I'm building a chapman stick because they're too expensive and I can't get one in the UK.

Anyway, I've looked at the specs and know what I need, but it's just the body... I did work experience in a guitar shop and worked on guitars the whole time, wiring pickups, refretting, that kinda stuff, but the only thing I didn't do, or witness - was how to make a body or anything like that.

Typically I can't find a chapman stick body by itself so I will have to make one myself, it's just I've never done anything like this before... could anyone help me? Just a step in the right direction would be appreciated.

If you don't know what a Chapman stick is, maybe this will remind you:
Body? I don't see a body... It's just a one-piece. Same as a neck-through neck, only there is no body to go through, and it is a lot wider.
Yeah sorry I mean like the base/neck. I have no experience of wood cutting or anything.
Quote by Morphox
Yeah sorry I mean like the base/neck. I have no experience of wood cutting or anything.
It sounds like you'd be getting in waaaay over your head, on something like this.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Yeah, you might be getting in over your head.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
If you had the hardware and everything for something like this it seems like it would bea very straightforward one day build. I'd build one to show you how I'd do it but i honestly don't want one.

First off, I'd make it a 5 piece neck for stability. you'll want a truss rod or two and graphite reinforcement rods.

Just start by drawing up a normal neck through neck and go from there.
Any idea where you'll get the hardware?
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
i was thinking about how to do one of these myself. i would however make a few changes here and there because some of the parts on the stick are just not available.

for example.... those 45 degree angled frets???

i was imagining that you would have to start from scratch with a wider than normal peice of wood for the neck, which would have to extend past the point of where the bridge would be. if that helps you any...
Last edited by Beets! at Feb 15, 2008,
Quote by Beets!
i was thinking about how to do one of these myself. i would however make a few changes here and there because some of the parts on the stick are just not available.

for example.... those 45 degree angled frets???

What? Those are the pickups.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
That would be really easy, actually; just need a fret file.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
might be seeing one of these in a thread here soon then! lol

can the company sue for someone making a similar instrument design?
I gave a quick look, but does anyone have the specs on the stick guitar? I have built a few guitars and they are all science projects so this is just what the doctor ordered. It's probably right in front of me. Thanks,
Tommy O