Hey guys, I recently bought some new pickups for my Strat (Dimarzio Tone Zone S, HS-2 and YJM), because the guy before me put crappy EMG Selects in them (no idea why), and I'm planning on putting them in today.

Now, a couple of days ago, I opened it all up to see what I was dealing with and I found out that the guitar isn't even grounded, whoever put the pickups in before actually unsoldered the ground wire from the trem claw. I'm gonna take a run over to Home Depot to get some stuff, what exactly do I use for this? I'm guessing I should do star-grounding on it as well?

Also, I noticed the guitar isn't properly shielded. There's shielding paint/spray in the cavity, but the pickguard is after-market and hasn't been shielded. I read somewhere that you can use just aluminum foil on the back of the pickguard and pickups with some adhesive to do this, but will it be the same as something like copper tape? What would you guys suggest? Do I really even need it since the pickups are supposed to be noiseless? Also, I'd think you could get any of this at Home Depot, but I'm not quite sure since I've never really looked for it, anyone know?

The guitar has a Push/Pull pot on the volume and two regular tones and I was planning on wiring the Tone Zone S in the bridge to coil split. If I'm correct, the tone knobs are for the neck and middle pickup? What would I have to do to change it to the neck and bridge (since I don't really see myself using the middle pickup much, and if I do I don't think I'll really need a tone knob), anything fancy?

Is there anything else you guys can think of I'd need to pick up from Home Depot while I'm there for the project?

I've never really wired passives, only EMGs, so some of this stuff is kinda new to me. Sorry for the long read!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Feb 2, 2008,
Re: the shielding- in the UK our garden centres have "anti slug tape" which you are supposed to stick around the top of plant pots. It's adhesive backed copper tape that gives the little fellas an electro-static shock if they try to pass over it. It's perfect for sticking to the insides of guitar cavities or on the back of scratchplates, providing you put a bit of solder over the edge of the strips to link them up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slug-repeller-deterrent-copper-barrier/dp/B000QVPIQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=outdoors&qid=1201985491&sr=1-1
Quote by mothercruncher
Re: the shielding- in the UK our garden centres have "anti slug tape" which you are supposed to stick around the top of plant pots. It's adhesive backed copper tape that gives the little fellas an electro-static shock if they try to pass over it. It's perfect for sticking to the insides of guitar cavities or on the back of scratchplates, providing you put a bit of solder over the edge of the strips to link them up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slug-repeller-deterrent-copper-barrier/dp/B000QVPIQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=outdoors&qid=1201985491&sr=1-1

Interesting, I'll deffinately check into it!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
If I'm correct, the tone knobs are for the neck and middle pickup? What would I have to do to change it to the neck and bridge (since I don't really see myself using the middle pickup much, and if I do I don't think I'll really need a tone knob), anything fancy?
You only need to move one wire that's connected to the selector switch. But the switches look different depending on the brand of Strat. Fender switches look different than Squier switches. Ibanez switches look different than either of them, but they look more similar to Squier. What brand is your Strat?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You only need to move one wire that's connected to the selector switch. But the switches look different depending on the brand of Strat. Fender switches look different than Squier switches. Ibanez switches look different than either of them, but they look more similar to Squier. What brand is your Strat?

It's a Fender American Standard.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
If you have an American Standard,
you should already have tone control on the bridge position.

Fender MiM Standard Strat - tone controls selection:

B - NONE
B+M - Tone 2
M - Tone 2
M+N - BOTH
N - Tone 1

Fender American Standard Strat - tone controls selection:

B - Tone 2
B+M - Tone 2
M - Tone 2
M+N - BOTH
N - Tone 1

Whatever you have, you can rewire to either of the above, or you can connect tone 2 to just the bridge lug and tone 1 to just the neck lug.

... or tone 2 to the bridge lug and connect tone 1 to the neck and middle lugs. w/e you like.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Oh, really? Cool, I'd just heard that the tone knob doesn't work on the bridge on Strats but I guess they were thinking about the MIM ones then. I really didn't think to try it myself, probably cause the pickups in it make my ears hurt so I didn't even want to try anything with them lol. Thanks for the heads up! I'll make sure it's wired like that tomorrow though, just to be safe, didn't end up getting to the wiring today cause some stuff came up.

Any idea what I'd use for a ground wire?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Ok, well apparently the switch was changed in it or something because mine looks different from the diagram.

Here's what I ended up doing, but there's no volume or anything. Where'd I go wrong? Help?

The two pink wires are what was there before, the bottom one was soldered there with the wire going to the bridge pickup, I'm guessing for the phase switching on the middle pickup? So I just took them both out since I really didn't know what the point of them was, everything else is the same as it was before. The only thing different is instead of where the two pink wires were going on the push/pull, there's now just one coming off the bridge pickup to the middle on the push/pull. The diagram from DiMarzio said I needed the top one going to ground for coil splitting, but I didn't really think I would need that if there's already ground wires on the pot else where, am I wrong?

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
bump! Anyone alive out there?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
shielding kit
stewmac shielding kit

Instructions with schematics
http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

another site of strat project with pics
http://www.alloutput.com/mexstrat/index.html

You can also use some aluminum duct tape from a Home Depot or Lowes for the back of the pickguard. Make sure it is the actual uncoated metal tape and check it with a resistance/ohm meter to make sure you have full continuity. some tape adhesives may not be conductive but if your creative you can make it work. The tape I got from Lowes worked fine on a test I did but I ended up buying a new pickguard the was fully shielded and didn't use the tape.
Fender MIM Strat
Stephens Design Mojos
Analogman Silver TS-9
Teese RMC 2 Wah
Blues Jr.
Microcube