Can someone please explain these to me. They have to do with chords, but I just don't understand what they are what they are for. Thanks!
I = 1
II = 2
III = 3
IV = 4
V = 5

?? They can do with anything, notes relative to a key, notes in a mode, chords relative to a key, notes relative to a chord

be specific where you saw them
It allows musicians to notate the same chord ideas in relative terms, like D G C is the same in relative terms as G C F, kind of like a musical algebra. Also lowercase numerals indicate a minor chord.

EDIT: Quite simply, they're used to indicate the chords in relation to the root chord of the key.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Useful in notating a chord progression without being limited to one key.

example: I IV V could be played in any key.

also , lower case specifies minor vi , upper case major IV, thus minor six chord and major four chord.
Playing classical string instruments, it means what position you should switch to to play the notes...
Quote by Shackman10
Playing classical string instruments, it means what position you should switch to to play the notes...

But we are on a guitar forum, and classical string players would know this allready. All the thread starter needs to know that the roman numerals are used in diatonic [seven tone scales] harmony to indicate which scale degree the chord is based upon.

that is a far less common question, and people who ask about that(or other less common usages of roman numerals) tend to be a bit more specific.