Over the summer i was really into guitar and playing alot and all that stuff, but once school started i lost time and interest. So i need a song or something to learn that gets me right back in it! yeah!!!!!!

BTW, if you do give me suggestions on songs, aviod metal.
*reported* (should be in musician talk)

My two cents is to Give up. If you can't motivate yourself then whats the point.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal

My two cents is to Give up. If you can't motivate yourself then whats the point.

we all lose the drive sometimes, lose interest? probably not, but motivation? it happens

just think about what got you started in the first place
Quote by BleedDeathMetal

You are made of EPIC FAIL. I should report you for being such a negative loser.
Be cool.
Seriously DM, we all lose inspiration at one point or another.

For songs, anything Necrophagist. Feckin great fusion jazz, man.

....phailed jokes aside,
Maybe eric johnson? Like....Cliffs of dover or something? Or clapton, SRV...Aerosmith if you're REALLY desperate....That's all I got right now haha
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Yeah for a while I was drifting a bit - but then I got back into it, and since buying my LP haven't been able to put it down We all go through periods like this, if you give it up and don't come back it's pretty likely it'll fade for good but if you do come back to guitar then, chances are, that's you a guitar player for life
Quote by BleedDeathMetal

your name is bleed death metal, but you're upset that the forums aren't organized
Quote by f1sk
your name is bleed death metal, but you're upset that the forums aren't organized

Are you poking fun at death metal because if so your more of a dick then I am.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Just find a song you like to play....but if you need a suggestion, the intro to Sweet child O mine by GNR, is fun to play.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Are you poking fun at death metal because if so your more of a dick then I am.

Since when was poking fun at a music genre more immoral than giving epically bad advice?
Quote by BleedDeathMetal

Do the world a favor and kill yourself.
SG COMMANDO #2041

Guitar:

1967 Gibson SG Jr.
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone MM-30E

Amp
Fender Blues Jr. NOS (tweed, bitches)
Pedals

Modded TS9
Cusack Screamer Fuzz V2
Mid-Fi Pitch Pirate
Line 6 DL4
How about we take the negativity out of the topic? It doesn't help anyone.

To the Topic Creator: I think we all go through this (though we may not have all gone through it yet). Personally, I was very close to losing motivation to play, as at the time I was not really playing anything but scales as I wasn't confident enough to try solos. I found that watching Hotel California live was the best panacea for that discouragement. Find a song you really like or a guitarist you really enjoy and just watch some videos of them playing, that'll get you right back into things, specially if you then go and learn that song!

Here's a video I love to watch right now: http://youtube.com/watch?v=6OD8xHMXX9E
Last edited by Habit Zero at Feb 2, 2008,
Find a song you enjoy, and learn it.
ಠ_ಠ WILL GIVE HEAD

Quote by Myxer
Have to give you props that the funniest post I read in a while
Quote by GogglesVK

hazardmaster has won this thread.

Fender Stratocaster 57' Reissue (Japanese)
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Buy a really nice expensive guitar. That might help. Or a shiny new all tube stack.

If that's not possible, then learn some CoB, or Dream Theater. Their music always keeps me interested as I learn it.

EDIT: Oops. Sorry, I missed the part where it says no metal. Learn some Hendrix.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Just get some new equiptment, listen around to music that sounds interesting to play and learn it and get involved in some new bands and play with new people. Just have fun thats the reason your suppose to start playing guitar.
Quote by National_Anthem
Since when was poking fun at a music genre more immoral than giving epically bad advice?

Personally, I laughed.

---

Back on topic, I'd say find some people to jam with. Not really a band, but maybe another guitarist who can teach you a few things, and have the same taste of music in.
I'd just like to point out. The kind of asshole that encourages people to give up a creative outlet is the kind of asshole who gets shot in the face by a black metalhead coming off a church arson high.
Quote by Danno13
PROTIP: With guitars, you can go ahead and add the "Ed." to "Special"

My gear:
1964 Gibson SG
2007 Gretsch Electromatic
Washburn Acoustic-Electric
Some Fender amp
1967 Encore pile of dung
Quote by BleedDeathMetal

you suck dude. i mean first off, this IS musician talk. and second off, you just suck for saying that he should give up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal

dude i totally got your back on this one for the exact reason you state. if you can't motivate yourself then how the hell are we supposed to? my life is often INCREDIBLY busy and i ALWAYS make time to play guitar not because i feel i have to or i'm supposed to but because i LOVE to. on the occasional day or 2 i don't play guitar then its just that, i don't play guitar because i didn't feel like it at that time but i know that if i ever want to i can ALWAYS make time for it. i LOVE to play guitar, my ex's would get pissed off cuz i'd spend more time with my guitar than them. yeah maybe my priorities are a little screwy there but guess what, my guitar and music are still here even though b!tches come and go. so the point being this, you wanna get back to playing guitar dude then go for it, find a song you like or just pick it up and start playing but we can't make you play it. and "i don't have time" is a pretty awful excuse as there have been days where i'd skip things i should do (like eating, getting an oil change etc) just to play guitar for an hour or 2.
Maybe it's not about learning a new song to get motivation back.

I'd suggest not trying to play something new, but listening to musicians that you respect. Try to tell yourself "If I work hard, I'll be able to play like this guy some day". Then look up the tabs for that music. You probably won't be able to play it yet, but it gives you something to aim for.

I'd never tell someone to give up, because I know how much pleasure it's possible to get from playing, but I agree with z4twenny, you can always make the time if you want to succeed enough.