I've been listening to lots of techno lately for no reason and I was just wondering what the difference between those three, if not more, genres of electronic/dance music.
Go ask in the techno and dance thread. In the other forum.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
techno is more like...dance "Be My Lover" type shit. electronica and house tend to be more instrumental. electronica is kind of fluent and synth-based while house is more like killer beats.

that was a bad explanation.
I think techno is more "industrial"-like, with heavily synthed beats and often deep bass beats and stuff. Electronica is more like a collective genre name, like... Rock, metal, jazz (including blues), electronica... You know the drill. House is more progressive and melodic, like Daft Punk.

At least I think so. Feel free to correct me, anyone.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Arthur Curry
techno is more like...dance "Be My Lover" type shit. electronica and house tend to be more instrumental. electronica is kind of fluent and synth-based while house is more like killer beats.

that was a bad explanation.

No. Wrong way around.

Techno = Mechanical, churning, around 130-160 bpm
House = Soulful, funky, lots of poppy vox and disco samples,, more funky, around 124-135 bpm
Drum n Bass- Fast, very very open, from funky and house-influence to evil and inspired by death metal, but mostly influenced by jazz and techno. Extremely sample-based, doesn't use drum machines either, or 4x4 kick patten, based around the 2step idea of hip hop beats, uses sampled-chopped up drums. (check my profile )Around 160-180 bpm
Hardcore- Like techno, but faster, with distorted kick drums, and more "evil". 160-2000 bpm
Trance- Melodic and emotional, but often cheesy, although good trance can be very good.
Breaks- Dnb slowed down to house speed, or house with a hip hop beat.
Quote by MastaBassist10
No. Wrong way around.

House = Soulful, funky, lots of poppy vox and disco samples,, more funky, around 124-135 bpm
Drum n Bass- Fast, very very open, from funky and house-influence to evil and inspired by death metal, but mostly influenced by jazz and techno. Extremely sample-based, doesn't use drum machines either, or 4x4 kick patten, based around the 2step idea of hip hop beats, uses sampled-chopped up drums. (check my profile )Around 160-180 bpm
Hardcore- Like techno, but faster, with distorted kick drums, and more "evil". 160-2000 bpm
Trance- Melodic and emotional, but often cheesy, although good trance can be very good.

Trance is not cheesy. Ever. You're cheesy.
well, the difference between the three is: one is crap, the other is crap, and the last one is crap.

they're just different types of crap.
Does anyone remember laughter?

Manuel, please try to understand before one of us DIES.

my gear:

Gibson LP Standard
Epiphone SG
Classical guitar
Peavey ValveKing 112
Marshall MG15
BOSS ME-50
Quote by chillrock
well, the difference between the three is: one is crap, the other is crap, and the last one is crap.

No.
Quote by chillrock

Why're they crap? I don't like Ozzy Osbourne, but you don't see me calling him crap.
Quote by MedicreDemon

Nice use of insult

Trance is amaaazing.
I enjoy a bit of techo and trance, certainly beats your standard rock music for almost any night out situation, so long as you've got a decent DJ anyway.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by MedicreDemon

Well since trance is like the music of choice for 'clubbers', and a lot of it is commercial, yeah, it can be cheesy.

Yeah, Masta and Raziel2P got it right.

Techno originated in Detroit in the early 80s, and often has a more rigid and Teutonic feel to it (due to influences from European synth acts). It often sounds cold and futuristic.

House is more warm and organic, being heavily influenced by disco and hiphop. A lot of groove, often has female singers doing soulful-style vocals. Of course there is also synthier house, but overall it's more human-sounding.

Electronica is pretty much a meaningless term for all electronic music that isn't specifically intended for the dance floor.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
[quote="'Tommy[fin"]']What's the difference between electronica and electro? Or are they the same?
Electronica isn't a genre, its a buzz word. Electro is to electronic dance music like the beatles sound is to rock n roll.
Electro's the sex, that's the best way to explain it

</nohelp>
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Quote by MastaBassist10
Electronica isn't a genre, its a buzz word. Electro is to electronic dance music like the beatles sound is to rock n roll.

Electronica is electronic music that isn't meant to be danced to, think of Air or Aphex Twin.
Quote by Cyberbob
Electronica is electronic music that isn't meant to be danced to, think of Air or Aphex Twin.

That's downtempo or even idm
ELectronica and house are instrumental while techno is a consistent beat while a robot singing about how he wants to make love to your sister
Guitars:
Ibanez EW30ASERLG
Jackson Performer PS4 (soon to be sold)
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Orpheus Valley Fiesta FC
Gear:
POD X3 Live
Boss ME-20
Marshall MG15DFX
M-Audio Fastrack Ultra
Boss DR660
Quote by solitaryshell90
DJ Tiesto is all you need to know
/Thread

Armin Van Buuren > Tiesto
lol, but its all good to me.

This thread reminds me...I need to re download all of my trance shiz, since my ipod broke.
Quote by MastaBassist10
No. Wrong way around.

i think Gabba is faster, i may be wrong.

if u dont know, google it, gabba or gabber
|-----| Gear |-----|

Ibanez RG(cnt remember)
Marshall MG30DFX
Line 6 Guitar Port

YOUTUBE PR0NZZ
Quote by Demonazzz
Armin Van Buuren > Tiesto
lol, but its all good to me.

This thread reminds me...I need to re download all of my trance shiz, since my ipod broke.

Haha, I must check it out then....
Quote by iruka2998
i think Gabba is faster, i may be wrong.

if u dont know, google it, gabba or gabber

Gabber is hardcore. And speedcore is around 1000-2000 bpm.