One of my friends has a gig coming up soon and the place is around the size of auditorium or hall....maybe 400 or 500.

The place is supposed to have a micing system but I don't know how good or bad it is. Probably not great though....

Anyways he only has a 15 watt amp.

So 1) We were thinking of having him plug a Digitech RP-50 into the speaker system directly.

Or 2) He could try micing up my Vox ad30vt...however when he tried it at practice today the amp began to feedback badly and not hold up so well.

So is the RP50 idea possible? And does it sound decent or usable?

Or should he just settle for micing up the Vox and trying to control the amp?

Edit: The gig is expected really soon and he can't get new gear right away so we're trying to see if any of those other possibilities would work for the time being.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I had an RP-50 and from what I remember, it was terrible. Mic the Vox up.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
This may not be the answer you are looking for, but you can rent amps to use for just one show.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by FrenchBread
This may not be the answer you are looking for, but you can rent amps to use for just one show.

+1, a 15 watt amp in an auditorium is just a bad idea, and micing amps for live use is pretty irritating.

Is it a battle of the bands- type thing, or just his band? If there will be other bands, he can talk to one of the other guitarists and ask to borrow his.
^ 15 watts is fine for micing up in a place like that, you just have to get the mic position and the sound board set up correctly to control the feedback, plus the use of volume controls etc
man I had a show last year with a crowd of 500 and at sound check our rhythm guitarists amp blew and he had to use a ****ty ass 10 watt practice amp from the 80's with a digitech grunge in front of it and it worked, it didn't sound too good but it worked.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
^ Actually that's not a bad idea he could borrow a louder amp, but they don't know any of the other bands playing.

As for renting he can't find any available places near by.

And if he mics it i'll be my 30 watt Valvetronix which should work but feedbacks and stuff.

It;s either micing the valvetronix or going directly in with an RP50/
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

try keeping the vox at a lower volume level then mic it.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by sheldonpardy
try keeping the vox at a lower volume level then mic it.

Or turn the gain down!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by zeppelinpage4
^ Actually that's not a bad idea he could borrow a louder amp, but they don't know any of the other bands playing.

As for renting he can't find any available places near by.

And if he mics it i'll be my 30 watt Valvetronix which should work but feedbacks and stuff.

It;s either micing the valvetronix or going directly in with an RP50/

Then go start trying out different mic placement options, and get him to control his feedback.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
why not just let him use your amp?
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by igotabcrich32
why not just let him use your amp?

I am in my first and second post that's what we were originally planning but he said the amp was just getting by and feedbacking at those volumes.

So I thought as a second option he could directly use the RP50 with the speakers.

However it seems that the Vox is probably his only option. I'm sure with proper micing and all he should do alright another friend of mine gigged the Vox last year and it sounded pretty good.

I just wanted to ask if the RP50 directly in would sound better.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
I am in my first and second post that's what we were originally planning but he said the amp was just getting by and feedbacking at those volumes.

So I thought as a second option he could directly use the RP50 with the speakers.

However it seems that the Vox is probably his only option. I'm sure with proper micing and all he should do alright another friend of mine gigged the Vox last year and it sounded pretty good.

I just wanted to ask if the RP50 directly in would sound better.

I meant your C50, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
^ No problem

I was considering that but the amp weighs about two tons (exaggeration of course. ) SO transporting it for a school gig like that wasn't possible as he has to take a bus in.

That's the biggest issue being the weight and transportation.
Also i'm a bit reluctant to hand off my new baby to someone else. Of course being a good friend I probably would but it's a last resort sort of thing, with me not being at the show to make sure it's there and all. I wouldn't want to risk my main and only amp for the next couple of years.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
He could try micing up my Vox ad30vt...however when he tried it at practice today the amp began to feedback badly and not hold up so well.

The AD30VT has a line out, have you tried running a line from there to the PA? I'd think that'd be your best bet.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
+1, a 15 watt amp in an auditorium is just a bad idea, and micing amps for live use is pretty irritating.

Not if you know what your doing. Or the sound engineer.
mic up your amp. if it's a legit gig, there will be people there who can help you figure it out. even if it's just your school, the sound tech people ought to be able to help.

anyway that's not a very big show. i've done many in a 650-person hall and i never had to turn my 40w hrd up past about 4 or 5. plus remember that if it's an auditorium, chances are the acoustics are going to be very very good. you might not think the sound is loud enough, but your friend really does NOT need to turn the amp up very high.
when i played the star spangeled banner for my school in the gym, i ran my rp-80 straight into the pa system. had a real compressed solid state crunch and i liked the way its sounded
Quote by Joey Walker
Quote by anaoshak
look at all those knobs, he must have a mean tone.

Bottle caps buddy, they are bottle caps

Quote by Shib
The internet: Men are men, women are men and little girls are FBI agents.
Quote by slatsmania
The AD30VT has a line out, have you tried running a line from there to the PA? I'd think that'd be your best bet.

The AD30vt has a line out? Awesome.

That'll probably be his best chance if using a mic doesn't work. Thanks Slats

Quote by climhazzard
mic up your amp. if it's a legit gig, there will be people there who can help you figure it out. even if it's just your school, the sound tech people ought to be able to help.

anyway that's not a very big show. i've done many in a 650-person hall and i never had to turn my 40w hrd up past about 4 or 5. plus remember that if it's an auditorium, chances are the acoustics are going to be very very good. you might not think the sound is loud enough, but your friend really does NOT need to turn the amp up very high.

Good to know, the acoustics are something I never considered.

As I mentioned the same ad30vt was gigged last year at this place and it sounded fine so the feedback and not cutting through may just have been the area he was practicing in.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Feb 2, 2008,
Quote by slatsmania

And Slats does it again!

Though seriously, that sounds like it'd be the best bet in his situation.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
I asked him but i'm the only one who can lend an amp right now. We're gonna see if any other bands there are willing to share however the Vox is probably the best option. Especially if Slats line out idea works.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
I asked him but i'm the only one who can lend an amp right now. We're gonna see if any other bands there are willing to share however the Vox is probably the best option. Especially if Slats line out idea works.

They might be - try to find out in advanced though (obviously). From my experience a lot of people don't mind sharing equipment at gigs so you/he might be okay.
^ Alright thanks for the advice.We know one of the other bands and if they already have their gear, they should be fine with lending an amp.

And it's actually his gig, i'm just trying to help out.

Can't seem to find a band myself so i'm just concentrating on becoming a better player and learning theory.