As the title implies, I'm finally preparing to sell off (i.e. jettison off the nearest highway overpass) my Marshall MG100HDFX. I'm searching for a new amp. This'll be used for home practice and hopefully band practice and some smallish gigs. The band I'm getting together will probably play some blues rock with a modern edge to it, but I do dabble in a little metal too.

Some bands I play: Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Evanescence, Chevelle, Metallica, SOAD, Robin Trower, BB King, Cream, Alice in Chains, Flyleaf, CCR, Collective Soul, Black Sabbath, and others.

A pretty diverse pallate in other words. I'm thinking of something like a 30ish-watt tube combo. I've got a $500 budget that I might be able to stretch to $550. Some ideas I have (all used):
Peavey Classic 30
Traynor YCV40
Crate Palomino V32

Any other suggestion, (any possible amps I'm missing, or advice is appreciated.
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim
You live up to your name, sir. Well done.

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

I witnessed Night of the Pear 2
Last edited by floydian07 at Feb 2, 2008,
MG's aren't that bad. It's just a big bandwagon thing. Buy a new amp after you've developed an ear for tone.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
But TS, I heard that the MG's overdrive was CRUSHING.

..Had to.

I'm diggin' that Classic 30.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
i honestly suggest getting the Peavey. A friend of mine has a peavey classic and his tone always sounds great. he plays a lot of bluesy rock, too.
^ My ear for tone has been developed by the MG. And tortured. I've had it for over a year and a half. The cleans are lackluster and sterile. The overdrive is painful. The effects are digital and untweakable. Yeah, it's pretty bad.

EDIT: ^ I was waiting that "crushing" reference, rofl. :lol:
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

Well I may be biased for saying this because I own it but the JCM900 is pretty versatile for those types of music, because I pretty much play the same stuff as you. The cleans are nice and warm and you can get a nice overdrive on it. Though for metal you'd probably need an OD pedal. The JCM I have is 100watt but you can lower taht to 50 with a switch on the back so you may wanna check it out.
But knowing me I may be talking jibberish and one of the more knowledgable guys here can help
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by rafarquhar
But TS, I heard that the MG's overdrive was CRUSHING.

..Had to.

I'm diggin' that Classic 30.

"Totally Slamming"

All the amps you listed TS, are very good amps. Would a used JCM800 be too much $$?

Anyways, just go try out the ones you listed, and pick the one you like the most.

You will want an OD for your metal tones though.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
^ Yeah I'm planning on trying some out next week. Yeah the JCM800/900 is pushing it. I'll consider it though, it could be a viable option.

Check my sig. I've got an OCD so OD is pretty well covered.
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

Where in cleveland do you live?

edit:
I like two of those amps.
The traynor I've never tried but have heard good things.
The classic and crate are good amps for blues and you can always get some sort of pedal if you're only dabbling in metal.
A/B then at GC and see which one you like better.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Not a fan of the JCM 800. We use it at the rehearsal room and its tinny with not enough gain. Each to their own i guess
Classic 30 and maybe a bad monkey OD pedal would be awesome. U definately need some sort of OD for metal, but u can get some decent OD from just the amp.
^ I live in Brunswick its a suburb of Cleveland bout a half hour away. Why?
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

Quote by floydian07
^ I live in Brunswick its a suburb of Cleveland bout a half hour away. Why?

I moved from Cleveland a while ago, it'd be cool to meet some people I used to go to school with on UG.
I lived in Univ. Heights.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by qotsa1998
Classic 30 and maybe a bad monkey OD pedal would be awesome. U definately need some sort of OD for metal, but u can get some decent OD from just the amp.

He has an OCD. His OD needs are definatly covered.
hm.. well, you sound like you're in the same boat as I was a few months ago. I ended up getting a used MESA F30 for $545, and I absolutely love it. If I have one complaint, it's that it sounds slightly muddy without the Contour on, but I'm getting an OD to rectify that.
Nice, a fellow Northeast Ohioan!! Good to see someone who at least used to live here lol.

EDIT: ^ Can the F-30 really get a nice crunch/od for blues and lighter stuff? Seems more metal oriented to me.
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

Get the Traynor. It's a great amp.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by floydian07
Nice, a fellow Northeast Ohioan!! Good to see someone who at least used to live here lol.

EDIT: ^ Can the F-30 really get a nice crunch/od for blues and lighter stuff? Seems more metal oriented to me.

Yes. The cleans are great and the light OD is very nice. No Plexi or Bassman but it is good.
Quote by floydian07

I actually prefer its bluesy to its br00talz tone, it's not really what you'd expect from MESA. Given, the high- gain stuff still sounds great, but some of the best tones I've gotten out of it were either funk- rockish or bluesy. The cleans are spectacular, as well.
The Classic 50 I have, has gotten me some nice Clapton/Gilmourish-esque tones.

If the 30 is anything like it the amp should be versatile enough to cover most classic rock/blues.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I'll have to check that out then (the F-30). Thanks.
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

Might be a good idea to sell the MG to some rich kid to boost your budget a bit. Hehe.
^ That's what I'm planning to do anyway. *flashes evil grin and cackles*

Well, I'll sell it to some tone noob anyway, lol. I need to just to get up to like $500
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

Classic 30's are pretty great sounding amps from what I've heard.
Plus, it's Peavey. It'll be built like a ****ing tank.
Yeah I think they're made in the U.S. still atleast my 50 was. Not sure if that's important anymore but yeah the box says it was made in U.S. which seems to be a good thing in most cases never really understood why though.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows