apparently, my a friend of mine in college told me that a Floyd Rose could be installed on an acoustic and would sound normal. I didn't argue that it could be installed, but I do differ that the sound would be significantly different then before installing the Floyd Rose. Who's right? Me or him? A pizza and beer is riding on this.
That's a really good question.
I'm pretty sure it would do a few things: first of all, it would put a strain on your neck and if your neck isn't the right weight, it would snap. Second, I'm pretty sure the Floyd Rose would have to be floating. Also, it would change your sound. I'm pretty sure that it would make it a whole heck of a lot harder to keep it in tune, and it would change the timbre of your tone only because there is a little more tension on the strings when they're in a Floyd. Long story short, that pizza and beer is yours.

Also, don't get this done to your acoustic. Probably a bad idea.
And there's probably a good reason why you don't see acoustics with whammies on them. lol
You could install a FR, but by the time you have enough reinforcement on the top, there would be about as much sound as an unplugged electric. So I'd say neither of you are right, as even though you could install it, it wouldn't be very useful. Can I have the pizza and beer?
I really doubt that the thin tops of the bodies could handle the amount of pressure that the tension in the strings and springs, and whamming would have on it.

I really just dont think it would hold up...
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Because FRs are FULL FLOATING little vibration gets to the body of the guitar. Even if you had a way to easily install a FR in an acoustic guitar, it would be so quiet that it defeats the purpose of the acoustics, and you would need an electric guitar pickup.
Quote by james4
You could install a FR, but by the time you have enough reinforcement on the top, there would be about as much sound as an unplugged electric. So I'd say neither of you are right, as even though you could install it, it wouldn't be very useful. Can I have the pizza and beer?

no. the pizza and beer is mine....all mine.
actualy if u all stop with your trem ideas and read the million threads on this you will find that only bigsbys would work so pizza and beer are mine
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
yeah i was just going to say what that other guy said, probably the only way to do it would be to get a bigsby