Poll: Which pickup configuration should i use?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which pickup configuration should i use?
Rotary switch
4 50%
Push/pull pot
1 13%
Other
1 13%
Don't mod it you dumbass!
2 25%
Voters: 8.
So, i've been thinking of modifying my guitar and i've posted around asking for pickup combos, and wiring schematics and such, and i think i've got everything down.
The only thing left is to figure out the specifics..I'm modding my guitar from HHH to HSH and since the standard pickup configurations on this guitar are very limited, i'm trying to find a more versatile pickup configuration.
So right now i have thought up of two different configurations:
1. Put in a 5 or 6-way rotary switch to switch between pickups
2. Wire as an HH guitar (think Les Paul) and use a push/pull pot to add third pickup
If there are any other configurations that you think are more effecient than this one, feel free to suggest them.
Well, it kind of depends on a few things. If you just want to alternate from adding the pickups in parallel, then I'd use a 5 way blade and wire it like a strat. If you want coil splitting, tapping, phasing or series configurations, well then you've really got to do more research and determine what you want.
the push pull knobs are cool if you can rig it to make the config single coil
Go here:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
They have pretty much any type of pickup wiring you can think of.

Make sure you get this one along with whatever design you choose as well:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/support/schematics/color_codes.pdf
Last edited by CodeMonk at Feb 2, 2008,
If you can get a 7 way switch of some kind (not sure if they even exist), it would let you select any pickup combination, unless you wanted to do a coil split or something, otherwise go for the 6 way rotary, I have one on my HHH sg and you can get any combo except all 3 at once.
Quote by flashbandit
Well, it kind of depends on a few things. If you just want to alternate from adding the pickups in parallel, then I'd use a 5 way blade and wire it like a strat. If you want coil splitting, tapping, phasing or series configurations, well then you've really got to do more research and determine what you want.

I can't use a 5 way blade..Well, i could but i would have to cut the guitar's wood and i'm not so experienced with woodworking or anything like that.

What is coil tapping , phasing and parallel and series wiring? Do they effect the tone or something?
What is coil tapping , phasing and parallel and series wiring? Do they effect the tone or something?

Yeah, they affect the tone by linking the pickups up in weird ways. I wouldn't go all out crazy and have all of the available options on one guitar, but there are some cool designs that use 6 position 4 pole rotaries, or any 4 pole switches. You can also do some cool things with 2-4 pole switches and a second DPDT, but try and find some good schematics first.

As far as those weird wirings I suggested, these are the most useful (I think): normal parallel combinations; coil splitting; any pickups in series, but especially neck and bridge; neck and bridge in series and out of phase. You might also try neck and bridge in series out of phase, with the middle added in parallel in phase, I have that on my strat and it sounds cool.

Good luck!
oh sick, you wouldn't happen to have any wiring diagrams for that kinda config for a les paul style guitar would you (2 vol, 2 tone)
Quote by hell_monkey
oh sick, you wouldn't happen to have any wiring diagrams for that kinda config for a les paul style guitar would you (2 vol, 2 tone)

See my post above