the bassist from disturbed has got a versatile sound on 'the sickness', i would say investigate
Well I assume it the band will be somewhat similar to Infectious Grooves? Trujillo used I think ESPs and Stingrays, but you may like the way a Fender Jazz Bass works. Or, I might go for a Warwick. As far as I've played they slap really good.
fender jazz bass and i can't believe i'm recommending this but ebmm stingray
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Warwick basses would probably be best for funk metal and they sound great for the slap/pop sound, but they're expensive. I would suggest going in to guitar center and look at basses in your price range and just pick the one thats the most comfortable and has the best playability for you.

Fender Jazz unless you're rich. If you're rich, Warwick ftw.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Quote by Link.JohnIrving
Fender Jazz unless you're rich. If you're rich, Warwick ftw.

Some Wariwcks are less than a MIA Fender, by a decent amount. Look at the Corvette range.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I agree with the statement about Disturbed's bassist (the sickness is by FAR their best album, btw). He used EBMM stingrays with some sort of high end solid state setup. He did a deal of slapping with them on that album, and it sounded pretty groovy. Good tone, too. The stingray gets my vote. It can growl, it can 'zing,' and about everything else you can think of.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
go for a carl thompson if its in your price range.... im just kidding, but if it really is in your price range then you are one lucky mother****er

but otherwise, a modulus (j-bass, quantum, or flea) is amazing when it comes to slap

or a fender jazz bass
Quote by Your41Plague12
The stingray gets my vote. It can growl, it can 'zing,' and about everything else you can think of.

Yeah, Stingers can do everything. As long as it's that one singular ribbit that you get out of those humbuckers.

I would recommend a Warwick for what you want. I'm sensing you basically want a jazz with a bit more oomph, and oomph is definitely what Warwicks do best.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Yeah, Stingers can do everything. As long as it's that one singular ribbit that you get out of those humbuckers.

I would recommend a Warwick for what you want. I'm sensing you basically want a jazz with a bit more oomph, and oomph is definitely what Warwicks do best.

Jazz, you're becoming a mini-fitz. You're a carvin-obsessed, humbucker hating... PERSON! Humbuckers may not be your personal preference, but you can't deny that they have the ability to be versatile. It's just taste, dude. But I do second the motion on the warwick, also, if he doesn't like a stingray.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Yeah, definately either a Warwick or a Stingray. They're precisely what you're after.
Quote by Your41Plague12
Jazz, you're becoming a mini-fitz. You're a carvin-obsessed, humbucker hating... PERSON! Humbuckers may not be your personal preference, but you can't deny that they have the ability to be versatile. It's just taste, dude. But I do second the motion on the warwick, also, if he doesn't like a stingray.

I have had no luck getting a difference in tone from a humbucker on any setting. It takes A LOT of tweaking to get a different tone. That's not my personal preference, that's just there. As for the mini-fitz bit, thanks for the compliment.
Maybe it's just me, I don't have any troubles adjusting the tone of a humbucker equipped bass at all. My schecter is versatile as hell, and it only has a two-band EQ. I do love the sound of an all-passive P-bass though, I don't think that can be touched.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

When I read the title of this thread, I thought Stingray. Its really perfect for the tone and type of music. I can't vouch for the metal part, but for the rest, its perfect.
Quote by Your41Plague12
Jazz, you're becoming a mini-fitz.

Yeah I've noticed that too. His like a smaller, angrier version of fitz.

But the "you're trapped with one tone for the rest of your life" is all bullshit. Just because fitz and jazz say it in every other thread doesn't make it true. I mean sure a cheap-ass low-end piece of shit excuse of a bass with a humbucker will give you only one tone - the notorious fart tone. Bu just pick up a Bongo and you'll know what I mean. I haven't played a Stingray in my life but I can safely say a Bongo is as versatile as a bass can get.
If you've got the cash and you can get hold of one, then maybe a Sandberg,hand crafted german basses, maybe something from the Basic range, I rather like the JM configuration, and they play a dream and the craftmanship is superb, they are also real thin and gorgeous,and something a bit different....

the Panther and California range may also interest you

http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/

that's their website, go check them out, they are around the same price as a Stingray, least in Birmingham they are, also on the website is a list of stores that stock them,so you may be able to find one near you

and kudos for the Primus-ness
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
But honestly, I think a Warwick will be ideal. Most of their basses work indredbly well in metal, as well as having the slap tone of a pissed off jazz.

