I've been playing for 4 years, reading music for almost 1, and I think its about time I had better timing. So I'm trying to play with a metronome for the very first time and it's really frustrating. It seems like it's wrong sometimes, which my teacher said can happen at first. Will I get used to this/did anyone else have this problem?

[also, if I'm doing 4 beats per measure and want to speed it up from 60 beats per minute, what should I set the bpm at? 90?]
you got soul, or so you say. hey, i say you don't!

Quote by Sol9989
Yeah it seems odd at first, especially with weird patterns but it will help in the long run. Just stick with it.

Also.. bpm means beats per minute so if you want 60 you should just set it at 60? Maybe I didn't understand your question... ?
"The sounds of the universe were joined together according to musical concord" -Plato

Quote by adamungar1
Don't quote me, but I think it's a requirement to pledge allegiance if you're running for president :S

myspace.com/musicartenergy
AIM: enmusicerartgy
Quote by enmusicerartgy
Yeah it seems odd at first, especially with weird patterns but it will help in the long run. Just stick with it.

Also.. bpm means beats per minute so if you want 60 you should just set it at 60? Maybe I didn't understand your question... ?

oops sorry, I meant the metronome on my computer is automatically set at 60 bpm, so if I want it faster than that but not as fast as 120 bpm, what should I set it to? I'm not really sure how that works and I don't want to make it something uneven or weird.

Quote by Sol9989
Change it to something you can play at. We can't tell you how fast you can play.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Clandestine1
I've been playing for 4 years, reading music for almost 1, and I think its about time I had better timing. So I'm trying to play with a metronome for the very first time and it's really frustrating. It seems like it's wrong sometimes, which my teacher said can happen at first. Will I get used to this/did anyone else have this problem?

[also, if I'm doing 4 beats per measure and want to speed it up from 60 beats per minute, what should I set the bpm at? 90?]

Try making more profound accents, that will help.

As for tempo, people generally move up in increments of 10 until they can play at the desired speed. Also, you will eventually hit a plateau [probably between 80 and 200, depending on your ability.]. When you hit this plateau, keep practicing at the maximum speed at which you are able to play cleanly. Keep this up for a while, and then increase the metronome by a few bpm.
Quote by Clandestine1
So I'm trying to play with a metronome for the very first time and it's really frustrating. It seems like it's wrong sometimes, which my teacher said can happen at first. Will I get used to this/did anyone else have this problem?

What you are experiencing is that you thought you had good timing, but you don't.

Probably what you're going to try and do is use the metronome like a stopwatch
(how fast can I go?). That will defeat the purpose. What you want to use it for
is gauging *precision* in your timing. You're notes should be hitting EXACTLY on
the click -- not a little before or after. If you're finding it frustrating 60 BPM is
probably just about right where you want to be for playing 16th notes.

When you have good control of your precision at slower speeds, you'll find it
much easier turning up the BPM.
Quote by edg
What you are experiencing is that you thought you had good timing, but you don't.

...sorry...I felt like that was necessary.

=P

I have the same problem though, so I just resorted to my off-beat drummer. Haha.
Speaking of metronomes, I'm looking for a programable metronome...for instance: if I want to play in 7/4 and accent particular beats. Are there any top dollar metronomes like this?
^ Guitar Pro?
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by 5/4
Speaking of metronomes, I'm looking for a programable metronome...for instance: if I want to play in 7/4 and accent particular beats. Are there any top dollar metronomes like this?

Zetronome
I find this one works for all sort of my weird timings. You can customize the clicks to become a drum beat or add in accents if you like.
Quote by sTx
^ Guitar Pro?

Terrible metronome. I can hardly hear over it when I play without an amp. It is the only metronome that will go past 208 that I have though.
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
Quote by BadBishop
Terrible metronome. I can hardly hear over it when I play without an amp. It is the only metronome that will go past 208 that I have though.

The one I recommended can reach 300
Quote by BadBishop

Turn your speakers down. I use GP all the time as a metronome.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by SSDDPunkRocker

...sorry...I felt like that was necessary.

=P

I have the same problem though, so I just resorted to my off-beat drummer. Haha.

Not pwned, cuz I already admitted I had bad timing.

Quote by Sol9989