Poll Options
View poll results: I ask for..
The floor model
29 60%
A new one from the back
19 40%
Voters: 48.
*beep beep beep* I have a question!
when you go to purchase a new guitar, do you take the floor model or ask the salesman for a new-in-box one from the back?
It's really your call. You can ask for a new one. You have to buy the floor model if that's all they have though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I buy the floor model. Not only could I maybe get a discount for this scratch and that and such, but I know I'm not getting a good one consider, well, I played it. Who knows what's wrong with the NIB ones.
It depends on a lot of circumstances. Some rules of thumb to follow:

- If you really like the floor model and the way it plays, sometimes it's best to go with that, unless you try out a back model and like that as well. The boxed model and the floor model may not play the same - the one in the back may be different.

- If all they have left is a floor model, you can use that as a bargaining chip. If it's not in the best condition (scratches/dents) or if it's been there for ages, negotiate with the salesman.

- If you end up with the floor model, always ask for a setup. It's a good thing to get, especially if it's been played by dozens of people and tuned/detuned/abused.

Personally, I haven't had any problems with floor models. The two guitars in my sig are both floor models, and I got them both for discounts (well, the C-1+ was bought on Black Friday for 20% off either way, but I still count that). Haven't had any problems.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Well, floor models scare me a bit. Several people have used it before me, and God knows what its been through. I have seen floor models that look like they've been beat to death. If I could, I would much rather take a new in box one. To me, floor models are never worth the money you save.
Be cool.
Ooops I didn't read the post and voted "one from the back of the store". Floor model, although in most shops I've been in I you don't need to ask, I still do out of politeness though...

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
I go for the one that's been played the most. Chances are its been hanging there a year or so, the woods begun to settle, the pickups aged, the neck broken in. Its obviously been very popular. I'll take a well worn matron over a tight virgin any day.
Quote by losing_life
get the floor model its all ready tuned up and stuff already

WHAT?!

You are going to buy a floor model because its already tuned up? That's the weirdest excuse in this entire thread
I usually buy a floor model, because if I like it enough to think about buying it, then I will have already developed a liking to that particular one.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
All of the guitars I own have been floor models (except for my strat - It was a "window model"), but I really don't care, as long as I like it. Of course floor models are sometimes pretty banged up, but I find that this only really happens in small shops. At Guitarcenter and Samash, they sell a bunch of guitars every week, so there are also a bunch of new guitars on the floor every week, so they're usually not banged up at all.
Quote by thedude051
Well, floor models scare me a bit. Several people have used it before me, and God knows what its been through. I have seen floor models that look like they've been beat to death. If I could, I would much rather take a new in box one. To me, floor models are never worth the money you save.

If you inspect it first, it doesn't matter where it's been or who played it.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
It really depends....if it plays/sounds well/good then yes, I got my Godin Freeway Floyd as a floor model, it was the only one they had - and I loved it!! (still do).

But primarily I'll go with NIB .
if you like the feel of that guitar your playing thats on the floor buy it, if you get it in box, make sure you look at it before buying it.
Two of my guitars were floor models. I got the SG the very day that it arrived and was put on the wall. If you want one from the back, you can play it a bit first, they shouldn't be pissed about that. It's your money they should let you try it out first!