My current gear is as follows:

Epiphone Les paul studio
Spider III 30w (Yes I know)

First I decided to look for a nice pedal to improve the sound, but from what I've gathered Digital + Digital = Vomit so that could be out of the question, unless people have had some experience with line 6 and metal pedals, which I was after. I saw a video of someone using the Metal Muff with a Spider III, but I'm still iffy on it.

Now what should I do? It would be much easier for me to buy myself some effects rather than a brand new amp, as I'd have to throw it up on ebay to get enough money.

I play alot of metal (Pantera, metallica, megadeth, slayer, Tool etc etc) and occasionally clean stuff like Jimi Hendrix and REM.

The things that have caught my eye so far are as follows:

Amps:
Marshall MG40 or something
Randall RX50D
Peavey Valveking royal 8 (5w)
Peavey Bandit 112
Kustom HV60/30 Hybrid Tech

Effects pedals:
Metal Muff
Boss ME-50
Korg Ax3000g
Digitech RP80

Can you kind of give me a rundown with what you think I should do?
I can't buy an amp and an effects pedal at one go it's one or the other.
Sorry about this guys, I've posted before but kind of completely changed my mind on this.
if you hated your line 6 spider
you'll hate the mg even more.

royal is a very nice choice
and you'd be good with an overdrive pedal in front of it.
trust me, it'll sound alot better than just a straight up distortion pedal.
i haven't played one, but from what people say, an MG won't be much of a step up from a Spider tone-wise
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Since you are in the UK, I suggest you take a look at the Laney LC15. It will need an OD to push it into Metal territory, but a Bad Monkey doesn't cost much and does the job. Peavey Royal 8 is another option along with the Crate Palomino V8, but you'd still need the OD pedal for metal.

Stay away from the MG, and I can't speak for the other hybrids and SS amps you listed, but I would suggest going tube if you can.

On the effects side of things, If you buy a tube amp, buy a OD pedal and not a distortion pedal. Also, MFX turns your tube tone into a more digital sound, and IMO kills the whole point of buying a tube amp.

I would buy one of the little tube amps and a OD pedal.

To the guy above me: Jimi is a lot cleaner than Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, etc.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Last edited by _KurtCobain_77 at Feb 2, 2008,
The Marshall MG is worse than the Spider.
I'd go for a Palomino. I know ts a standard response but its a good one.
For the pedal would not go with the Metal Muff.
The RP80 would be okay, but I think the ME-50 would be slightly better.
The best thing to do I believe though would be to get a Palomino and then get a cheap multi effects pedal, like an RP(#).
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
Quote by Zephyr77
Jimi Hendrix = clean?

what are you smoking

Hey Joe
The Wind Cries Mary
Littlewing
Castles made of sand

Go for a Laney LC15 and an overdrive.

Does your budget include the sale of the Line 6 trash?
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
Thanks for all the responses guys.
My budget is basically £200ish if I sold the Line 6, but I'd imagine I'd manage to get rid of it so £200 is a realistic budget for me.

Ok so here are the amps that look interesting from what you guys have said:

Palomino V8 5w
Palomino V16 15w
Laney LC15
Peavey Royal

Would a 5w valve amp be enough to play over drums?
And why would putting an overdrive pedal be better than just a distortion pedal? I'm a bit confused about this, is it simple because you'd lose the Valve's tone by having a pedal infront of it?
Can you actyally get the Palomino over here? I dont think so.

But the LC15 is an awesome amp.

Overdrive pedals work better because they push the amps valves and sound more natural, nothing wrong with distortion pedals, just depends on what you need. You can also layer it with the amps gain allready for more gain.
^ I'd suggest a 15 watt amp for drums.
Overdrive pedal is not as harsh, most people agree it sounds better.
Yeah you're right becky, don't think Palomino over here in britain, even much so in wales so unfortunately that's a nono for me.

Horlicks - It may sound better but does it really have enough distortion for metal like I'll be playing alot?
it tightens up low gain, so you get a great metal tone, and high-gain if necesary
Well if I post something I recorded from my current amp hopefully it'll give you an idea of how much better the laney's distortion should sound for me:
http://rapidshare.com/files/88829784/wakeup1.wav.html
(ignore the actual song, I was playing it on an off day, but I'd just like someone to confirm that the laney 15's distortion (albeit with an overdrive pedal) will sound better than that.

