Another RE-THINK see post #9

Right Guys, Another problem:

After a couple of weeks of my Blues junior, i'm quite happy with it, the tone kicks arse and i have played it regularly until the early hours of the morning. The strat Kicks arse also. The custom pickups are noisless and have a 60's sort of tone. They are not the greatest and may be replaced by some lace gold sensors soon but hey.

The amp + guitar provides my base tone/sound.

I now however need a few more sounds to add to my setup.

I'm a student my budget isn't massive, however i need some pedals. I need a setup which can get me near the likes of Gilmour (don't give me the 401 on how i can't get gilmour's tone, i know this, just something near). I also need to be able to get the quo sounds and in all fairness pretty much anything but metal/heavy rock.

If i'm gonna do it the individual pedal route, i figured for gilmour i'd need a delay pedal and fuzz at the bare minimum. I have no idea which delay, but i was thinking a big muff or pro-co for the fuzz. However would this give me enough versitility? or all of the other genres?

I would also need a new overdrive pedal because the Danelectro model sounds awfull through a tube amp.

The other option is to buy a multi-fx box.

I've been looking at the Digitech GNX3000. I know people who have used it and recommend it ha all of the features i wan't, plus it has many good features which make recording easier, but is it going to suck my tone???

Can anybody make sense of this in-coherant babble and help me out?

EDIT: On a side note i record with a Shure c606 mike but its dificult for me to record through my laptop. Has anybody has any good experiences with Usb recording microphones?
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Feb 5, 2008,
Well this thread got a good reception

Anyway, i was thinking over-night. I could get away with a small pedal board:
  • Tubescreamer - £60
  • Big Muff Pi - £60
  • Delay - £60
  • Footswitch to use fat channel on amp - £20
  • Wah (no idea which one) - £60

£260 + Cost of another Fender premium cable & patch leads + cost of pedal board = OMG

I'd of thought that should just about do it?

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Feb 3, 2008,
OMG it's late......

What kind of wah are you looking for?

I'd reccommend a Morley classic wah, or the Bad Horsie wah. But not knowing what you're looking for makes it difficult.

*suggest*
Arse? You Commonwealthian!! Better off getting a good pedal than a cheap pedalboard - a good pedal will last a lifetime, a cheap floorboard will please momentarily until you hear something better. I speak from experience here. Go to your local music store to try things out - then go to the US Ebay and you can usually find the same thing for half the price shipped.
Last edited by ravenhaller at Feb 3, 2008,
Quote by DiMeTiMe

I'd reccommend a Morley classic wah, or the Bad Horsie wah.

I certainly wouldn't.

He said he wants to play anything but metal/heavy rock, and although the classic wah is aimed at a more 80s sound, it still isn't the best. The Bad Horsie is a pretty specific taste too, it does high gain well, but not much else.

For a wah, have a look at the Vox wahs (Can't remember the exact model, V something-or-other)

Might be a bit more up your alley than the Morelys.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by DiMeTiMe
OMG it's late......

What kind of wah are you looking for?

I'd reccommend a Morley classic wah, or the Bad Horsie wah. But not knowing what you're looking for makes it difficult.

*suggest*

It's late because i'm in a different time zone

And i haven't really considered the Wah.

Quote by ravenhaller
Arse? You Commonwealthian!! Better off getting a good pedal than a cheap pedalboard - a good pedal will last a lifetime, a cheap floorboard will please momentarily until you hear something better. I speak from experience here. Go to your local music store to try things out - then go to the US Ebay and you can usually find the same thing for half the price shipped.

Yeah, i've slept on the idea and have come to the conclusion that i'd rather save my money, wait abit, and secure my tone.

Secondly if you can find me the items at half the price shipped pleas do oblige

Quote by Inspired_by_Vai

Originally Posted by DiMeTiMe

I'd reccommend a Morley classic wah, or the Bad Horsie wah.

I certainly wouldn't.

He said he wants to play anything but metal/heavy rock, and although the classic wah is aimed at a more 80s sound, it still isn't the best. The Bad Horsie is a pretty specific taste too, it does high gain well, but not much else.

For a wah, have a look at the Vox wahs (Can't remember the exact model, V something-or-other)

Might be a bit more up your alley than the Morelys.

Hmm... Interesting i'll have a look.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Mark G
For versatility, can't really go wrong with a nice EQ.

Good idea, any suggestions that aren't too expensive?

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Right, ive decided to be less of a tight arse.

I'm after that gilmour tone.

I have the great tone of the Blues junior as a base (not the same tone but similiar to the fenders used on the momentory lapse of reason album)

I only wan't a basic setup which should get me near, therefore:

I need a BIG MUFF. Question: Is the Little Big Muff as good? Will it get me the right tones?

I need a delay pedal. I was thinking Ibanez DE7

Plus Top Quality Leads.

(i have a basic chorus pedal)

Any Thoughts?

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S