Hey UGers. Lately, I've been trying to break my habit of practicing my bass while sitting down, but when I play standing up my strap cuts off the circulation in my left arm after a while and it begins to lose feeling and cramp. If anyone out there have some advice I can use to keep this from happening it would be greatly greatly appreciated.
Quote by Fishticuffs
Hey UGers. Lately, I've been trying to break my habit of practicing my bass while sitting down, but when I play standing up my strap cuts off the circulation in my left arm after a while and it begins to lose feeling and cramp. If anyone out there have some advice I can use to keep this from happening it would be greatly greatly appreciated.

How wide is the strap you are using? Esp if you bass is heavy you need a wide, well padded strap. It almost sounds like you are using a guitar strap.
I suspect the same thing. A heavy bass with a small strap is a bad combination. Get a good 3" leather strap, and say goodbye to the pain.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Not leather. Simply a padded, slightly elasticted strap will do fine. This meansit moulds to the shape of your shoulder, to reduce pressure, and the slight elactic properties (only stretches about 1" total) allows you shoulder a bit of room to more against a moving instrument.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by anarkee
How wide is the strap you are using? Esp if you bass is heavy you need a wide, well padded strap. It almost sounds like you are using a guitar strap.

Quote by Your41Plague12
I suspect the same thing. A heavy bass with a small strap is a bad combination. Get a good 3" leather strap, and say goodbye to the pain.

Wow, I never thought of that. I wasn't aware that there were different straps for bass and guitar, but I guess in hindsight a wider strap should have seemed like an obvious solution. Thanks to both of you. I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for a wider strap.
Quote by Fishticuffs
I wasn't aware that there were different straps for bass and guitar

There aren't. The "wider straps for heavier instruments" concept applies to guitars as well.
Quote by gm jack
Not leather. Simply a padded, slightly elasticted strap will do fine. This meansit moulds to the shape of your shoulder, to reduce pressure, and the slight elactic properties (only stretches about 1" total) allows you shoulder a bit of room to more against a moving instrument.

Valid point. In my opinion, the "leather vs. synthetic materials" argument is purely a matter of preference. I prefer leather, as I find it more comfortable. Just try them both, TS, but make sure its a good wide strap. The width is what matters, not the material.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

How tall are you? If you're fairly short (I'm 5' 7" about) you'll have to shorten the strap. I got a strap fitzy recommended and I still haven't gotten around to cutting the thing up. At its highest, its probably a good 9 or 10" lower than I would like. Just something to consider.
Quote by IndianRockStar
How tall are you? If you're fairly short (I'm 5' 7" about) you'll have to shorten the strap. I got a strap fitzy recommended and I still haven't gotten around to cutting the thing up. At its highest, its probably a good 9 or 10" lower than I would like. Just something to consider.

Not to turn this onto a different course, but IndianRockStar, do you have to modify all of your straps? I'm 5'4" and except for a no name leather strap I bought years ago, I have to bring every leather strap I own to the shoe shop to have extra holes punched. Or cut up the back pack type ones and resew the nylon loop. Its frustrating and if anyone knows of a brand that suits us shorter folk, I'd appreciate it.
Quote by Your41Plague12
Valid point. In my opinion, the "leather vs. synthetic materials" argument is purely a matter of preference. I prefer leather, as I find it more comfortable. Just try them both, TS, but make sure its a good wide strap. The width is what matters, not the material.

No way man, Leather straps give a better tone!

And +1 to the short people straps, i'm around 5 6"
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
No way man, Leather straps give a better tone!

And +1 to the short people straps, i'm around 5 6"

Forcemaster, I am glad I am not the only one. TBH, I have problem finding guitar straps for my 11 year old son for the same reason. A standard strap drops his strat to just about hip level at its shortest length.
My strap holds my bass at hip-to-belly-button level at its highest point. It's comfortable, but I'd love to be able to play with it higher up to experience the advantages and disadvantages for myself.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

One strap that my few shorter friends have found comfartable (it works for me too and i'm 6'2") is a Levy strap like this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Levys-MP15-Nylon-YinYang-Pattern-BlackWhite-Guitar-Strap?sku=360552

check out all they videos on youtube
they dead serious about thuggin like that
if you ask me they are fruity
an i hope one morning they drown in there fruit loops
Quote by anarkee
Not to turn this onto a different course, but IndianRockStar, do you have to modify all of your straps? I'm 5'4" and except for a no name leather strap I bought years ago, I have to bring every leather strap I own to the shoe shop to have extra holes punched. Or cut up the back pack type ones and resew the nylon loop. Its frustrating and if anyone knows of a brand that suits us shorter folk, I'd appreciate it.

Well I've bought 2 straps. The first strap I bought was a planet waves generic 2" strap, and that went to about 38". I have it pretty close to that. I don't know of any shorter straps that are of good quality though. We should petition Levy's or some other company to make a specific strap for us
Quote by anarkee
Forcemaster, I am glad I am not the only one. TBH, I have problem finding guitar straps for my 11 year old son for the same reason. A standard strap drops his strat to just about hip level at its shortest length.

Indeed! my current no name strap gets my bass to a good height, but all other ones are a PITA to deal with, then again, I suppose I wear my bass to high to be cool anyway.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
Indeed! my current no name strap gets my bass to a good height, but all other ones are a PITA to deal with, then again, I suppose I wear my bass to high to be cool anyway.

I thought I was the only one, all these lonely years

I think there is some need brewing for a "bass players under 5'10" group