i know headphones are not the ideal way to do mixing, but current conditions (like being respectful to people who are sleeping or trying to work in the same house) force me to use headphones. because of this, i am forced to use headphones
Quote by moody07747
you cant mix on headphones, cheap monitors would be even work better, look for some KRK monitors on ebay, the RP6 and RP8 are great.

Im looking for the RP6 now since I use headphones on my board and it IS hard to mix...

Whad'ya Mean I Can't Mix With Headphones????

Lol, you beat me to Bruce's article. I was just about to pull it up.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by Guitar_Poet
i know headphones are not the ideal way to do mixing, but current conditions (like being respectful to people who are sleeping or trying to work in the same house) force me to use headphones. because of this, i am forced to use headphones

well in that case, I would go wither the Sony MDR line or the Sennheiser HD line

some more info on headphones for around $100:
http://studio-central.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=32997

I'm sure if you search the form you'll find a poll for cans around $200
I actually think that cans are in part a blessing for the training engineer.

I don't have monitors, so I mix with cans then to test on 3 or 4 different sound systems in order to tweak my sound to get it right, which is obviously good aural training.

I then take my bounces into the studio to test them, and particularly recently, they've by and large needed VERY little tweaking.

Whereas if you always work with a set of decent flat monitors (which you trust to be accuracte and can rely on) you'll tend to lay off the testing on different systems that you need
^ I don't know if that's true. If you use your head, you should always know to try your mixes on different systems whether using headphones or monitors.

EDIT - As for the original question, I would go with a set from the Sennheiser HD range. They have a range at different prices.
There is poetry in despair.
Senn HD280s are good choices. The key is to look for the most neutral biased headphones you can find, so you get uncolored sound. The K240s are midrange honky, but still good headphones nonetheless.
I am sorry, but it is just a ridiculas statement to say you can't mix with studio headphones.

In the ideal studio world with separate performing sound rooms, and engineers in remote mixing rooms, live monitors are essential, in addition to having numerous studio headphones.

But not many of us live in the ideal world, and for home studios, especially recording yourself, some decent closed end studio headphones are essential and provide good, consistent results.

If you can play a professionally recorded CD and it sounds good, and then your recorded tracks also sound good, then it is going to be pretty good. Not pro studio, but that takes a lot of studio engineering skills to actually do a professional mix.

Plus when you are learning and sometimes sound like crap, you don't drive everyone in your house nuts.

I have even switched to using some Sennheiser RS-130 wireless ones just to get rid of some wires. Now they have some signal processing issues with uncompressed audio tracks, so I would not recommend them during final recording. But they are pretty handy for under $100 for practicing or just listening to music, TV, whatever.
I personally wasn't saying that you couldn't mix with headphones, just that it my opinion it is not advisable.

I don't think you can get a good gauge of the stereo field and depth with headphones, not in that same way that you can with monitors. Plus, read the article posted by Moody. Makes a lot of sense.
There is poetry in despair.
Yeah it is not a matter of what you "CANNOT" do - it is just extremely advisable to mix with monitors as they give you a much more accurate representation of your mixes than headphones would. As far as headphones go however, I often use Sennheiser HD280's for tracking as well as double-checking my mixes.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.