Whats up!

I'm a design student in NYC and I'm currently doing a project on the iconic Gibson Les Paul Guitar. I need to know your opinions about the Gibson company and if their guitars are, in fact, AMAZING. Would you buy one? If you own one, was it worth the price? What's the difference between Gibson and any other guitar manufacturers? Any information is GREATLY appreciated. Thank You!
IMO they generally sound pretty good, but i wouldnt buy one because i dont like how they feel.
Gibson makes the best guitars hands down. I got my Flying V and everything else thats not a Gibson feels fake and not worthy. The price is appropriate for the product as its the best out there. The difference between Gibson and other manufacturers is that Gibson has the best quality. There will always be some bad ones as with any manufacturer.
check out Gibson.com..it should have some good info.

And I own an LP, and yes it is in fact AMAZING. It was worth the price, and much more, I would have given half my face for it.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
IMO, they are very overpriced and they seem to have gone downhill, seriously, reverse flying V?
i think gibsons are qualtiy guitars but Id never buy one. Obviously they arent selling crappy guitars, but they are way over priced for what they are. You are paying most for the word "Gibson" to be on the headstock. Id rather pay another company for a different guitar with more features. I feel the same way towards fender as well.

I would rather pay half the amount of a gibson and get a very nice Ibanez, schecter, jackson, or music man guitar.

Just my opinion.
IMHO, if you get a high end model gibson, it is going to be a fantastic guitar, and out of all of the guitars ive played my SG is my favorite. Obviously im just a gibson person, and different people will have different preferences, but for £800 sterling, mine was definately worth the money, and gibson definately deserve their status as an iconic guitar manufacturer
SG commando

Inserts hilarious quote here
Well, let me be honest; you're going to get some biased views, due in part to some people flat being jealous they can't afford them. Now for mine. IMO, the Gibson company has been a slide since the 70's, using progressively cheaper materials, with slipping build quality that has slowly rebounded in the 90s, but seems to be falling again. Likewise their QC is lack luster. There glory years were the 50's and 60's, and those are long gone. Today they are considered for what you get and infamous for their very unreliable quality control, as well as being a company of question business practices. They have been drilling holes in LPs for weight relief for over 20 years without saying anything until last year, signalling they're obviously using lower grade, cheaper woods and need to weight relieve them from being too heavy, and hiding the fact.
Depends I'm in love with my Stratocaster, but I sometimes like to hear a good, humbucking sound of a Les Paul. Gibson produces great guitars (you can't say BEST, cause it's the matter of preference!), but they're pretty overpriced. I mean, there are some others interesting choices out there too!
My Rig:

+Epiphone AJ100 acoustic
+Fender 60th. Anniversary Stratocaster
+Vox AD30VT
+Vox V847a Wah

look all i wanted was for someone to give me advice on what to do not to slag me off ok

Want advice? Suck yourself off.
gibson lp's are nice, but are the most ober-priced, over-used, and over-rated guitars on the planet. they are nice to an extent, but after that are nothing compared to other guitars.
Quote by CJRocker
Well, let me be honest; you're going to get some biased views, due in part to some people flat being jealous they can't afford them. Now for mine. IMO, the Gibson company has been a slide since the 70's, using progressively cheaper materials, with slipping build quality that has slowly rebounded in the 90s, but seems to be falling again. Likewise their QC is lack luster. There glory years were the 50's and 60's, and those are long gone. Today they are considered for what you get and infamous for their very unreliable quality control, as well as being a company of question business practices. They have been drilling holes in LPs for weight relief for over 20 years without saying anything until last year, signalling they're obviously using lower grade, cheaper woods and need to weight relieve them from being too heavy, and hiding the fact.

They drill the LP's only in places where the tone will be the least effected...and I've seen Gibsons be made at the gibson factory in memphis...seems like great quality to me.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Its also worth noting TS, sound and playability is subjective, though one can notice that they are inconsistent. The main issue with them the past 30 years has been slipping quality and cheaping out.

They drill the LP's only in places where the tone will be the least effected...and I've seen Gibsons be made at the gibson factory in memphis...seems like great quality to me.

I talk about it more from a perspective of weight relief... they do it as they are using lower grade, cheaper, and heavier woods, and they want to try and keep weight consistent so people won't notice. Also, when you play a number of them, you will find while there are some real nice players, and there are a lot of duds too.
I just bought an LP Studio. Great guitar, worth the price. Quality and sound top-notch. Obviously I would have preferred to pay less, but that's life. I'm satisfied I got my money's worth. Beautiful instrument.
It sounds like the main issue here is the use of low-quality materials. What do you guys think about the environment and the pressure put on them to stop using mahogany and other woods because of deforestation? Is the impact on the environment something that you guys consider before buying a Gibson guitar or do you guys not care just as long as you guys get great sound?
Quote by CJRocker
Also, when you play a number of them, you will find while there are some real nice players, and there are a lot of duds too.

this is true.

