So, if hybrids have a tube in the preamp thing, does that mean it will eventually need replaced just like in "all tube" amps?

Also, is there a big difference between the types of speakers they use in the different models?...cus the AD50VT is the only one w/ a celestion in it...the others just have Vox Originals...whatever that is...

One more thing, The AD15 and 30VT's don't have external speaker outputs...only the line/phone thing...what's the difference between the two kinds of outputs besides the line/phone one muting the internal speaker? Or is there another difference?
The external speaker outputs power speakers. The line outs send the preamp signal out and converts it to a line level signal. The Celestions are probably better then the Vox originals. Yes you'll need to replace the tube, probably every 2 or so years.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Nope. Just take the back off and change it. Kinda like changing a lightbulb.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Nope. u just have to open up the back, take the tube out, pop in the replacement one, and maybe get it rebiased by a tch. But to have to do that every 2 years, its not expensive.
cool...is there a huge difference between the different kinds of 12ax7 tubes? On musicians friend people seem to like the tungsol 12ax7...and it's not too expensive...what makes some tubes like $100?
Just don't touch the new tube with your fingers, use a cloth. The oils leave cold spots on the tube, leaving it prone to shattering and such.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I guess that doesn't apply to lightbulbs though...lol, can you answer my question above?^^
Quote by Weavel33
I guess that doesn't apply to lightbulbs though...lol, can you answer my question above?^^

Different quality and characteristics.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
alright, I guess that makes sense...lol...so do you know if the stock tube in the valvetronix is...up to par...I mean...would you replace it before it broke...if so, how much would it improve the tonal quality?

I'm not sure what the stock tube is...oh well...
Last edited by Weavel33 at Feb 2, 2008,
It is an Electro-Harmonix 12AX7. I put a groove tube 12AX7 in mine. It sounds a little better.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by Weavel33
alright, I guess that makes sense...lol...so do you know if the stock tube in the valvetronix is...up to par...I mean...would you replace it before it broke...if so, how much would it improve the tonal quality?

I'm not sure what the atock tube is...oh well...

The stock tube is fine in the Vox. Change the tube when you start noticing decreased volume/gain out of your amplifier or when no sound is audible.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Stock tube will be an EHX 12AX7.

Most stores around here reccommend changing it every 2 years, because its not acting as a pre-amp. I'd say switch it for a Tung Sol 12AX7, unless you want to pay for a NOS tube.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The stock tube is fine in the Vox. Change the tube when you start noticing decreased volume/gain out of your amplifier or when no sound is audible.

So that's like the signs for a dead tube?

Quote by Cofflecakes
Stock tube will be an EHX 12AX7.

Most stores around here reccommend changing it every 2 years, because its not acting as a pre-amp. I'd say switch it for a Tung Sol 12AX7, unless you want to pay for a NOS tube.

Most of the time I prefer to avoid paying.=P
Quote by qotsa1998
Nope. u just have to open up the back, take the tube out, pop in the replacement one, and maybe get it rebiased by a tch. But to have to do that every 2 years, its not expensive.

get it rebiased by a tech? is this right? i thought it was just power tubes that get rebiased?
Quote by Sepulturick
get it rebiased by a tech? is this right? i thought it was just power tubes that get rebiased?

I don't think it needs to be biased. It's acting as a power tube, so that might confuse some people.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
I've had mine for about 3 years. I haven't replaced the tube yet, sounds like the day I got it (for good or bad).

Of course, I don't play 8 hours a day... I really wish I had the time to do that like some of you!
My Gear:
'05 ESP LTD EC-400
'67 Gibson ES-120T (Original)
'05 Vox AD30VT
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb Black Face (Original)
Quote by qotsa1998

Im pretty sure preamp tubes don't need rebiasing.
Basically its adjusting the voltage that the tube is running on which will affect the sound. Kind of makes it warmer or colder. This only applies to power tubes.

If you haven't replaced the speaker in your Vox do that before you replace the tube.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Flabby low end and harsh highs. Its generally a bit cheap and nasty.
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
Two things:
1- The tube in the Valvetronix is not in the Pre-Amp, it's in the Power Amp
2- This tube has low voltage running through it, u probably won't never need to change it

For info about valvetronix, I recommend u www.valvetronix.net/forum
You don't need to change it at all, because it runs pretty cold and doesnt do much for your sound anyway.
Some people change it because it tightens the higher gain channels up more to something more expensive.

You basically need to peel it apart to get to the valve... If they were meant to be changed they would've made it much easier.
Ok, I have another question.

Today I went to guitar center to play the AD50VT that I played last time I was there. But the only models that were on a shelf where you could actually see the controls were the AD100VT and the AD15VT. So I played the 100. Now last time when I played the AD50VT, it sounded great. I really liked it. But today, playing the AD100VT...well...it felt a little weak...

Now, it's supposed to sound better at higher volumes with proportionate wattage, right?...but I obviously had no access to the back panel, so I could not tweak the wattage. And I wasn't going to crank it all the way up with a bunch of people in there, so I was wondering How much better does it sound at higher volumes?

g's...I hope that made sense.
Quote by Weavel33

Now, it's supposed to sound better at higher volumes with proportionate wattage, right?...but I obviously had no access to the back panel, so I could not tweak the wattage. And I wasn't going to crank it all the way up with a bunch of people in there, so I was wondering How much better does it sound at higher volumes?

Well, if I get just the right combination of gain, master volume, and volume on mine, it does sound a little better when cranked. But, nothing to write home about.
My Gear:
'05 ESP LTD EC-400
'67 Gibson ES-120T (Original)
'05 Vox AD30VT
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb Black Face (Original)
Quote by Weavel33
Ok, I have another question.

Today I went to guitar center to play the AD50VT that I played last time I was there. But the only models that were on a shelf where you could actually see the controls were the AD100VT and the AD15VT. So I played the 100. Now last time when I played the AD50VT, it sounded great. I really liked it. But today, playing the AD100VT...well...it felt a little weak...

g's...I hope that made sense.

hey I knwo what you mean I actually have a AD50 2x12 so at the store I usually use ad100 because it is the only one they have with two speakers. And I had the same issue until it came to me, One of the features of AD series is that you can change the power of the with this little knob on the back so if you turn that up it will get the full power.
Wow, you suck. You just bumped a thread that shouldn't exist anymore.

*reported*
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993