Fender Champ Just recieved it yesterday so a complete evaluation is still out. Being a small combo that is tubed is pretty awesome in its own right. Guitar used to to test was a tom anderson tele and a epi lucille. The cleans are very reminiscent of a fender black face extremely clean with a nice chime. The gain side has 15 different preamp settings some are extremely versatile with a great over driven sound others I have not found a use for as of yet. The effects included on the amp are very decent for an amp with onboard effects. Reverb very lush what you would expect from A fender. Other effects very workable also. The amp is dead quiet a very good addition to any studio.For $299.00 plus $30.00 odd something for the foot switch I think this will become one of the truly great amps of this year. By the way it blows the original champ away.
Last edited by modernp at Feb 2, 2008,
Quote by modernp
By the way it blows the original champ away.

The Super Champ is somewhat of a classic, so I can't agree with you there. There's a reason you never see these for sale anymore.

How does it sound at higher volumes?
I really don't think they designed this amp for high volumes. Thats why they gave it a line out. I think probally the weakest part of the amp is the speaker. I am going to try a few different ones. Ever listen to Joes garage by Zappa thats what us old timers think of the original champ. At least this old timer.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd
Quote by modernp
I really don't think they designed this amp for high volumes. Thats why they gave it a line out. I think probally the weakest part of the amp is the speaker. I am going to try a few different ones. Ever listen to Joes garage by Zappa thats what us old timers think of the original champ. At least this old timer.

I'm certainly no oldtimer, but when I hear Champ, I think of Layla.

Which is definitely no Super Champ.
Clips!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
It took me a little while to find out what this amp is good at. Its a great little practice amp. For a small gig using it as a monitor maybe. But you also have to realize I'm using one of the nicer guitars out there to test it with. I have played my Tom Anderson thru some pretty crappy amps and it still makes a bad amp sound good. It may not be for everybody but it does sound pretty nice.
Tom Anderson Hollow Classic
72 thin line tele

Barber trifecta fuzz
Mi audio Crunch Box
Clyde Wah
Barber Burn Unit
Ocean efx Texas deuce
Boomerang chorus delay
Barber ltd

1971 Pro reverb
Fender acoustasonic
Fender super champ xd