps, you can just get a footswitch to change in between clean and dirty.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Raziel123

Because if you put two guitars into one amp, it sounds like a terrible mess. Get an used fender Hot Rod deville, you can find them pretty cheap. The frontman has nice cleans but they sound terrible with distortion. Get a tube because you don't wanna spend 400 on something that is going to sound horrible and it's price will decrease to 1/2 of what you paid.

And tell the other guitarist to get his own amp.

IF you can't find a hot rod deville then look into the Grainger, it's hella loud
Quote by Raziel123

By using either a footswitch or individual pedals.

Individual Analogue pedals for the most part retain your guitar and amps tone on. Also when turned off pedals usually have a true-bypass feature meaning they don't effect your signal.

The zoom is a digital modeller. Unless you buy the likes of the Boss GT8 or the VOX tonelab you will never achevie a great tone.

Your proably sat there reading all this thinking 'i like my tone'? I'm sure you do but until you have experienced the real tone of a tube amp you will not understand what we all mean.

Your not a noob, you just haven't had that great an amount of guitar equipment experience. Don't feel bad. Just listen to us.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
i'm feeling slighty lost but i appreciate the help and i'm sure you all know what you're talking about. i'll have a chat with my band tonight about this(and i'll also look up some of the stuff you're recommending) i'll post again later today or tomorrow.

thumbs up for all the help!

edit: btw, suggestions on PA's and mics? if i go down that route of micing a small tube amp.
Last edited by Raziel123 at Feb 2, 2008,
Quote by Raziel123
i'm feeling slighty lost but i appreciate the help and i'm sure you all know what you're talking about. i'll have a chat with my band tonight about this(and i'll also look up some of the stuff you're recommending) i'll post again later today or tomorrow.

thumbs up for all the help!

Ok, the bottom line is sharing amps in a no-go because it just sounds terrible and messy and horrible etc....

Secondly, save for a bit and by tube amps to get a good base for you to build your tone around.

Good luck.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by DiMeTiMe
5 watts?

Have fun with your midrange-only amp .

Oh god, this place is hilarious .

I played 2 weeks ago at a blues jam in a fairly decent sized bar with only a crate v8, i believe thats 5watts class A tube..sounded fine my friend..
Quote by DiMeTiMe
5 watts?

Have fun with your midrange-only amp .

Oh god, this place is hilarious .

Says the guy who plays through a 15 watt practice amp and a digitech RP-50????

Says the guy who also said:

All right I'm saving up for a new amp and I think I've found it (about time).

It's solid state, which is a must (tubes = old tech, high maint., iffy quality/tone).
It's got 120 watts (100 is my minimum).
It's a half stack (ease of movement, versatility - mixing/matching if I want).
It's a Randall (great reputation, awesom metal tone).

You got flamed for it then and you are again. You obviously have very little experience of tube amps (I will admit nice choice looking at the Bugera). You will never need 100watts, you don't need a half stack (and omg they are not easy to move), and you base an amps tone on it's brand as opposed to actually having played it.

Basically, give this guy a break. He is most probably new to all of this, in his band situation 5 tube watts is more than sufficient to cut through his drummer (they don't play metal) and for bigger venue they can just mic up.

You sir are wrong. Don't talk about what you don't know. ^^ Sry but that may seem a bit harsh = bad day at work.

Quote by d_byrne23
I played 2 weeks ago at a blues jam in a fairly decent sized bar with only a crate v8, i believe thats 5watts class A tube..sounded fine my friend..

Exactly, i filled a 300 person hall with nothing more than my strat and my Blues junior

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Feb 2, 2008,
I would try and get 15 tube watts min. ust to be safe.

If you dont go tube you will never be satisfied in the long run. Spend the money now and save in the long run
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
nah u kno wut u should do? jus save up and invest in a marshall half or full stack. or any stack thas tube. i got a 212r and its got good sound...for blues.
nuthin wrong with blue, im jus more into punk myself, but im hopefully gettin a half stack soon with tubes, none of that digital bull****
Quote by 7leafvacation
nah u kno wut u should do? jus save up and invest in a tube combo

Fixed!

I'm just fooling around but it's an ideal idea anyways. If you want something cheap to play around with, check out the Palomino series.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Horlicks
It's horrific, I heard one before that sounded like a yeti farting and roaring in diatonic harmony.

honestly best description i heard in my life. did u make that up or did u get it somewhere?

anyway 5w tube amp should be enough for a band situation.

tried at VC15 and my god thats loud for only 15 watts.
Are you on board with the amp because it has 2 channels and 2 inputs therefore you can plug 2 guitars in at the same time??

Coz that is a bad idea
Quote by Madsalty
Basically, give this guy a break. He is most probably new to all of this, in his band situation 5 tube watts is more than sufficient to cut through his drummer (they don't play metal) and for bigger venue they can just mic up.

Style of music has NOTHING to do with the volume of the drummer. Most "metal" drummers have to hit harder to get over the guitarists who think they need to be as loud as possible, or they try and fit too much **** in their fills.

If you have a GOOD drummer, he'll be able to keep the volume down to a point where 2 Valve Juniors will be audible. Don't pull out crap like "oh hes a good as drummer just really really loud". A good drummer only needs to do two things.

1) Keep a beat
2) Keep control

You if you want a mixer, you should go for two Valve Juniors, or similar low powered amps with good tone fitting in with your budget, and a PA. Then, mic your amps. Simple.

You said yourself you wanted to record soon. Why blow your amp budget on something thats going to sound like arse live & recording, when you can get 2 amps that will be better at both?
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by Biatch
honestly best description i heard in my life. did u make that up or did u get it somewhere?

anyway 5w tube amp should be enough for a band situation.

tried at VC15 and my god thats loud for only 15 watts.

Made it up haha, but seriously the guy was trying to play hendrix with full disto, bless him.
Page 1 of 2