I'm wondering if anyone can point out the major differences between a distortion pedal and an overdrive pedal - i'm wondering if I need both in my arsenal.

I play a kind of upbeat 12-bar bluesy shuffle, mainly on my Strat - through an MXR GT-OD overdrive pedal - and into my Line 6 Flexitone (generally using the cleaner sounding amp models). I'm very happy with the sounds I can get, the overdrive pedal sounds amazing no matter what the settings, rounding out my Strat without taking away any sting or bite, and adding nice sustain and harmonic complexity.

But, if I use the same setup and play the same thing through my 70's lawsuit Les Paul copy, it just sounds too thick and undefined. It sounds great if i'm rocking out to Guns n Roses or AC/DC, but playing my originals the Les Paul has too much punch and not enough sting. I know this is the classic trait of an LP, but i'm wondering if I invested in a distortion (just a mild distortion, not a death metal type gain) or fuzz pedal if it might make my Les Paul more useable to me.

Any thoughts/comments? I should point out that I am mainly a Strat man, and my LP copy is only a recent purchase so i'm yet to really get the best out of it.
Quote by ravenhaller
I'm wondering if anyone can point out the major differences between a distortion pedal and an overdrive pedal - i'm wondering if I need both in my arsenal.

I play a kind of upbeat 12-bar bluesy shuffle, mainly on my Strat - through an MXR GT-OD overdrive pedal - and into my Line 6 Flexitone (generally using the cleaner sounding amp models). I'm very happy with the sounds I can get, the overdrive pedal sounds amazing no matter what the settings, rounding out my Strat without taking away any sting or bite, and adding nice sustain and harmonic complexity.

But, if I use the same setup and play the same thing through my 70's lawsuit Les Paul copy, it just sounds too thick and undefined. It sounds great if i'm rocking out to Guns n Roses or AC/DC, but playing my originals the Les Paul has too much punch and not enough sting. I know this is the classic trait of an LP, but i'm wondering if I invested in a distortion (just a mild distortion, not a death metal type gain) or fuzz pedal if it might make my Les Paul more useable to me.

Any thoughts/comments? I should point out that I am mainly a Strat man, and my LP copy is only a recent purchase so i'm yet to really get the best out of it.

Okay, hmmm...A Boss DS-1 would be great for you...ever heard of John Frusciante? It'll give ya his tone in a heartbeat if you keep your amp clean and the distortion pedla mildly high, but if you switch to any kind of distorted setting it goes ape****. I also use an Lp style guitar (ESP EC-200) and it has more punch but if I use my SD or Ds-1's I get great tone. Lemme know how that works out for ya.
Go with an EHX USA Big Muff.

Has gobs of dark, warm distortion, and a hint of fuzz. Would not trade mine for the world.
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Okay, hmmm...A Boss DS-1 would be great for you...ever heard of John Frusciante? It'll give ya his tone in a heartbeat if you keep your amp clean and the distortion pedla mildly high, but if you switch to any kind of distorted setting it goes ape****. I also use an Lp style guitar (ESP EC-200) and it has more punch but if I use my SD or Ds-1's I get great tone. Lemme know how that works out for ya.

Actually I'm pretty sure Frusciante's DS-1 is modded as are most DS-1's used by pros, it really won't get you his tone in a heartbeat, he uses so many Digital processors (about 7 MOOGs) that it's virtually impossible to imitate
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90