i was wondering if there was anyway to lower the action of my yamaha apx acoustic?
the guitar was set up with a reaalllly high action, and i dislike high action :|
cheers
assuming the neck is set and adjusted for relief properly, you can try deepening the nut slots and lowering the saddle. Be cautious, as lowering either adjusts the strings' break angle, and a shallow break angle over the saddle could really diminish energy transfer. get an expert, or learn to live with high action.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
Quote by Sam_Prillaman
lighter strings, truss rod, file the bridge down with sandpaper

lighter strings: they might lower a bit but not that much.

truss rod: nooooooooooo

file the bridge down with sandpaper: you mean the saddle.

The last is the right answer. Do it carefully and slowly, making sure you only do a little bit at a time. You don't want to lower the action too much or your guitar might buzz. Make sure you're on a perfectly flat surface when you sand and make sure you are not sanding down the side where the strings rest on. You have to sand the other side.

Good luck.
lighter strings, truss rod, file the bridge down with sandpaper

how would having lighter strings lower the action?
my gutiar doesnt have a truss rod - its not very good
do you mean file the actual slits in the bridge?
thanks for the quick reply
Quote by randomcomicboy
how would having lighter strings lower the action?
my gutiar doesnt have a truss rod - its not very good
do you mean file the actual slits in the bridge?
thanks for the quick reply

Yes it does.

It may not be adjustable but it does have a truss rod, or else the tension of the strings on the neck would snap it.
Yes it does.

It may not be adjustable but it does have a truss rod, or else the tension of the strings on the neck would snap it.

oh
Best bet is to take it in to your local luthier or guitar tech and have them do a set up on it and specify that you like the action low. They will check several things on the guitar to make it more playable and will check the frets to see if they need to be leveled. If it's bad the leveling will cost extra. But they will lower the nut and saddle to lower the action and make sure the intonation is correct. Cost if $50 or less depending on who does it.

It is well worth it.
for me, changing my strings from .012 to .011 was just the cure for my high action. it lowered it quite a bit and made it MUCH easier to play.
NEVER adjust the neck with the truss rod you need to take of the bridge (use maybe a hairdryer to dry out the glue) and either sand it down, buy a new one and sand it down. Then glue it back onto the neck replace the strings and your done
I smile because I have no idea whats goin on

That's all wrong...

You don't remove the bridge to lower action, you remove the saddle, which is part of the bridge, which is stuck onto the body not the neck. It's not glued into the bridge so when you take off the strings it should just pop out. You're talking about the nut, which is in the neck and is glued in.
I'm not sure what all the "DON'T TOUCH THE TRUSS ROD" comments are about... If your guitar has been made within the last 60 years, chances is it does have a truss rod, and can probably be adjusted if you look into the sound hole. If your neck has is bowed out toward the strings, or the opposite, some adjusting is probably in order. Don't fiddle with it yourself if you haven't worked on guitars before. A guitar shop is probably the way to go. In terms of filing the saddle, I would STRONGLY recommend that you have a more experienced technician do it.

Quote by confusius

Not quite. There are some guitars without truss rods (including some VERY nice old Martins). The truss rod is just a very practical invention that helps keep necks straight.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Feb 3, 2008,
Tension of strings = bending = eventual snapping, we said the same thing.

And truss rod is not for fixing action, it's for fixing neck bow and whilst the second may produce the first it's foolish to muck around with your truss rod just to lower the action. You have to establish your neck is bent first.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=622232&highlight=truss+rods+action

Cool thread.
Last edited by confusius at Feb 3, 2008,
my acoustic doesnt have a truss rod...

i had the same problem with a guitar so i just sold it on ebay and bought a new one.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Quote by confusius
I'm fairly sure it did. What guitar was it?

its a martin built in 1942. not sure of the exact model though
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Quote by HeavyReverb
its a martin built in 1942. not sure of the exact model though

hmmm wouldn't know if it had one then...