adding to what i said before, i too think they tend to be overpriced just because the name Gibson is printed on them. its a sad fact but its very true. like i said, when Gibson makes a good guitar, its a good guitar... but not everything Gibson is great. Gibson is one of my least favorite manufacturers... id definitely pick a PRS (then again im just a PRS kind of guy), a music man (wish i had one), or an ibanez. my reasons are a mixture (in no order) of overall feel, price, look, sound, etc.

and just the fact that everyone (who doesnt know guitars) looks at any guitar that slightly resembles a Gibson and says "oooooh, youve got a gibson? sweet!" really bugs me.
Quote by Horizon FR-II
Gibson makes the best guitars hands down. I got my Flying V and everything else thats not a Gibson feels fake and not worthy. The price is appropriate for the product as its the best out there. The difference between Gibson and other manufacturers is that Gibson has the best quality. There will always be some bad ones as with any manufacturer.

after owning two geniune gibsons. everything else i play feels like a bloody toy that you just cant take seriously no matter how hard you try
Quote by Guitar_Poet
this is true.

and just the fact that everyone (who doesnt know guitars) looks at any guitar that slightly resembles a Gibson and says "oooooh, youve got a gibson? sweet!" really bugs me.

thats due to the fact they all copyed gibson
Quote by kckyle
thats due to the fact they all copyed gibson

that doesnt make it less irritating when people say that
they're not bad, but when it came down to it I opted to get a PRS instead (used trust me I cant afford one new, ebay ftw)

my main reason was just feel, the les paul felt nice in my hands but it was also heavy as hell, the neck feel and tone of the prs just felt more like what i was looking for
Quote by The Designer
It sounds like the main issue here is the use of low-quality materials. What do you guys think about the environment and the pressure put on them to stop using mahogany and other woods because of deforestation? Is the impact on the environment something that you guys consider before buying a Gibson guitar or do you guys not care just as long as you guys get great sound?

They aren't using lower grade woods to help the enviroment. I feel they do it as lower grade mahogany is cheap and easy to find. That allows them a greater profit margin.

As for pressure put them to lower usage of woods, there are only two I can think of that have been cut back; Korina, like what was the standard on Explorers and Flying Vs, and Brazilian Rosewood, which was a high end fretboard material. I am a bit disappointed they have had to stop using both in large amounts, Brazilian Rosewood especially, but it gurantees it will be around for future guitarist. As for Korina, I don't think it bothers a lot of people as it is still comparatively readily available, just at a premium. This means most of the Explorers and Vs now are Mahogany.

That said, Mahogany, while dwindling in amount, is not to the point of being super expensive to where they need to cut back; it has simple gone up in price and now Gibson would make less if they used the same grade stuff, so they used lower grade, heavier mahogany to save a buck or two. It bothers me they were weight relieving guitars and not mentioning it until last year, which is a sign of a highly dishonest company, and one honestly trying to fool people. That and the fact Gibson is well known for sometimes flat unprofessional advertisements blatantly putting down other companies product, has not helped their reputation.
Quote by Guitar_Poet
that doesnt make it less irritating when people say that

haha true, but its down in history that gibson and fender shapes what guitar looks like today
Gibson's are great guitars, but IMO they are greatly overpriced.
I look at Les Pauls going for $2000 and it's just rediculous. I think
that Gibson is more of a status symbol. If somebody gave me a
$2000 budget..I could find a killer axe ...hot rod it up ....blow that
Gibson away..and put a down payment on a new car.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
umm...I think Gibson is a really overated guitar company and the les paul is overused...
Quote by kckyle
its down in history that gibson and fender shapes what guitar looks like today

yea, thats definitely true.
I own some Gibsons. I also own some Epiphones and Kramers (both brands owned by Gibson). I've played many other copies by other brands of famous Gibson guitars (e.g. LP copies, SG copies, etc). I can't give you specific information on exactly how much everything has cost or what specific models I've ever played, because truth be told, I've lost track of it all. Generally though, you name it, I've played it. I am not a highly experienced player, having only been playing for a couple of years, but I generally prefer to refer to myself as a 'guitar collector' rather than a 'guitar player' anyway. I may not be able to shred at 400 notes per second, but I pride myself on my knowledge on the production and history of these guitars. So, I consider myself to be in a good position to talk about the quality of these instruments.

For me, Gibsons are worth the price tag. However, that does not mean I think they are the best guitars ever and that they can't be beaten. Quite frankly, I think Epiphone Elitists and mid-80's Kramers are far, far better than any production Gibson model. Gibson Custom shop models are better even than those, but then you're spending many, many thousands more, and then it really isn't worth the price tag.

Other copies, such as ESP, Tokai and Vintage, are all good guitars. None of them though, even the best models from those brands, can match up to an actual Gibson, Epi Elitist, or old Kramer.
There are also of course other brands like Edwards, Agile and Michael Kelly, though personally each time I've played any of their guitars, I've been incredibly underwhelmed. They've always seemed pretty poor to me.