Page 1 of 2
teaching the guitar is like pulling teeth the sound of an inexperienced guitarist has to be the most terrible sound in the world. thats just my opinion

I dont mind teaching guitar to my friends I just wish they would pay more attention because its not that hard
Ok.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Stop being such an elitist. Not everyone can pick up a guitar and play whatever. I, too have this problem with teaching my friends, but I don't pay attention to their screw-ups as much as their improvements. You should be paying attention to their progress. When they mess up badly, explain it to them, but don't get frustrated. New players shouldn't be criticized for their lack of skill.
we all started somewhere, I bet you sounded bad when you started plyaing too.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
I thought this thread was gonna be about actually pulling teeth
It's a process, not an event.
I'm not saying that I didn't suck at one point all that I'm saying is they complain about how bad they suck and I've been working with them for a couple of weeks and no improvements I've tried every excercise that I can think of to help them and none of them are working I'm about to give up unless you have any suggestions that might help
TS, you're one of the asshole guitarists I despise. >_>
No one's incredible at guitar when they first pick it up, and I bet people were saying the same about you when you started.
I wish I had someone to teach me, at least I would get to hear someone good occasionally, but instead I hear **** 24/7.
Quote by theevilshredder
I'm not saying that I didn't suck at one point all that I'm saying is they complain about how bad they suck and I've been working with them for a couple of weeks and no improvements I've tried every excercise that I can think of to help them and none of them are working I'm about to give up unless you have any suggestions that might help

Have them practice at home..? I just picked some songs I liked, found the tab for it, and kept playing till I could do it, I can never get the solo's though

Working on the Iron Man solo, but it's not sounding great.
you all seem to be all wise and **** and have something to say I didn't write this to be a dick these are my friends all I want to do is help them out so since all the criticism happens to pop up how about some help
You probably should just keep the exercises to a minimum. They're starting out, teach them something they'll enjoy and want to play. Ask them what kinda music they listen to and try and find easy songs that they'd enjoy playing. After playing a few, get to harder songs. It's just about getting their hands used to the fretboard right now, not heavy, serious training.
You sure made it sound like "Oh, these guys suck ass and I'm so great. Why won't they be as great as me? I'm so godly."

Shut up Yngwie.
Quote by _deeperthewound
It sucks being amazing, doesn't it?

haha amen.

but yeah i agree, they just dont seem to press down hard enough they get that horrible rattling sound.
you people just don't get it I'm not tring to judge anyone their doing it to them selves and I have tried eveything to help them get started and all they do is bitch
Thank God you're not obese, or your high horse would be KNACKERED!

Seriously, give the n00bs a break, everyone has to start somewhere
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
I know what you mean, but please don't criticize them. After all, they are just beginners and I bet you sucked when you started. I get what you mean when you say you wish they would pay attention. This kid I know has been playing for a year, and I'm trying to teach him the basics (palm muting, muting strings, tapping, etc.) cause he doesn't know them. Every time I try to teach him something, he loses interest and tries to play something else.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
I'm no kirk hammet and I'm not the best guitarist by far. I didn't complain when someone was trying to teach me all I did was listen and pay attention
I think just about everyone starts easy with power chords slowly learning how to alternate them and adding notes its really up to them how good they get and how much they want to learn practice is the key you cant possibly expect anyone to learn guitar in two weeks improvements will happen as long as they are passionate.
As elitist and assholeish as it may sound, I completely agree with the threadstarter. I don't blame amateur guitarists for being bad, I'm just not extremely patient and get frustrated easily.
I just don't bother teaching them... Except I taught one tapping
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Quote by guitarmannn
I though this thread was gonna be about the bass solo by metalica

Haha, me too...
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
half of you people must be illiterate or just retarded read the whole forum page before you post one of your gay ass comments
thanks to the people who are trying to help and who are actually reading eveything and understand what i'm talking about. **** the rest of you I've been looking at your profiles and your just a bunch of flaming homos that have nothing better to do than talk ****
Last edited by theevilshredder at Feb 2, 2008,
what have all you queers run out of your gay ass comments. you people think you are so cool

Mod Edit: ***Banned***
Nice triple post. *Reported*

You just need to bitch at every little thing don't you?
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Tell them to sandpaper their fingers until they stop crying that pressing down hard enough doesn't get the right sound. ^_________________________________________^
Someone contact his "friends" if they even exist; Let them know that its in their best interest to find a new teacher.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Quote by guitarmannn
I though this thread was gonna be about the bass solo by metalica

"Bass solo take 1"
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Page 1 of 2