For cost effectiveness, and still a bass you will keep for life, consider the Corvette standard. Ash for more treblely growl, bubinga for bludgoning low end, with a lower mid growl.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Angrier than the fitz?! Now you're really making me blush

Anyway, maybe I'm explaining this wrong... Hmm... The "singular tone" I'm talking about isn't necessarily how much bass is in your sound or how much mids or treble. Those can change and those will change and you can't do anything about that, regardless of the pickups. What I'm trying to get at is... the CHARACTER. That's the word I was looking for. Character. The character of humbuckers always come through, no matter what you do.

I'm such a fan of single coils because they don't have any inescapable characteristics. Yes, they have the bridge burp, and yes there's the neck warmth, but there's so many ways to get around all of the stereotypical single coil sounds. Same thing with a splitcoil. But I find a humbucker, no matter whether you EQ it and alter the pickup selection till Kingdom come, will always have that HUMBUCKER sound. It's always "HEY I'M A HUMBUCKER". And never, "yeah I can passively sit by and not give any added, unwanted shit to your sound".

I just find that humbuckers always have that little burp. It's kind of like a bridge pickup burp, but more... throaty. I suppose if you always want that characteristic in your sound you can do what you like, but I don't and therefore recommend against most basses with humbuckers.

Is that better?
I'd recommend a Spector for this type of stuff. They sound great slapped and also have a nice growl. PLUS, the lower-end models are good AND affordable. I sound like a Spector salesman, but I think too many people overlook them and I think Stingray's are vastly, vastly overpriced, but I'm not saying they're not quality.

Like others said, I'd look at Warwicks too, but I'd never recommend a Warwick without a Spector or vise-versa. They have different tones but both would work for this type of stuff.
signature
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Angrier than the fitz?! Now you're really making me blush

Anyway, maybe I'm explaining this wrong... Hmm... The "singular tone" I'm talking about isn't necessarily how much bass is in your sound or how much mids or treble. Those can change and those will change and you can't do anything about that, regardless of the pickups. What I'm trying to get at is... the CHARACTER. That's the word I was looking for. Character. The character of humbuckers always come through, no matter what you do.

I'm such a fan of single coils because they don't have any inescapable characteristics. Yes, they have the bridge burp, and yes there's the neck warmth, but there's so many ways to get around all of the stereotypical single coil sounds. Same thing with a splitcoil. But I find a humbucker, no matter whether you EQ it and alter the pickup selection till Kingdom come, will always have that HUMBUCKER sound. It's always "HEY I'M A HUMBUCKER". And never, "yeah I can passively sit by and not give any added, unwanted shit to your sound".

I just find that humbuckers always have that little burp. It's kind of like a bridge pickup burp, but more... throaty. I suppose if you always want that characteristic in your sound you can do what you like, but I don't and therefore recommend against most basses with humbuckers.

Is that better?

Better . That sort of cleared up what I thought you were implying, from what I gathered, I thought you were saying that single coils are universally better than humbuckers (I know you know better though). In response to you being angrier than fitz, hope and wish all you want; it's not going to happen . I haven't seen him around in a while, for some reason. That's not like him.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Maybe he got a life or something... NAH!

But then we won't have him here to terrorize the bass-playing community and keep up our already out-of-hand GAS problem.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

why not ibanez atk
they should do fine un funk and metal or both
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Uhhh....

Yeah.

Anyway, about tonal versatility of the Bongo: the humbucking pickup has a certain timbre that you cannot dial out. EQs, body woods, nothing - that timbre will be there. It's on the Stingray, the Bongo, the $$, the Vampyre, etc. It's the way the pickups are physically built - something to do with the dual coils. I've never claimed to be an electrician (or anything, really) so I can't explain why it is the way it is, but that froggy quality is always there. A good example is listen to the difference in the actual note and string response when soloing a Jazz pickup, or blending both. There's a certain "round edge" to the blended tone, and a certain clarity with the solo'd single coil.

With the two pickups, yes, you get some blending action and quite an overall spread, but you won't escape that froggy quality of the pickups - period. You'll always be able to tell the kind of pickup; it just may have some more bottom or twang. Sure, you can tell the sounds of many pickups, but I don't personally like the sound of humbuckers. Therefore, I don't like being able to tell that a bass has humbuckers.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..