Hey there! This is my first thread so I'm hoping I'm doing it right. Anyways-

I've been playing acoustic for a year and I'm pretty decent, I have an Ibanez on it's way to me this week. My friends want to learn to play and then form a band.

So the point of this thread;- can the more expreienced bass users recommend a decent bass guitar for my friend to learn on? He has NO prior experience.
I would probably recommend some Fall Out Boy songs, it doesn't take much to be better then Pete Wentz. Seriously I think Bass is probably the easiest instrument ever.
Quote by guitarplaya94
I would probably recommend some Fall Out Boy songs, it doesn't take much to be better then Pete Wentz. Seriously I think Bass is probably the easiest instrument ever.

Oh, Jesus, where do I start?
I've heard good things about OLP Stingrays, not sure if anyone can back this up.
Quote by guitarplaya94

I agreed right up until the last sentence. Music = Music. Guitar = Musical Instrument. Bass guitar = musical instrument. Musical Instrument = music. Hence, Bass = Guitar(In difficulty)

If you think either is harder than the other than you're thinking music is a competition in who can play the highest nps.
Well myself I have tried a little bit of basic bass and it does seem easier (to me) than simple guitar. But I think the instruments are indeed a lot different and therefore you shouldn't compare them.

Any more suggestions for the guitar? Thank you to those who have helped so far
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Read the FAQ- There is a section dedicated to beginner basses.

+1

This is fantastic advice.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Quote by SilverSpurs616
Well myself I have tried a little bit of basic bass and it does seem easier (to me) than simple guitar. But I think the instruments are indeed a lot different and therefore you shouldn't compare them.

Any more suggestions for the guitar? Thank you to those who have helped so far

For basses, again to echo the phrase that Delerium used above. Read the FAQ--if you or your friend have any questions about what is in the FAQ, post back and we'll be glad to help.

And bass is easy, like drums are easy. Yeah I can bash root notes all day in 4/4 time, just like I can kick that ol' bass drum on the 2 and 4 and do nothing else. Or play open chords on my acoustic.

Its all relative son, but if you want to play well and even play those root notes effectively, there's a bit more involved. And I get an extra tenner for all this towards the Urge fund.