Well I'm looking for a distortion pedal to run through my Peavey Valveking Royal 8 for recording and was wondering what you guys and gals thought would help give me a tone from Shawn Lane and Guthrie Govan to Jason Becker and Paul Gilbert. My list of options so far are:

M I Audio Tube Zone
M I Audio Crunch Box
Fulltone Gt-500
T-Rex Bloody Mary
Z-vex Box of Metal
Wampler Plexnortion
Damage Control Solid Metal
Damage Control Demonizer
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem

So which do you guys think would be best? If you have any other recommendations that would be great. ThanksD
If your using a tube amp your better off using an OD to boost your natural distoriton rather then just covering it with a distoriton pedal IMO
You might wanna get something like a TubeScreamer or some other Overdrive, since u have tubes, and distortion doesnt sound as good as OD does with tubes IMO.
^ But an OD isn't going to give you that flexibility over the amps distorted tone, and it is only a tiddler

I've heard fab things about the Damage Control pedals, but you should keep in mind that a royal 8 won't get the best out of them
Quote by angryelephant3
Well I'm looking for a distortion pedal to run through my Peavey Valveking Royal 8 for recording and was wondering what you guys and gals thought would help give me a tone from Shawn Lane and Guthrie Govan to Jason Becker and Paul Gilbert. My list of options so far are:

M I Audio Tube Zone
M I Audio Crunch Box
Fulltone Gt-500
T-Rex Bloody Mary
Z-vex Box of Metal
Wampler Plexnortion
Damage Control Demonizer
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem

So which do you guys think would be best? If you have any other recommendations that would be great. ThanksD

If you go Damage Control, the Demonizer is the best IMHO.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Demonizer
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
^ He's not talking about covering a great tube OD with some ****ty pedal, these are decent. Most of these pedals are designed for and tested thru tube amps as well, I know that all the mI audio pedals are and they sound great through a clean tube amp. And no way an OD will get you great hi-gain tones like some of these pedals will.

I can only comment on the tubezone and crunchbox.

If you want a Marshally sound the crunchbox is great, but a heavy midrange sound is all it really does. Covers all the gain ranges you'd need, from clean to more gain than most need. Great pedal but might not exactly nail the tones you want.

The Tubezone is alot more versatile, and will prolly get you closer to the tones you want. It will not do a british sound as well as the CB tho.

Listen to the soundclips on the MI audio website, they are very close to what each pedal sounds like in real life, MI audio have done a good job with thier soundslips. Tho IMO they don't show all each pedal has to offer, you gotta play em, they're really touch sensative.

EDIT: lol alot of people posted before me in the time it took me to write this...
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
I'm getting a Vox AC15 in a few weeks. I will be using whichever pedal with that as well. Plus I love the clean tone of the Peavey
Quote by TGM
^ He's not talking about covering a great tube OD with some ****ty pedal, these are decent. Most of these pedals are designed for and tested thru tube amps as well, I know that all the mI audio pedals are and they sound great through a clean tube amp. And no way an OD will get you great hi-gain tones like some of these pedals will.

If you want a Marshally sound the crunchbox is great, but a heavy midrange sound is all it really does. Covers all the gain ranges you'd need, from clean to more gain than most need. Great pedal but might not exactly nail the tones you want.

The Tubezone is alot more versatile, and will prolly get you closer to the tones you want. It will not do a british sound as well as the CB tho.

Listen to the soundclips on the MI audio website, they are very close to what each pedal sounds like in real life, MI audio have done a good job with thier soundslips. Tho IMO they don't show all each pedal has to offer, you gotta play em, they're really touch sensative.

EDIT: lol alot of people posted before me in the time it took me to write this...

Are you referring to the Demonizer? Because the Demonizer is a high quality distortion unit that run on 12AX7s.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Is there a big difference in sound between the Demonizer and the Solid Metal? I think that I have narrowed it down to these four:
M I Audio Tube Zone
M I Audio Crunch Box
Damage Control Demonizer
Quote by angryelephant3
Is there a big difference in sound between the Demonizer and the Solid Metal? I think that I have narrowed it down to these four:
M I Audio Tube Zone
M I Audio Crunch Box
Damage Control Demonizer

The Solid Metal has more gain and is voiced a bit differently methinks.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by TGM

OY!

i was gonna say something about these not being ****ty metal zones or anything, but the good ****, but i was to lazy.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
USUALLY running a tube pedal over a tube amp isnt the best way its meant to be used...the thing is the damage control pedals arent really stompboxes but floor preamps. They re meant to be used as a portable, yet very good recording sound as you can run them directly into a mixer etc etc. Now in your case i d say ultimately buy a new amp...in the long run. Now i know you re gonna say no so i ll just say get either of the damage control pedals, try them in front of the amp BUT ALSO try them in the fx loop, using ur guitar connected to the "pedal" and the output of the pedal at the fx loop return. leave the send empty and the amp imput empty. this way ur amp----> preamp pedal is going directly into the poweramp.

Also i just read you want it for recording, so any floor preamp or rack preamp (think about these as well) would be when used by itself for recording.