Also, if an overdrive pedal is the optimum choice, which one?
Last edited by mansoor.h at Feb 3, 2008,
The Laney seems like a good choice for some really nice sounding clean stuff, but it's a bit of a price curve for something that I'd need to invest in to get good distortion out of which is what I'll be using primarily.

How does the ValveKing fair up to it?

For the same price Peavey Bandit 112 didn't seem so bad plus it looked gig worthy, anyone have any experience with these? From what I've heard so far the distortion sounds alright on it.
LC>VK.

For bedroom playing the LCs great, sparkly cleans, smooth distortion. The VK and LC probably have the same levels of gain from my memory. Of course the VK had the boost switch, but that just added fizz and buzzing to the sound..

Peavey make good SS amps, for beginers, but the fact is, its not really an upgrade from the Spider to it.
Quote by beckyjc
LC>VK.

For bedroom playing the LCs great, sparkly cleans, smooth distortion. The VK and LC probably have the same levels of gain from my memory. Of course the VK had the boost switch, but that just added fizz and buzzing to the sound..

Peavey make good SS amps, for beginers, but the fact is, its not really an upgrade from the Spider to it.

Uh oh, Becky's here... GET A LANEY!!!!!!!!!!! TEY ARE TEH PWN!!!

<.<

>.>

Jay Kay

The LC15 is actually a great little amp albeit a bit bright. I'd take the VK if you play heavier music but overall I'd take the LC. Better cleans and the drive is pretty bumpin'!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by beckyjc
Not always get a Laney, just get a Laney over the VK. =o

I know. I was just messing around! I wasn't taking pot shots or anything. Forgive me?

Back on topic. If you still want to stick with solid state, check out the Randall RH150G3. I had one for a bit and it did br00talz like no one's bidness.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by beckyjc
Same here. You may be forgiven if you do some more promotion.

haha! Can do.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
atleast get to the store to try a vk, it's a great amp that can handle nearly any gener perfectlywith an od.
I'd recommend a Laney LC-15R- possibly VC-15 if you can get the amount of funds (it's just over £200).

But I got a LC-15R last week, and it's absolutely amazing. It really is! Much, much better sounding than solid-state amps in this price range.
Quote by mansoor.h
Found a used Laney TFX-1 50w for £100, worth it guys!?

Well, the TFX series are pretty alright, it has a pretty nice crunch that isn't overly harsh. but I think I'd still stick with the LC15. Then again, I can't be without my valves for very long.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Hah alright, just thinking about my options, I think I'll have to drop by into town and play with a few amps, although there isn't too many stores: cranes, some side store and gamlins (the nice guys who recommended me the spider).
Quote by mansoor.h
Hah alright, just thinking about my options, I think I'll have to drop by into town and play with a few amps, although there isn't too many stores: cranes, some side store and gamlins (the nice guys who recommended me the spider).

Yeah, just try them out. That's your best bet. You're the one buying the amp after all, not us.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Yeah cheers for the help, it's just good to know what to look for rather than going in blind and having a sales person sell you a ****ty amp.

The Peavey Envoy 110 didn't look so bad for the same price.
Quote by mansoor.h
Yeah cheers for the help, it's just good to know what to look for rather than going in blind and having a sales person sell you a ****ty amp.

The Peavey Envoy 110 didn't look so bad for the same price.

Peavey solid states like that are great for what they are, practice amps. But if you need something louder or are going to be jamming with people, I'd recommend something else.

Just go try them out!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Just go try them out!

+1, just remember to try the amps out at the volume you would practice at, but then also push them to gigging volume, because you might have to push the SS amp too hard to get over drums, where as one of the small valve amps will sound blissful when cranked. Just another thing to remember.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
the bandits basicly a hubrid version of the VK 112 but id say if you need anywherer near gigging volume itd be better than the royal. theres a few decent vids on youtube of the bandit and it sounds pretty cool