I know there are many threads on here about both, but My question is a little different. also, I should know better than to come on here and ask for opinions on gear, since different gear suit different tastes(and waaaay too many ppl here judge gear by the name across the front of it...)

anyway, I'm in the market for good all-tube 212 combo. My price Range is around $700. I know the Valveking is a good amp. A friend of mine had one and he had no complaints, and it sounded pretty great. The Valvetronix amps seem interesting also, but I hear they're "dark" sounding. I'm looking to get out of the dark sound of a SS amp, (i.e. my MG50), so I'm not sure. I'd try it myself, but none of the guitar stores around here have any in stock.
I need advice/opinions on these amps, or any reccomended 212 tube combos($700 range)

I'm into the bluesy rock sound (Black Crowes, gn'r)
info is greatly appreciated.thx
why not look at fender hot rod deville
Gear:
Fender Deluxe American Fat Strat
Fender American Telecaster
Taylor 714ce
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Champion 300
Macbook Pro
ValveKing, Vtronix isn't a tube amp per se, it's a Hybrid amp so it has solid state sections.
Quote by Horlicks
ValveKing, Vtronix isn't a tube amp per se, it's a Hybrid amp so it has solid state sections.

Yeah, I've read that. I heard that it still sounds like a full-SS regardless. I also heard it's more suited to metal players.

Quote by jamis8891
why not look at fender hot rod deville

I'm not a fan of most Fenders. I love how they sound, but they're not for me. If I found a used one, I might go for it tho...
Last edited by appetite4gnr at Feb 2, 2008,
both of those amps are pretty damn good for the price.....play both and pick the one you like best.....
thats the thing...I've played the VK, but none of the shops close to me have any VT's in stock.
I'm leaning more towards the VK anyway, but if theres anything else out there of equal value, I'l like to try it out 1st.
Quote by uldhppi
Valveking, no contest.

+1
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Yeah, the tubes in the Valveking will sound better no matter what.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by appetite4gnr
should it be plenty for decent sized club gigs?

Yes.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by beckyjc
I hate the VK. I'd take the Vox any day. But a/b em see which you prefer. Just because its all valve doesnt automatically mean its great.

point taken, but I already know I like the VK. i'll still try the Vox If i get the chance.
^^ being completely honest, the VK is pretty similar to a VC only with more gain and slightly more noise. If you want to gig on a low budget it's most definitely the best choice out there. Just my opinion.
^-disagreedisagreedisagreedisagreedisagreedisagreedisagreedisagreedisagreedisagreedisagreedisagreedisagreedisagreedisagreedisagreedisagreedisagreedisagreedisagree-

VCs cleans are much more lush and have more feeling, granted the VKs cleans are actually allright. But theyre horrible for crunch and its just a wall of noise when you try and get high gain out of it. Very flat and ick sounding to me.

Bear in mind, IMO, if you like it go for it.
Quote by Horlicks
^^ being completely honest, the VK is pretty similar to a VC only with more gain and slightly more noise. If you want to gig on a low budget it's most definitely the best choice out there. Just my opinion.

O_o
The valveking and VC are nothing alike.

But yeah, the VK is the budget valve amp.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
i tried out both when i was deciding between the 2 also. i chose the vk.
the VT's cleans were a little harsh and not as warm and the distortion seemed a bit lacking IMO. the Vk's distortion isnt great by itself. its really muddy and bottom end heavy but once you put a tubescreamer in front of it, it really tightens things up and it really shines. also you can get more gain with the TS in front of it. some people say that they cant get metal tones out of it and some say they can. IMO you cant and you need a pedal infront it. regardless you should always have some sort of boost in front it. if you dont need metal tones, in my experience the VK takes OD's through its cleans very nicely. the cleans are pretty good also just dont turn off that bright switch.
I'd look for a used JCM900 combo or something to be honest. Neither of the amps you mentioned are particularly good...
Quote by guitarcrazy1991
I'd look for a used JCM900 combo or something to be honest. Neither of the amps you mentioned are particularly good...

+1
I was orginally going to get the VK myself but then I heard the JCM900 and I was pretty much sold. The cleans are lovely on it and if you turn the preamp gain up you get a really nice crunchy blues rock sound out of it. And the distortion channel has plenty of gain for almost anything. The only downside really is that there is only 1 EQ panel and it is for both channels, but this isn't a major problem tbh.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
I hate this thread. It needs to be completely redone.

There's very little comparison between the VK and the Valvetronix, except that both are poor choices for someone with $700 to spend on a gigging amp.

Why do need a 2x12? (hint: the correct answer is, "you don't.")

Throw out that 2x12 requirement, and get yourself a great amp. First on my list for your styles would be a Traynor YCV 50 Blue. Marshall crunch and Fender cleans in one brilliant, affordable package. The YCV 40 is another nice amp, a little more modern voiced than the 50.

Peavey's Classic 50 would suit your 2x12 "needs," and blows away the VK for your purposes, IMHO. But I think you could easily get away with a Classic 30 or Delta Blues (which comes in 2x10 or 1x15 models). I've gigged with a Classic 30.

You could get the Palomino V32 or V50 in the 2x12 size, too, but I still think that's a stupid requirement. Nice amps, although there's some questions about the reliability of the newer ones.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.